1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What should my next pedal be?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vendo, Jul 26, 2005.

1. vendo

vendo Member

Hi all

This is my first post here, although I have popped by to read the boards every so often. Glad to see that you guys actually discuss the stuff this forum was intended for!

Anyways, I am a relatively new player and I've been slowly amassing gear, always trying to be diligent in the research stage. I play a Gibson SG Standard into a Traynor YCV50BLUE. I only own four pedals (Maxon OD-9, Maxon SD-9, Big Muff Pi, and a Line6 ubermetal). I feel I have a good range of distortion covered but was wondering if there's anything else I should be looking to acquire... a must have item every guitarist needs (wah? compressor? delay, chorus???)?

I'd appreciate any suggestions you'd care to offer. I play all types of music except jazz and country. I love punk, hard rock, classic rock, etc. (Zep! KISS!)

Thanks everyone!

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

you're kind of vague, but every guitarist needs a wah. I don't think it even classifies as an effect anymore

3. erksin

erksin Member

I guess a wah is probably a good choice for your next pedal, a chorus/rotary/vibe unit might be cool too...

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

Add a delay - it will give ambiance to your cleans and fatness to your overdrives.

5. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Delay or chorus.

6. vendo

vendo Member

What wah pedals would you recommend? How about a chorus/delay? Any favourites?

Thanks for the suggestions BTW!

7. Antero

Antero Member

I'd say delay. Chorus is optional - you never NEED a chorus, it just makes certain things sound nicer - and wah is often a good way to make everyone around you hateful. Delay does something really significant.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yeah, I'd recommend a delay. For price, size, features and TONE, I love my Line 6 EchoPark. Sounds way better than than the DL4. Only other delay I feel compelled to try is the new Diamond Memory Lane, real analog with a tone control and tap tempo. Oh yeah, tap tempo is a must.

9. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Are you using the crunch channel of your YCV50? I have one and I really like the crunch channel (with the boost engaged) for my basic distortion tone and find I don't need a distortion pedal.

10. vendo

vendo Member

<b>Are you using the crunch channel of your YCV50? I have one and I really like the crunch channel (with the boost engaged) for my basic distortion tone and find I don't need a distortion pedal.</b>

Yeah, I use the crunch channel too and love it! But I also like using pedals, and I've found I can get a nice variety of different tones (like a sonic smorgasbord!)

Thanks for the tips on delay pedals. Only a couple more questions if you guys will indulge me...

anyone used any of the Electro-Harmonix dealy stuff? How about the Dunlop fuzz-wah?

Thanks!

11. rabbit

rabbit Member

Which delay time do you need? The EH Memory Man is "only" 300ms, you should probably check whether that is enough. This might help you narrow it down to a certain number of delay to try out extensively.

Since the EH does chorus and vibr. as well, what about a kind of multi-fx stompbox? - no, I´m not talking about Digitech and the likes, but e.g.

-Visual Sound H2O (two great fx chorus/delay in an affordable and compact package)

-Line6 MM4 (the next step to a "cover all mod.fx" unit)

Happy hunting!

12. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

something from 2 years ago, for sure.