What should every gigging player take to a gig?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by bluesman, Dec 24, 2009.

1. bluesman

bluesman Member

I don't mean the obvious stuff like your guitar, amp, cables, and pics. I mean what do you take in case things go wrong? Extra strings? (of course) Extra amp? (if only) Power cords? What do you have in case things go wrong?

2. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

extra amp fuse, one small extra combo amp, 2 guitars.

3. Radspin

Radspin Member

--Extra strings are an absolute must.

--I like to take an extra overdrive pedal, and one of the band members always brings an extra amp. (Never needed to use it, but I'd hate to have an amp break and have no backup.)

--Don't forget to bring a set list! If you forget it, you'll waste a lot of time on the gig trying to reconstruct it, and you might forget some of your best songs.

--It's good to have an extra guitar if possible. I've only had a guitar break once on a gig in 41 years of playing (the volume control froze in the off position), but it sure was nice to not be stopped cold for the night that it happened.

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Backup for every aspect of your gigging configuration

5. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I take two of almost everything. I have a Tonelab LE as a backup to my amp and effects, but haven't had to use it yet.

7. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

COILY CABLE!

[​IMG]

Tell tripping over cables to kiss your ass.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  8. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

Bring your "A game"

9. mondaythursday

mondaythursday Senior Member

I always bring a second guitar, partly because I like having a spare and partly so I can have fun playing two guitars during the course of the night. One guitar I almost always bring is a late 50s/early 60s Danelectro-made Silvertone U-1 of which I have three. I rotate through them. And the other guitar is either a Les Paul Deluxe or a hollowbody like an ES-175, ES-330, or Guild X-175. If I break a string on any of those guitars the Silvertone will stand in nicely. Though sometimes I end up playing the Silvertone all night. And it really doesn't matter what kind of music it is. The Silvertone will do it.

I always take two amplifiers, one I will probably use all night and one as a spare. The spare is usually a TruBlues tweed Deluxe copy or a Trace Elliot Velocette since they are both very light and portable and don't take up much room in the car.

And spare strings, a couple cables, and a tuner. I rarely use external effects units.

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Nail clippers
    New 9v batteries

11. SyKrash

SyKrash Member

Basically, I bring a backup for everything that could fail on a gig. That includes the obvious (strings guitar amp), and the not so obvious (power strips, metronome, in ears, etc.)

12. gstan

gstan Member

strings, tubes(pre-amp, power, rectifier), meter, at least 2 guitars, backup amp and pedal board when not using 2 amp rig, surge protector/power conditioner, circuit tester(never know when you might run into bad wiring), extension cords, handtruck, carpet roll, tool kit, Glock 22.

Big A-Men to the Imodium there jimfog, yep, keep it in my gig bag at all times, and a bottle of pepto. The further you go from home the more likely you are to encounter bugs that your system can't handle.

13. bluesman

bluesman Member

Carpet roll, huh? What for?

14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i play original music in NYC. we're lucky if we get an hour. so anything more than this is ridiculous:

2 guitars
    1 amp
    capo
    pre-wired pedalboard
    DI box (just in case)
    extra long run cable
    extra pedal cable
    extra strings, cutters, winder
    flashlight
    extension cord

15. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

can't believe nobody has mentioned duct tape yet... don't leave home without it.

in addition to the obvious... i always have a roll of duct tape, flathead and phillips screwdrivers, needlenose pliers and nail clippers. i haven't had many problems i can't fix with that...

i always have a power strip with a 15 foot run... just in case. it's saved me multiple times.

i'd feel naked with less than 2 guitars for a band gig... but i never bring a backup acoustic for a solo or duo gig.

i'm also lucky... i regularly play at 6 bars within a few block radius of my apartment... i tend to travel lighter to those because i usually walk... and i can be home in seconds in case of a disaster.

16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Imagine anything and everything breaking.

If you think "Oh ****, I can't get by without this", bring a spare.

17. Brian Maestro

Brian Maestro Member

Most important is a tuner if you want to continue gigging.

18. jeffnmoe

jeffnmoe Supporting Member

I always have Superglue for last minute fretting hand fingertip cuts.

19. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

Backup everything, knife and a pistol. I play metal shows, ya never know. Only used the gun twice.....

20. mprvise

mprvise Member

Yep, back up for pretty much everything. Comes in handy to help out others too. Last week I played a gig with a bass player who just had his amp and cable bag stolen earlier that evening and I was able to loan him a guitar and speaker cable.