What side of the drummer do you want to be on?

Funky54

In Trio’s I get to be positioned so that the drummer is to my left.. love that. In a four piece I’m usually in front of the drummer. Hate that. I feel more connected timing wise and I like to see the fret board from time to time.

You? And please share why.

Last edited:

Bluedano1

I play sitting down, in a few R&R trios- small/ medium lounge gigs
(so I guess it's a different thing, but I am the lead singer too...)

One group the bass player likes to be just to the drummer's right, so I'm to his left ( stage right)
Complete opposite in other Trio!
We just all get comfy, and jam.

derekd

Supporting Member
I don't really care, but if given the choice, I'll be to the left of the drummer and turn my gear slightly toward center stage.

eichaan

I like the drummer on my left, but so long as I'm close enough to see his foot, I feel connected to the groove.

Funky54

Most of my experience has had the bassist far stage left, hi-hat side. One band I was in we put the drummer forward far stage left and everyone was stage right. I’ll do whatever, but I really don’t like being stage left of the drummer.

GenoVox

Silver Supporting Member
In almost every band I’ve ever been in, I’ve been to the drummer’s right (left side as you’re looking at the stage). I don’t think it’s really been by choice... it’s just how it’s worked out

Edit: correction... in my High School-era bands, I was on the opposite side. I had totally forgotten about that til this thread got me thinking :p

Trending Topics