What should I get with my $250 store credit?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shark_bite, Feb 26, 2009.

1. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Hey y'all. I'm kind of a pedal noob, always have been and to a certain degree probably always will be. But, I find myself in the position of having a store credit at Willie's and nothing in particular to spend it on. Except maybe another guitar at some point, but I don't really know. If I were to buy a pedal to complement what I have right now playing mostly pop/lighter rock/mid 90s alternative/blues/funk/soul/r&b/gospel.... yeah that's a wide range I know, but being in five or six bands will force that.... anyway... if I were to buy a pedal, what do you think it should be? I want suggestions of some really fun stuff because frankly, I do not need a pedal. I do not really need anything. What's in my sig is kicking so much ass for me it's not even funny, and hopefully I'll have a Bad Cat on the way soon too. Or something Voxy.

So... fire away. What do you suggest?

2. dosmun

dosmun Member

A nice delay is something I really like to have. I have an Echohead as you have listed and it does decent job but my main Delay(s) are a pair of Chandler SDE's. A good delay can really fatten up your sound and bring in some cool new tricks and sounds.

Mojo Vibe or a Vibe. I recently got a Mojo and never I never thought I would be a vibe guy but it can do a lot of cool stuff without sounding like Hendrix or Trower. From subtle to crazy sounds it is another fun and very useful pedal.

Big Muff might be cool to add a different flavor to your rig.

Fuzz might be cool and fun as well.

Hotcake is another fave of mine anything from a boost to heavy OD is in this little box.

TIM another great OD for adding some grit to your sound or another great boost.

The old standby Tube Screamer is popular with Fender amps. Everybody needs to at least try one if you haven't already.

3. joesl8

joesl8 Member

I can't live without my OD and delay but I'd say a wah if you like funk and a Muff for some 90's Alt? OD, Delay, Muff, wah...sounds good to me!

4. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Willie's has Menatone, right?
    Pick up a Red Snapper or Blue Collar?

5. guitarguy9597

guitarguy9597 Member

6. elkym

elkym Member

Try a Vox Wah, +1 on a delay, (tastefully used they're fantastic).
    Maybe the Danelectro CoolCat or the LPB-1, a boost without coloring your sound too much can be useful.

7. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Probably shoulda mentioned that I have a ton of other pedals I never really use. Lots of Danelectro stuff from my poorer college days, and I've got a good wah too. I just hate using wah. I don't ever want to be "that guy" -- I had to record a band once and it was painful. It was really obnoxious frat band and the guitar players BOTH used wah (kind of poorly) in every. single. song. That just about ruined the effect for me forever.

8. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

Try the new Xotic Robotalk. It is sort of like having 2 seperate envelope followers and allows you to easily flip from a good single-note to a good chord setting. Since you play funk, you might have some fun with this - I've got one heading my way.

9. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

maybe some recording or live gear? or a power soak? or some books/videos?

if you're not sure what effects you like get a multi effect to test drive a lot of sounds...