What quad would you pick? jcm800 cab or bogner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Michael6120, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Michael6120

Michael6120 Member

Hi guys, I have an empty Bogner 4x12 cab from the early bogner days.. the last owner purchased it used in 1997. Anyway I wanted to put some G12-65's in it... and I found some eventually.. I purchased a JCM800 cab from the mid 80's. But now I'm not so sure if I should swap speakers or just use the marshall quad now... What do you think would be the better sounding quad with these speakers? a mid 90's bogner or a mid 80's marshall 1960a? I'm going for a loud hard rock sound. "Better" isnt the word... they'd both be great cabs.. But I guess I mean .. what would you recommend? Thanks

2. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Those early 80's JCM800 cabs are frickin' stellar.
    I just sold my Uberkab cos it was too harsh and sterile sounding with my '78 JMP MKII.
    I found my 800 cab with the original '75's and it's amazing.
    Those old speakers sound NOTHING like the newer 75 reissues I'd tried. Warm fat and balanced.

I think both have Baltic Birch construction, finger joints, etc...
    I'd say it would be 6 one way, half dozen the other...

3. Michael6120

Michael6120 Member

Cool thanks for your thoughts and experiences :)

I'll just use the marshall cab with the JMP.. everyone says its a perfect match.

I reckon I'll just put the old original V30's back into the bogner.. I've got them somewhere. I see you are an aussie? cool same.. you'd get this.. the bogner is chris cheneys old box he recorded the first few living end albums with and its ended up with me. The wife wants to get some glass cut out so she can use the bogner as a coffee table! haha.. on its back with glass ontop across the grill..

It'll most likely go that way as I'm not using the bogner but dont want to get rid of it... even if it had speakers, no casters is a bugger for gigs.

4. cardinal

cardinal Member

It's easy enough to try it if you have them both already. Bogner cabs typically have that batting/damping material in them, which the JCM cab won't have. I use an early '80s JCM cab with the stock G12-65 speakers and love it. I've only played Bogner cabs with V30s but they sound nice too.

5. Michael6120

Michael6120 Member

Cool, What is the purpose of the damping material in the back of the bogner cabs? Does it 'actually' make a difference? And what exactly is that difference? :) thanks!

6. cardinal

cardinal Member

In theory, I think it makes the cab look larger in whatever dimension you place the batting. Bogner has the batting placed against the black panel, so it makes the cab think it's deeper.

I've played with it in other cabs, and in practice it makes the cab darker and adds "thump." But you have to get the amount/thickness just right. Add too much, and the cab sounds completely dead and woofy.

7. dehughes

dehughes Member

I have a very early '80s JCM800 cabinet. The speakers were a mix of new G12T-75s and G12H-100s, so I replaced them with a quad of new G1265 speakers. That is a fantastic sounding, but more importantly, FEELING, cabinet. In comparison to my 1960BX cabinet, the JCM800 is drier and a bit looser....the 1960BX (circa 1997) is tighter and stiffer, but good nonetheless.

As for a Bogner cab comparison...sorry...never had one, but I've heard they are great.

8. Flash6969

Flash6969 Member

The damping makes all the difference & is the reason you should use the Bogner over the Marshall!
    What does it do - it protects the sound s bit more & adds more bottom end = stellar cabinet!

9. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

And what about Marshall cabs that have damping in them? :huh

10. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Hey Michael,

Hit me up if you're looking at selling the bogner cab. I'm searching for a cab to match up my XTC 101B. Funny, cause I was smsing candletears7 yesterday about cabs! Got a ripper of a cab to trade too if you're interested

11. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Stock 800 cab for sure. Tried and true, they haven't gone away for a reason.