What replaced your Peavey Classic 30 or what did you replace with it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by creepyarticle, Jan 29, 2015.

1. creepyarticle

creepyarticle Member

And why? I know it's on the cheap side but i love mine!

2. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

Sold it to buy a Victoria 5112. Why? Because it sucked. Plus, I was almost giving it away and no body wanted to buy it.

3. creepyarticle

creepyarticle Member

well you must be proud of yourself good for you! :)

4. Brutus

Brutus Member

Still have my Peavey. It survived Sandy and more than a year in unheated storage so who am I to dispose of it?

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

I had one for less than a week - it died on me after one gig and a rehearsal, so I returned it, at a loss and moved on.

My one and only Peavey amp, not sure what I was thinking.

6. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

Every other amp I've owned.

The 'Classic 30' is this weird amp you tell everyone else to own. But no longer do, yourself.

7. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

If you couldn't make a Classic 30 sound decent, then you might want to blame yourself, not the amp. Sorry but it's true. The resale isn't great though for sure.

I had a Classic 30 about 9 years ago as my first tube amp and sold it because I was new to gear and thought that the boutique world of amps just had to be better. After owning probably 25 amps ranging from Dr. Z, Mesa, Reinhardt all the way to vintage Marshalls and Fenders, the only amp I have now is a Classic 30 that I grabbed on Ebay a few months ago.

And I love it - I dropped a G12H30 in and it really sounds great. Works well with every pedal I've used, is plenty loud to retain headroom and play even medium sized gigs, unmiced if needed.

If you really feel the need to experiment, go for it - I don't regret it though I could've saved $1000's of dollars. But if you C30 works for you I'd really just keep on truckin

8. thebowl

thebowl Member

I have had one for years. I have added to my stable, and tweaked the C30, but I don't see myself selling it.

They are very nice amps. For the money, they are great amps. For the money, used, they are simply a steal.

9. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I got one when they first came out and it served me very well for 15+ years. This place is pretty much the reason I sold it.......LOL......I actually traded it for 2 guitars to an acquaintance, then sold both guitars to fund a Fuchs Lucky 7. I've had more amps since than I care to talk about since then, both boutique and regular production stuff, and the Peavey could easily stand up to almost all of them. I have nothing but good things to say about the Classic 30 and can't say that I would never own one again.

10. mmkco

mmkco Member

I owned one for many years. I liked it but didn't "Love it" Tried new tubes, new speakers and many different pedals. I couldn't ever get the exact Dirty tone I was looking for. It had everything you could need and the loop was handy. I did like the clean sounds, I just could never get the dirt exactly like I heard in my head. I replaced it with a Bugera 333XL combo that I made into a head / 212 cab with Vintage 30's. I know I know Bugera!!! But I got it for 65 bucks(for a 120 watt tube combo and empty head shell) It had the issues repaired by an excellent tech. This is a High Gain Monster by comparison to the Peavey Classic 30 but you can use the low gain input and a Tube Screamer and the dirt is exactly what I was looking for. I like a Warren Haynes kind of dirty singing lead tone. This nails it where my Classic 30 just wouldn't quite reach(for me anyway). I don't gig and would prolly never trust the Bugera where I would have trusted the Classic 30 all day.

11. pvampmgr

pvampmgr Member

I use mine all the time, as you would expect, but if you own a Classic 30, try using the clean channel, but turn it up to around 7 or so, maybe even 8. It really opens the whole thing up. I use it live on channel one with my pedal setup. I have the head version with the big 212 that started out as the Wiggy cab. Sounds great! I've used it for sessions against the will of engineers, and usually they flip flop on it during the session. It's really about opening up that power section.

12. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

I have to agree with this. The clean side of this amp is amazing, I love it. GEt it up to around noon and hit it with some P90s, you have classic Marshall/Hiwatt snarl and aggression, back off the volume and you get nice warm cleans with just enough sparkle to filter through without being ice-pciky. Well, after I put the G12H30 in it, the Blue Marvel was shrill as all hell to my ear.

But it just doesn't do heavy distortion. The Dirty channel is good for mid gain OD (AC/DC ish 70s crunch) but it won't do modern Marshall/Mesa sounds in its native state. Thats fine, I slap a couple pedals in front, crank it up, and pocket the difference.

Who am I kidding, I spent it on bass amps :)

13. Tall Dark N Dirty

Tall Dark N Dirty Member

Loved mine should have never gave it to my x son in law. I rolled some tubes and put a Greenback in mine. tI was versatile, small and great. At the time I got a Maz 18 and a BadCat Cub, niether of which I have now. One day I would get another C-30

14. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

I've had quite a few of them... I don't think re-sale is horrible on them, they don't cost that much new. Everyone of them I've put on the block sold quick. I've done the get rid of them for something better and always keep getting another. My current one was bought to play with some modding. $19 in electronic parts and a used WGS Reaper HP I have a pretty happening amp.. It sounded good with just the speaker, with the electronic mods it even better. My buddy who has mainly high amps played it the other day gave me the "whoa!!!" "that surprised me" reaction. So I guess the long and short of it is I've come around full circle. I'm kind of working my way out of gear as I've stopped gigging and have even been downgrading on gear. I have a Tubemeister 36 and a Marshall DSL 40C... the only one that may survive the last purges may be the PV.

15. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Mine was replaced with a Bugera V22. The Bugera sounds much better and the build quality is better, believe it or not. The C30 was a rattle trap. The cabinet and every part in it buzzed and rattled like crazy when I cranked the amp.

16. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Sold mine when I got the Heritage Colonial.

17. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

They rattle like crazy without the tube guard. I paid $30 for the tube guard that has come on the C30s since the mid-2000s direct from Peavey and I can ring out an open E chord on mine, fully dimed with a gnarly fuzz going into it with zero rattles at all.

18. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Member

I've had one since new, 1993 or so. I can't tell you how many hours, and how many gigs it's been too, but it's been played in 3 states, been hauled in my car who knows how many times and it has never had an issue. I'm actually only on my 3rd set of tubes. I installed a tube tamer and cage about ten years ago, just to have some extra insurance. To say that this amp has been reliable is not giving it enough credit. I also have a Classic 50 212 that was dropped down a flight of basement stairs when the handle broke. It was my own fault, I knew the handle was on it's last legs, and it got banged up a bit but the tubes never even came loose and it fired right up then, and to this day. It's the same old story with these amps, people buy one on based on what they read and then talk **** because they expected it to be something that it is not. Some, rather than moving on, get the idea to mess around with them and then start complaining about how fragile the boards and traces are or whatever but I can say from my experience that these amps in general are extremely reliable. The Fender Hot-Rod series falls into the same category.

19. rummy

rummy Member

The C30 I sold has not been replaced.

20. randombastage

randombastage Member

Deluxe Reverb replaced it and I don't really miss either of them.