• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What Should I Get Done - '73 Traynor YGL-3 Mark 3

JCMNelson

Hi everyone,

I just picked up an old Traynor (pretty rare and unknown in the UK) that looks like it's never even had new tubes put in it! It fires up just fine, and has hardly any background noise, although I haven't cranked it yet. I'm pretty pleased with the tone too (can't wait to hear what new valves will turn it into!).

I've replaced all the valves apart from the 4 EL84's which I still need to order. I was pretty set on replacing all the electrolytic caps (starting with the filter caps), but read somewhere that if they're operating ok I needn't bother.

So, what would you do to this amp if it were yours, to keep it as original as possible (for now) and safe and reliable too? At this stage it's not going to be worked hard, it'll probably be played at 25% for less than 10hrs a month...

Pics here for those interested.

Thanks for your help!

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
If it were mine, I would replace all the electrolytics. 36 years is a long time and while you may get some more use from them, the chance of a power supply cap going is just not worth it. Transformers are most important when it comes to originality. You also have no idea how often the amp was used or not used. A good 36 year old cap today may be a shorted 36 year old cap next week.

JDW3

I was excited til I saw the pics! I had a feeling you meant el-34, which it what you have in that amp. 4 el-84 would be a lot of fun.

I'd just recap it and play it. You'll probably never be able to crank it! Tons of volume there.

donnyjaguar

I just wrote a shitload of text that was lost because my login timed out. I'll write more later. Suffice to say, Slider's advice is sound!

ROKY

I was excited til I saw the pics! I had a feeling you meant el-34, which it what you have in that amp. 4 el-84 would be a lot of fun.

I'd just recap it and play it. You'll probably never be able to crank it! Tons of volume there.
Do they still make the THD Yellowjacket EL-84 converters ? :dunno

To the OP :

It looks like a few electrolytics were replaced on the
circuitboard - the preamp electrolytics [for each channel] look to be
the originals(the 2 larger blue ones..)

I would strongly recommend having the 2 large Mallory electrolytics
changed as soon as you can - it doesn't matter how little you'll be
using the amp .
As someone pointed out, they can go at anytime.

Also, you'll like that amp even more with a speaker change.

I have a '73 Head, and a '74 combo(and other Traynors...) and
there's some good tone in there if you get rid of the stock Marsland
speakers, in favor of Celestions, Fanes, Goodmans ,,, you should be
able to find some nice speakers on that side of the pond to replace
the stock speakers.

Swarty

Traynors of that era came stock with Philips UK tubes (Mullard), they may be better than any new tubes you could buy. Check the bias and change the electrolytics first and see if you like it. BTW, the build quality of those amps is typically better just about anything in that era aside from maybe Sunn and Hiwatt.

JCMNelson

Sorry to revive the thread, but I figured it was better than starting a new one?

I've now replaced all the electrolytics, changing one at a time and then testing the amp to make sure I haven't done something stupid! The amp definately sounds better now , like it's more 'solid' and 'there' if that makes any sense? :huh

Next step is to change the power tubes and to set the bias. I've noticed that it has a trimpot which I assume is there for setting the bias. If that's the case, should I set it according to calculations etc, or just use my ears to set it where I like it? (I assume it's a bit of both really...)

Thanks for the advice!!

phsyconoodler

IF THE AMP SOUNDS GOOD,DON'T CHANGE THOSE TUBES!
Like was said before they are likely mullards and will sound better than anything you may put in it.That is unless they are shot.
But....if you want to preserve those tubes,by all means change them out.
New production tubes cannot take hot bias for long,so tread carefully with bias adjustments.If you have a current meter that would be a great way to bias,or simply install 1 ohm 1% resistors from the cathodes of the power tubes to ground,in place of the existing ground wires.Then you simply measure the mv readings across those resistors.It converts directly into ma. mv=millivolts. ma=milliamps.

Phil Divine

In all seriousness, if you don't want the tubes, I'll take them. I too have an old Mark3, and I could use some backups for my original tubes.
Mark 3 is a great amp. One of the best in my opinion. I have had mine modded a bit, and I'll put it up against any 100 watt amp there is. Glad to see you found one over there.

Those are a twin killer! That amp will melt your face with clean volume. There is a method to get overdrive from the amp but I forget now I think you have to jumper something. Anyways nice score! We only build the best in Canada!

JCMNelson

Yeah, I can't wait to get it all sorted (new valves & speakers) and to really start playing. I've just re-formed a band that we had going a while back and this amp's gonna be perfect!!

Back to my question though...

I am definately gonna change the tubes as I feel it needs it (old ones will hang around as back up). It's got a trimpot, do I need to do some maths, or do I just need to listen and set it where it sounds good?? I'll be going for a rich, thick clean sound on it, if that makes any difference...

Yeah, I can't wait to get it all sorted (new valves & speakers) and to really start playing. I've just re-formed a band that we had going a while back and this amp's gonna be perfect!!

Back to my question though...

I am definately gonna change the tubes as I feel it needs it (old ones will hang around as back up). It's got a trimpot, do I need to do some maths, or do I just need to listen and set it where it sounds good?? I'll be going for a rich, thick clean sound on it, if that makes any difference...
I use a combination of both I always start at 50% play a little Bring the bias up to about 65% and if there is no audible difference I bring it back down to about 55-60% . There is no reason to run the tubes hard if there is no benefit tonally. But hey thats just me.:dude

Trending Topics