What pups to replace 57 Classic?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tele81, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Bogner

Bogner Member

BKP Black Dogs or Mules
    Suhr Thornbuckers

2. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

My buddy replaced his ‘57 Classics in his ‘88 Les Paul STD. with Jim Rolph ‘59s....they really brought his guitar to life.. they sound fantastic..clean and articulate.
    I then put a set of Rolph ‘59s in my ‘92 Les Paul STD. and was equally satisfied.

3. seward

seward Member

I sold a 2017 SG Standard that had 57s, and bought a 2018 SG Standard that has 61s. I'd used 61s previously in a 2015 SG Special, and liked them. Like a lot of folks, I find the more common neck alternatives - 490s and 57s - to be mushy. The 61s are, if anything, bright - they're low output, I think, but they're A5. Almost like single coils. I'll take bright over mushy - I can eq the treble out, and get the definition I want.

HoboMan likes this.
  4. coldengray

coldengray Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan winds their 59s, Pearly Gates, Seth Lover, and Antiquity Humbuckers on their original Leesona 102 machine. Pretty much any of those will do!

Mincer likes this.
  5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Pots and caps first.

Florance Voodoo 59s in mine (RIP Peter Florance)

6. Flugel

Flugel Member

I like 57s :)

InkStained likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Your fastest way to the well:
    -Wire a 0.047uF cap in series with the neck pickup hot lead, easiest access is probably at the switch
    -Wire a 0.047uF cap in series with the bridge pickup hot lead, easiest at the switch
    -Lower the neck pickup to the trim ring and raise the screw poles 1/8th inch, Strat stagger pattern or flat to each other. Raise the pickup until you get your tone sweet spot.
    -Lower the bridge pickup to the trim ring and raise the screw poles 1/8th inch, flat to each other, no stagger.
    -Plugged in adjust by tipping E vs e side of the neck pickup by ear until the sound is balanced.
    -Raise the bridge pickup until switching between neck and bridge is balanced/volume matched.
    -Tweak the bridge pickup E vs e tone slightly, but this is more sensitive than the neck.

If not fixed then forget all the fancy pants pickups. Go on ebay and find the $15/set red/black zebra pickups to look at the pictures of how the backs are constructed/wires used/etc, then search for black/black, chrome, black/cream pickups like you want that match these for construction -- they don't do any branding so you have to look, sellers change all the time so you have to look. Check listed kohms for lower kohms like you want. Remove the series caps previously installed and follow the rest of the adjustment steps with putting what you find here in the guitar.

I have found these pickups to have 'boutique'-levels of low internal capacitance, levels comparable to hand-scatter-wound. The typical pickups listed in many advice threads are all machine wound with high internal capacitance going toward muddiness. Usually a series cap can fix it but a cheap pickup swap out is these import models. I suspect they are hand wound pickups not marketed as such.

8. 6789

6789 Member

I replaced my 57 classics with 36th anniversaries. I’m digging them much more. My pickup search ended with the 36ths. No need to look further. These have Toan 4 Daze