What should I do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tmwdh222, Jan 3, 2008.

1. tmwdh222

tmwdh222 Member

So im in a band that is grindcore/hard rock/ progressive/ and slight blues on occasion. In fact here is my band site with our music to hear our sound so you can help my dilema www.myspace.com/tmwdh
    Anyways, I was looking for what I thought I needed which was a heavy playing type amp because I thought our band was going to go in that direction. So I bought the Peavey 6505+ with the 6505 cab. Well we ended up touching upon many genres and not really playing too much metal or hardcore at all. After about 3 months of playing I started to question whether my amp was really fiting in with our style of music. (BTW I play a ESP Viper 400 w/ emg's throught this amp so i have a decent metal setup which doesnt help my dilema.) (I am buying a new guitar soon w/o EMG's btw.) I want a lighter not such a strong metal tone and equiptment cause we don't play much of it. What I need help with is knowing what the heck I should do? I do not know much about this stuff as you can see from my guitar and amp purchases so I really neeed all of your input! Do I mod the amp w/ different tubes? (ive heard Svetlana tubes) Get a diff cab? Sell it and buy a different amp? (marshall? mesa dual rec? orange? i have no idea) Please give me some insight cause I am stressing about it because we are a serious band and I need the right equiptment to complete our sound. Thank you everyone!!!

2. GDking

GDking Member

Sounds good to me. Band is tight etc, I would ditch the singer and keep what you are using.

Soon as yall start singing the background vocals on the breaks without the rammstein guy it sounds 100x better to me. With a more dynamic lead singer I think it would sound a lot better. Your guitar tone and playing seem fine to me.

No offense meant just my 2 cents.

3. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Before you buy that emg guitar, consider something with more trad sounding pick-ups.
    Or look at swapping a few lower gain 5751's for 12AX7's in your amp.

If your used to playing a tight fisted gain amp and your looking for more give or just something different check these voodoo amp mods. http://www.voodooamps.com/ampswemod.html#PEAVEY

I agree with above, I think the amp suits the playing style on your site.

4. tmwdh222

tmwdh222 Member

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. BTW i meant I will not be buying a guitar w/ EMG"s. I was thinking PRS or maybe Gibson. Im just trying to make sure that my amp sounds right for my type of music. I don't want to be too metal. Im thinking then I should just change the tubes and maybe a better cab (any suggestions on that?) Also when I get a new guitar w/o EMG's it should give a less metal tone right? Thanks again!

5. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Sorry, I missed that in the original post :Spank

You know how the old story goes, it's how you play rather than what gear your playing.

The 6505/5150's are flexible amps.

I played a 5150II for three years in a country band. -no joke!

Try an overdrive pedal into the clean channel for some variation in gain, I found it to be a great pedal platform.

As for the cab, I think it would be cool to remove two of the 4 speakers for the whole detuned cab approach. Might add a little airiness to your sound.

6. tmwdh222

tmwdh222 Member

That is a pretty interesting idea there mcgriff and that is awesome that you played country with that amp!

So I guess the 6505+ is fairly versatile and I will tweek it w/ some new tubes. Then my new guitar will change the tone as well. As for the cab im not sure. Still ANY input is very welcome! THANKS!!!

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think the 6505 cab is voiced to be hard rock. With some EQ (bring up the mids, drop the highs a bit) it can probably do blues, but adding some slightly warmer speakers might help in that regard?

As for a guitar, traditional alnico magnet pickups give more natural compression and better dynamics to my ears than the higher tech EMGs. For maximum flexibility a PRS might be alright, they do great in the high gain world, sound a bit harsh to my ears in the bluesy/roots rock vein. A Gibson with fairly high output pickups might work better in that context: 76 Reissue Explorer or V, Les Paul etc. The Fender guitars will be harder to work into the hard-core context because of the higher gain content of single coil pickups, but John5? seems to do pretty well with Teles (not the easiest guitar to play, but probably the one that can cover the most ground, stylistically, right out of the box).

I second the vote for setting up your amp with the clean channel REALLY clean, then getting pedals for your blues and crunch sounds, and keeping channel two for high gain leads and general chugging...

8. tmwdh222

tmwdh222 Member

Sounds good! Thanks for the replies everyone. I want to change the tubes becasue my 6505+ has stock Ruby tubes and I heard to go with Svetlana tubes. What do you think? Thanks.