What should I get? Mid 70's Silverface Twin/Custom Vibroverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by regotheamigo, Feb 25, 2009.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I was basically all set to buy one of those Custom handwired Vibroverb that's modded by by Stevie Ray's tech, but the guy at the music store said he had a mid 70's Silver Face Twin that may be more suited for what I'm going for, which is clean tones in the style of E.J, David Gilmour, and the Edge. I also would run distorion/fuzzes through it for dirty rhtyhm stuff, and was told that it takes those type of pedals well. On the other hand the Vibroverb is new, and does basically the same as the Twin. I guess the only thing is it would break up a bit quicker. Here's the thing, the Silver Face cost 800 bucks, and the Vibroberb cost about 2700 out the door. I'd be saving around 1900 dollars going with the Twin, and I could also buy a lot of cool pedals that I want with the amp like delay units, different fuzzes, chorus etc,,, Is the Vibroberb REALLY that much better? I guess the only thing that could be a issue with the old Twin is it breaking down. What to do???

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

vibroverb.unless you think you really need 100 watts...

3. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Well I doubt I'll really need 100 watts, but it would be nice to have if I did need it. I plan on getting all my overdrive thru pedals, so it's not like I'm going to have to turn it all the way up. But REALLY is the Vibroverb Custom going to sound 1900 better than the Twin? My thoughts are no way! Thanks for the heads up though .)

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Two things:First pick up the twin-they are really heavy.Second I think it would sound better(I don't know about dollar amount?),two 6L6's being my favoriite tube set,and Cesar having worked on my amp,when he was alive...

5. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

bare in mind, most fuzzes and OD pedals only sound good when the amps tone is natural breaking up by the tubes, clean tone into a fuzz pedal doesn't usually translate into a good tone. A twin is gonna stay clean unless cranked, but then it's too loud. I agree the $$$ difference is huge between the two and $800 sounds like a killer deal for a 70's twin. But if you can afford the Vibroverb, I'd say go for it, I'm sure it will sound amazing - a keeper for sure.

6. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I hear you and was wondering that myself, but played some fuzzes and overdrives thru the Twin and it sounded great! Keep in mind though that I would be using the clean most of the time. Thanks

7. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

Vibroverb. I NEVER play my Twin because I'd go deaf cranking it to the recommended sweet spot levels (the magic settings are Vol - 6, T - 6, M - 3, B - 2. Seriously, A Twin at a 6???) At home or even small venue settings the thing was still too loud. Not to mention it weighs 85 lbs. I'm a young guy and in pretty good shape but that thing is a back breaker. Personally, I'd rather have a cranked amp that needs to be mike'd than a beast that has to be tamed.

8. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

You guys are killing me! LOL I'm really NOT wanting to spend the extra 1900, but it looks like your making me :)

9. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

Are those the only two choices? $800 or $2,700? Sounds like you have a lot of wiggle room to look at some other amps. $800 for a Silver Face twin isn't really a great deal. I see them for $500 in pretty good shape on Craigslist.

You can get the Twin and still get a really nice other amp as well, like a Silver face Vibrolux.

10. sliberty

sliberty Member

Personally, I just don't like Twins. I had a BF Twin back in the day, and it was nice for that grateful Dead sort of sound, but that was about it. The Vibroverb would have much more heart, and would be less of a bone crusher. But $2700 is lots of money. There are a lot of amps I would buy before the Vibroverb for that amount of cash.

11. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

The Custom Vibroverb comes in a cabinet basically (or exactly?) the same size as the twin, doesn't it? Have you picked up one and then picked up the other? I bet the weight difference isn't very much at all - i.e., both very heavy. Is the twin 85 watts or 135? (it would say on the back.) If it's 85, then it's a standard fender circuit and sound. The 135w is Ultralinear, and not as popular (though many people think it sounds great). the Vibroverb at 40 or 50 watts (depending on the setting) is going to be a loud amp too. Then you've got that 15 inch speaker in the vibroverb, which isn't everybody's cup of tea, vs 2 12s in the Twin which you can swap out constantly like the rest of us.

I would say since you like the sounds you're getting from the twin, and you're only going to use pedals for dirt, the Twin sounds like a better way to go. Size and weight are so similar that I think you would have to really like the sound of the Vibroverb over the Twin spend the extra 1900 bucks.

