What rate do you do your songs onto an Ipod

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JamesT, Dec 23, 2009.

1. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

I just bought one today. The default is 120 and next is 192 and I think there is a custom setting. Needless to say I am not sure what I am doing, but I suppose you do know. Thanks! I do know the higher the number the better the quality, but can you hear a difference in 120 and 192 or 384? Thanks again James

2. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

It has a 64 GB storage if that matters.

I also bough a 4 GB shuffle for my wife. She likes Pop, Opera, and classical. Should I do opera or classical at a higher resolution? Thanks!!!

3. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i listen at 320, myself.
    fwiw.
    dt / spltrcl

4. Tibbonds

Tibbonds Member

There's a big difference between 128 and 320. Go for higher if you got the disc space.

5. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

6. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

160; above that I can't hear the difference.

7. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

So should the sampling rate be on auto or what? THANKS!!!

8. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

You want VBR (assigns more bitrate for sections that need it, less for those that don't), and you want to go as high as you need to in order to be happy with the sound. use a converter like Foobar or EAC with the latest LAME codec. then convert some tracks at different rates and listen on a high quality system. there will probably be a bitrate above which you can't tell the difference between that rate and higher rates (also between that rate and the cd, ideally). maybe not, maybe you will need 320. But make some conversions, listen on great stuff, and see what it sounds like.

Also, if you are trying to sqeeze a lot of stuff into a drive, you may need to compromise, depending on how much you're trying to fit. Once you start converting things, you'll get a feel for how large file sizes are going to be; then you can start doing math to see how much will fit on your devices and what compromises you want to make.

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I go with lossless.

10. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

no no I do not want to compromise. I want my Sonny Landreth CDs to sound the same on the Ipod. I don ot care about 15 thousand songs.

I play my CD player through a Fender Accoustisonic amp- 2 8 inch speakers and a horn and 80 watts. I checked out the speaker/docker thingies and well the highest rated Bose was a joke compared to my Fender Accoustisonic amp.

Thanks!!! I could have posted it in the pub, but I really wanted the quality of the recording section and welll I am sure some guys would get giggley that I just now get an Ipod.

On the bright side I did do recordings on a 30 IPS AMpex rexorder that was the size of my washing machine. SO I am kind of behind technology.

Thanks again!!!!

James

P.S. Altec Lancing Voice of Theater speakers are great- I just cannot take them to a camp grounds, nor can I take my Fender Accoustisonic Junior amp so thatis the problem.... trying to size down with the same sound. However, I promise I won't buy a POD thing. ;)

11. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

Thanks Again!!!!

12. jmoose

jmoose Member

Maybe a year & change ago I got my first MP3 & setup a little test where I took the same song at 256 & 320kbps... and listening on even half-way decent speakers I could readily hear a difference. Most apparent were things like stereo image & low level detail... cymbal decay & reverb tails.

Everything goes in at 320 & I haven't tossed any CD's away.

Then again I'm still waiting & hoping for 24/96 releases to become standard...

192kbps is about the bare minimum to not sound like things are underwater.

13. John Catto

John Catto Member

Always 320 if at all possible.

14. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

Ok I will redo the CDs I did yesterday. Is the other at auto ok or should it be 44. whatever. Sorry. I am not too awake yet...

15. JPF

JPF Member

I started off at 192, then re-ripped my music catalogue to 320. It sounded good on my iPod with earbuds, but not so good when connected to my home stereo.

I've now ripped my entire 2000+ cd collection to AIFF, and feed my iPod from it, as well as being cabled up to my stereo. With storage costs having dropped so much in cost over the last few years, this solution works perfectly for me. I keep my older 160GB iPod Classic loaded with the lion's share of my earlier 320kbps music files, just to have that broad a range of music at hand when travelling for longer periods of time. Everything else is lossless AIFF for me until a better lossless standard comes along.

16. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

Do you have any idea why it sounded worse at 320 on your stereo?

17. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

Hey James i have to recommend one more time that you get Foobar or EAC and use the latest LAME codec (all free), if you aren't using one of those already. Not all encoders and codecs are created equal.

18. jmoose

jmoose Member

Have you tried FLAC?

There's a lot of programs that'll encode & decode it but I found Media Monkey to be stupidly simple and it plays & converts EVERYTHING from wav & aiff to FLAC, mp3, mp4, iTunes... oggs... you name it. Plus its a hell of an organizer, much better then iTunes & light years beyond winamp & the stock WMP.

FLAC is a standard in the tape trading community... I had to encode a bunch of shows for one of my clients who wanted them up at archive.org and FLAC is what they want. The system automatically derives MP3's & other formats from that.

You could also run 24-bit FLACs...

19. JPF

JPF Member

Yes, you're absolutely right - FLAC is fantastic, and I do have plenty of live recording converted from the original FLAC file to AIFF. The problem is that I'm lazy - I use macs at home and in the office, and iTunes is the path of least resistance so far. I don't download music, but stream when I feel like hearing something different. It's compressed, but bearable to my ears. I know I shouldn't be able to discern the difference between 320kbps files and the source cd, but I can on a decent stereo moving air. The moment I emancipate myself from iTunes for file management, I'd definitely look for a FLAC/AIFF-to-stereo based system and cut out Apple. It's a pity they didn't allow for FLAC files to run on iTunes to begin with...