• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What should I do with this Bell & Howell Filmosound amp?

carltonh

Got this at a garage sale. It still has original Bell & Howell branded 6L6Gs in it. I'm tempted to plug it in, despite reservations I may be electrocuted.

What is it worth? What should I do with it? (Don't say give it away.) Anyway to date it without taking it apart? I'd guess 1960-1965. I've forgotten how to date the speakers by the codes.

I know these expect more signal than a passive electric guitar, so a pedal or preamp could theoretically make it a nice amp.

Seeing if links to Google+ pictures works:

Flogger59

The first day the "medecine" worked (in the mid 70's) a buddy was cranking through a slightly older version of this with his electric. It sounded awesome, then sparks and blue light erupted from the back. That was awesome, too.

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
Cool man

:dude

The first day the "medecine" worked (in the mid 70's) a buddy was cranking through a slightly older version of this with his electric. It sounded awesome, then sparks and blue light erupted from the back. That was awesome, too.

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
It is but I think they just use the chassis and gut the rest. I tried to turn one into a guitar amp. If you know what you're doing it might work fairly well. I just didn't know what I was doing so I ended up with a broken amp for a film projector, not a high demand for those.

Isn't this the basis for those At Mars amps? Those things sound killer!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom