What shoud I do

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bmetelits, Feb 21, 2009.

1. bmetelits

bmetelits Member

I put together a project guitar from USAGC parts. The body is hollow swamp ash with a maple top. The neck is mahogany with a pau ferro fretboard. I have a pair of Dimarzio humbuckers (air classic and 36th PAF). The guitar sustains very well and has piano-like low notes, but there is too much twang in this guitar for me. The guitar is sensitive to the hardness of my pick attack. When I dig in there is a snap to the tone that I do not want.

What I want is a guitar that lends itself to Larry Carlton, Carlos Santana (in his Abraxas days), Pat Metheny, George Benson, and Jeff Golub. Let's call it smooth jazz, blues and soul. The sound should be woody and organic, not digital. I want the guitar to weigh less than 7 pounds, and it must not cost too much. What guitar would this be or should I replace my guitar's neck with a 24.75 scale mahogany neck with an Indian rosewood fretboard?

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

As far as body woods.....not swamp ash and maple. When I think "snap, I think ash/maple. But I wouldn't say ash/maple sounds digital.

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

For more warmth try a Mahogany body. Ash is a bright tonewood.

dk

4. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Pau ferro fingerboard = Snap and sharper attack

Swamp Ash = Pop

Swamp Ash + Maple top = (Pop) to the nth degree

Get another body/neck combo and specify smooth attack with little snap and twang.

Alder or mahogany both has more low mid growl with less upper mid snap.