What separates a great guitarist from a good guitarist?

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
Seems like everyone and there mother is a guitarist these days, and a lot of them play casually. I am afraid that I am becoming a casual guitarist and I don't like it. i want to step up my game. What separates the casual guitarist froma great guitarist?

harmonicator

I would say rhythm.

And I don't just mean playing good rhythm guitar.

Every single note, chord, fill, bend, whatever...has to be in the pocket.

No music styles are exempt.

great players always play with the beat, and their time is so strong that they can even manipulate it at will.

shg

I would say rhythm.

And I don't just mean playing good rhythm guitar.

Every single note, chord, fill, bend, whatever...has to be in the pocket.

No music styles are exempt.

great players always play with the beat, and their time is so strong that they can even manipulate it at will.
great post.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Knowing how to play more than blues boxes, you know those melody things everyone used to do?

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
A little attitude and aggression never hurt anyone either. Real players play with some fire!

Rockin J

The abillity to come up with original riffs and licks for songs that people want to pay you money for seems to be the top thing in becoming a great guitarist. I'm not even a good guitarist :(

LavaMan

Knowledge and mastery of the fret board - for me great guitarists are not necessarily technical flash players - they just do do not play bad notes....there's a certain confidence about their playing...they are like some of these nice, boutique single Class A tube amps with a few knobs - they sound good wherever the knobs are set...

Then, they will tell you why they are playing in theory....that's what make's em' great IMO....

SyKrash

Good time
Whether playing fast or slow, loud or soft it is always musical

Also leaving their ego at the door. No musical insecurities that cause them to be unmusical.

speedyone

Silver Supporting Member
Great vibrato.

All my faves (and I would venture to say most peoples' faves,) have it.

For example:

David Gilmour
Jimi Hendrix
SRV
Yngwie
Ty Tabor

just to name a few great ones....

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
Being a musician first, then using your guitar technique as a means to express your musicianship.

Two examples above that play into this: strong rhythm and good sense of melody. Melody is an exception litmus test for guitarist, whom often play out of a fingering pattern (a solo by numbers of sorts).
This!

evets618

Your playing has to "tell a story".
The best solos have a beginning, middle, and end. Even EVH's shredding exhibits a strong "call and response" structure. Well, some of the time. ;)

Trending Topics