What side of the drummer do you want to be on?

Lef T

Curious, any who prefer stage left / hihat side, are you left handed?
I like the drummer to my left.
I'm left handed and like to be on the right side of the stage,with everyone to the left of me
For me that's the most natural place to be positioned.

supergenius365

Supporting Member
Front man/guitarist of a 4 piece. Drummer always ends up behind me on stage and I don’t like it. I feel I am constantly turning around just to make eye contact with him. In rehearsal we face each other. My goal is to have the songs down so well that we don’t really need eye contact, but I like to connect with him anyway.

shredtrash

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Stage center or right for me. I like to step out for my solos without my cable tripping me up.

JB_SC

Gold Supporting Member
I'm usually on our drummer's floor tom / ride cymbal side (drummer to my left), to keep the crash, snare, and hi-hat bleed into my vocal mic to a minimum.

kkregsg

I usually wind up on his right side, but I would dearly love to be on his left. Because I'm already 2/3 deaf in my right ear, he's a heavy hitter, and I wind up with a headache. But ya have ta pay your dues to sing the blues.

Funky54

I usually wind up on his right side, but I would dearly love to be on his left. Because I'm already 2/3 deaf in my right ear, he's a heavy hitter, and I wind up with a headache. But ya have ta pay your dues to sing the blues.
Get the man a 16" bass drum with a blanket and tell him to build the shed on his own time.

willyboy

Doesn't matter to me what side I'm on, I prefer the bassists that have a preference to choose so they can lock in with the drummer better and then I'll go on the opposite side. The only thing that may change that is if there are two or three guitarists then it's a matter of making it work best for everyone involved.

Wyatt Martin

I'm usually on the left/ high hat side. The bass player on the right likes to see what I'm doing on the fretboard if he gets confused on the chord progression. It also allows me to coordinate endings by eye contact with the bassist and drummer.

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
Given a choice I prefer to have the drummer on my left. My first two bands I was given that spot so I got used to listening from that side. I’m also left handed on the phone so that may play into it as well.

i don’t particularly care except that i do prefer to stick to the same side per project once it’s settled, however random that initial settling is.

Rockledge

I prefer the left. That way if we have someone sitting in or need to get a pickup bass player I can turn so he can see my hands, and more importantly we play a lot by eye contact so I want to be able to turn and see the drummer for signals easily..
I also like using my right ear for my amp, which is less awkward on the left side of the stage ( from the point of view of facing the audience).

Calebz

Bassist’s choice.
Yup. When we were a 5 piece things were always more complicated. Now with 4, drummer and singer in the middle. Me and the bass split to each side. I always let him have first pick so he can be where things are best for him relative to the drummer.

Trending Topics