I also agree that the price is a little high for that twin, though not a lot, especially depending on whether it has been recently serviced and what condition it's in. If it's clean and been serviced that's a decent price.

One last thing I'd mention is there are a LOT of amps out there between 800 and 2700 dollars. I would definitely check some of them out, even drive to nearby towns to check out amps in other stores, before you drop 2700 on that Vibroverb. I've played one and I thought it was nice, but I would never spend 2700 on that amp, personally.

Oh and one more last thing about price, you can resell the twin again for close to what you paid, but you will take a hit reselling the Vibroverb since you bought it new.

Good Luck!

12. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Thanks for the great response! Yeah I have already made up my mind, and going with the Twin. I can always take it back, and get the Vibroverb if its not happening for me down the road. I do believe it's the 135 watter, but it sounded good to me so that's all that matters. I'm not really a clean tone kind of guy, and won't be using it to often, so think it will work out just fine. The thing also about searching around is I have. I live in Nashville which you would think there would a million music stores around town but there isn't. It's either find something locally, or order online, and I don't want to do that with an amp.

13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yeah, the 135-watter is the least-desired twin, i'd frankly rather play through a reissue '65 TR. i would hold out for a non-master volume silverface twin, or at least a 100 watt master volume version, which will still be less brittle-sounding than the 135-watt and will be capable of being modded to blackface specs. $800 seems high for that thing.

14. teletroy

teletroy Member

+1
    I see them on craigslist for 5-600 all the time. I'd pick one up, but Then I'd have to pick it up :) I want one but man they are heavy.

of course I just looked and for some reason they are all $800 today! But a few of them are reissues.

15. Desperado

Desperado Vertex Effects, Inc.

Go with the Vibroverb...the Twin wont take pedals that well for OD because it won't saturate until it's really cranked. I have a '66 Twin and can do a few OD's but doesn't take everything really well. I likes Tube Screamer type pedals, but not much else.

16. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

I've been throught alot of tube amps in the past 10 years and the 135 watt U/L twin is my one of my all time favorite amps.The U/L transformer is very hi fi,you get a VERY wide response from these tranny's...They are unpopular here though,alot of guys here like the one trick pony amps and thats not a bad thing they know what tone they want to hear out of a certain amp.Guys like me on the otherhand don't have the luxury of owning a dozen amps or so to achieve a particular tone.

The 135 watt twin is very versitile,it's the best platform for pedals out of any amp i've owned.I can do Gilmour,Sabbath,country,metal,polka,you name it.Seriously.......Trick is with these amps is have the right speakers.If they are stock check the codes.If you have Pyle,get rid of them(thin,and bright),If they are Rola's with the bigger magnet KEEP(warm and ballanced).....Also don't let people tell you you have to turn these up to ear bleed levels to find the sweet spot.That is utter nonsense,I also use mine as a recording amp in my house and get great low volume tones.

17. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Go with what works for you. But based on what you said, I'd check out an early, pre master volume, silverface Pro Reverb if you like 2 12s, or Vibrolux if you like 2 10s. They're both 40W 2 6L6 like the Vibroverb.

18. tremster

tremster Member

Having suffered a slipped disc due to hauling a heavy amp around town, I'd recommend the Vibroverb. It's just lighter. I just tried a good-sounding amp today and would have bought it, if it didn't weigh 70 pounds! If you are looking at hauling the amp around town, weight is a big factor to consider.

Also I heard somewhere (fender forum) that the Custom Vibroverb might be discontinued, so you may want to factor that in. It may be harder to find one further down the road.

All in all, I think the Vibroverb is a pretty cool package, if it weren't for the hefty price tag.

19. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

i think you made a good call...shoot $2700 can buy a real BF Twin in great shape...i can't bring myself to spend that on a new amp though.

btw i just saw a used custom vibroverb at GC (oklahoma city) for $1800 last week...i wonder if they ship used amps store to store like they can new ones???

20. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

If you're in Nashville, there used to be a cool guitar store on West End I think. Was it Rock Block? Or is that a different place? It was in an old house. Also I hear great things about a place there called Corner Music, but I've never been there. Just some ideas of more places to check out amps!