What PUPs should I drop into my Heritage 535?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by infiniteposse, Aug 18, 2006.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Hi all-

I've had my Heritage 535 for about 5 years or so now and while it's not my #1 by far, I can't bare the thought of parting with it. It's a great player and sometimes I'm in love with the sound and sometime not... I ordered it with Seth Lovers at the recommendations of many folks at the FDP and while they're perfectly nice pups, they're a little bland to my ears for some reason. I just often don't get excited by the sound anymore and was curious if there was something else out there that might be a better fit.

Sound-wise, I tend to like slightly gritty, hairy guitar sounds that are on the verge of break-up. The Seth Lover's are sometimes just a little too smooth for my tastes I think. I'd like something a little more gritty I think.

Amp and pedal-wise, my main amp is a DRRI with an OCD and a Barber silver LTD doing most of the break-up duties.

I've wondered about Lollars or perhaps Frailins, but really, I'm just going by reading so far and haven't heard any of these pups so far, so I'd love some educated opinions.

Many thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silot

silot Member

What you're after, really won't be difficult to find.
    If you follow the current trend of WCR's , you'll probably end up satisfied as everyone tends to like them.
    Some interesting alternatives are the very-very interesting Pafs that Ben at True Tone Technologies is making, and the German guy named Haeussel,that makes a terrific slightly "hot" Paf, very sensitive to pick dynamics and beautifully compressed when driven.
    Another interesting pickup, more "mainstream" though, is the sig Eric Johnson Humbucker from DiMarzio.
    Tried a set installed at a 335 and was really excited !

3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

You probably want humbuckers, but...

The only thing keeping me from putting Harmonic Design Z90's in my 335 is the fact that I own five P90 guitars already. I know a great player who has a set in his 335 and it is killer.

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Hee hee. I pick up my Hamer 335 knock-off tomorrow.

I'm having Z-90's installed and can't wait.

5. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I'll second the motion on WCR pickups. My favorite setup is Jim's Darkburst/Crossroads combo, with RS Guitarworks Superpots. Extremely versatile.

6. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

What about Lollar's? How would they sound? Any Opinions?

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

I dropped a set of Lollar "Lo-wind" Imperials inot my 335 along with a set of Hoveland tonecaps and I love them. Sweet, clear, articulate and rich in tone, they are. Maybe too sweet and clear for you. You should look into a set of Fralin P-92's in a little "hotter" wind than standard. They are an amazing pickup and my current favorite.
    [​IMG]

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Wow! That is one beautiful 335. What do they call that color?

9. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys. I have a few questions...

What are Hoveland tonecaps? What do the "RS Guitarworks Superpots" do exactly? How would they differ from the stock pots in my 535?

Re: the low-wind Lollars, I was kind of thinking low-wind something or other would be the answer. I'll look into the options mentioned.

Thanks again. Very interested to hear anymore thoughts. It's good to know there's some options out there.

10. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wolfetone Caretaker set or Marshallhead set. There are reviews at HC and a few forums.

11. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

TV Jones humbucker-sized Classic Filtertrons.

12. T. Caster

T. Caster Member

I'm looking into this for a recently acquired Ibanez AS 73, thought that the Harmonic Design humbuckers looked interesting, as well as the Z-90's, but will be on the lookout for any posts about 335 pickup swaps.

Dan

13. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

If I was holding on to my 335 I was going to put in a set of WCR Crossroads. I heard a 335 with them installed and it was a tone monster.

I have a friend that has a set of Crossroads in a Hamer Studio and it has a real early Dicky Betts tone, where in the 335 they had more of an edge, more like early Larry Carlton ala Kid Charlemange.

14. mainsale

mainsale Member

My 335 is Walnut in color.

15. BigBone

BigBone Member

I'd love to be able to go to a web site that had sound clips of different pups played through a couple of guitars. Perhaps a fender and a lp . I'm surprized a lot of the pup manufacturers don't even have one sound clip. :dude

16. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

The RS Superpots are supposed to test out at 500k to 600k, none below 500k. Really makes a difference for the neck pickup. The Superpots I've installed have run from about 530k to around 570k. The pots might not be an issue since you've got a Heritage. Gibson 500k pots seem to read from 400k to around 450k - makes the neck pickup really muddy. Doesn't hurt the check your existing pots, though.

17. tommyg

tommyg Member

Seth Lovers...love them in my 535. Whatever you pick, make sure the pups are not potted to maintain their "airyness"...