• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What quality are Dumont tubes?

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
I run across them from time to time. Does anyone know if they imported or were mfg'd by RCA or what? Please tell me the story. I know the guy was an inventor in the TV tube era.

Swarty

FWIW, my grandparents had a Dumont TV. I recalll having some Dumont 6V6s that were Sylvanias. Unlikely they were imported unless they had a reason to stock an EL34.

Trout

I have several Dumont EL84's that are early Blackburn Mullards, Dumont was fairly well known for re-labeled tubes in their early audio equipment.

BigPapiFan

Gold Supporting Member
I have several Dumont EL84's that are early Blackburn Mullards, Dumont was fairly well known for re-labeled tubes in their early audio equipment.
+1

In my experience they are often pretty nice tubes, usually purchased from top manufacturers. I have DuMont tubes that were re-labeled GE, Tung-Sol, Sylvania, and RCA. Sometimes DuMont simply stenciled their brand on the tubes leaving the manufacturers identifying marks clearly visible, sometimes they even painted on the original manufacturer's codes.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
I think when I tested a 7025, it glowed when I tested it like Mullards do. You know that mini flash.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Pictures,detailed. If they flashed they might be Philips family(Mullard,Heerlen Amperex,etc) -look for etch codes. Bob

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
... and I've got DuMont-labeled 12BZ7 that are quite nice. They were a re-brander, so if you want to i.d. a tube, you'll have to look at the insides (and etched codes, if available). Could be anything.

- Thom

donnyjaguar

DuMont made test equipment too. I would guess tubes used in that equipment are better than consumer-grade stuff and a good catch.

BigPapiFan

Gold Supporting Member
Pictures,detailed. If they flashed they might be Philips family(Mullard,Heerlen Amperex,etc) -look for etch codes. Bob
+1

But that is a pretty big family. I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember reading that Mullard et al set up manufacturing or sold equipment and components to Japanese and Indian firms. There are some Mullard clones from the orient - BEL (India) and Matsushita (Japan) but these won't have codes. I too have such a DuMont "flasher" with no other obvious markings; I figured it was Asian.
Of course, the $64 question is how does it sound!

rockon1

... and I've got DuMont-labeled 12BZ7 that are quite nice. They were a re-brander, so if you want to i.d. a tube, you'll have to look at the insides (and etched codes, if available). Could be anything.

- Thom
Got a bunch of Dumont labeled 12AX7's. Cant remember what and I aint looking thru my "stash" if you want to call it that! lol! Bob

Trending Topics