What should I get with $600

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Killcrop, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I'm looking to record at least 4 channels at once. I have a new computer so what is the best value for a recording system that is easy enough for a guitar player to use. I was considering the Mackie Spike but the reviews on MF look a bit questionable.

2. straticus

straticus Member

$600.00 buys you a PreSonus FirePod. I'm looking for a new interface too. I've been looking around and I think the FirePod is the one I'll be going for.

BC :)

3. baald

baald Member

a litle more money will get you a mackie onyx 400f (699 at sweetwater last i looked). that would be my choice. am hoping to get one this year.

4. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I got the Mackie Onyx 400F and it sounds great. It's more than $600, but it is worth it to me.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Dave, what computer and software will you be using?

6. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I was hoping the software would come with it. I'll be using XP.
    I'm new to all this.

7. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

The Mackie comes with Tracktion 2 which I find VERY easy to use and get around on. I've only used it a few times, but my brother has used it extensively and says that it continues to be an intuitive software package.

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

:AOK :dude

9. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

10. straticus

straticus Member

The PreSonus FirePod comes with Cubase. I'm not sure what version. I use Samplitude so that doesn't really make any difference for me. But the FirePod is everything you need to get started.

I looked at the Mackie Onyx too because I like their stuff. I'm sure it would work for you too as they make great equipment. The reason I'm leaning toward the FirePod is because I need the 8 XLR / mic pre inputs. The Mackie only has four. I'm used to going straight into the interface (I'm replacing an Aardvark Q10), no external mixer. So the more XLR's the better for me. The PreSonus FirePod seems to be the only decent interface out there right now that has 8 XLR inputs. With most other units 4 seems to be the magic number.

Good luck with whatever you choose.:AOK

11. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

Alesis MultiMix16 FireWire: 8 mic pres, a 16 channel mixer, FX, 20 channels of audio via FirWire, Cubase LE, etc. JDSound.com has the best price I've found.

12. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I was considering the Spike too until I read the threads on the Mackie site that were related to anyone trying to use it with MS Windows. Not a good choice unless your running it with a Mac. A lot of angry emails over there.
    I'm looking at E-mu stuff now. The 1212M in particular. It's PCI so the latency is supposed to be less. I'll check out that Onyx now too. Thanks for this thread!

13. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I use and like the emu 1212m pci card with wavelab, but note that it only does 2 analog channels in. I think the 1812m or higher end models have more channels.

14. Blueser

Blueser Member

This would not help him, as there are no preamps on the 44. If you want to add the preamps, the Omni Studio (based on the Delta 66 card) has preamps on board, but it is a discontinued product to knowledge.

I just swapped out my Omni Studio for the 400F. Dave let me know if you are interested, and I will sell you the Omni really cheap, as I was going to drop it on e-bay.

B

15. andyc

andyc Member

I have a Presonus Firepod. It comes with Cubase LE, although I eventually upgraded to Cubase SX3. The Firepod is fantastic. Great mic preamps, and the thing has been rock solid. I'm VERY happy with it.

:JAM

16. ck00g

ck00g Member

another vote for the firepod.