what signature guitar do you think sells the most based on it's association with the endorser?

wsaraceni

Silver Supporting Member
I happen to have a few signature guitars. a Brian May mini may, a Les Paul, a Steve Stevens model Washburn, a PRS Santana Brazilian. I didn't buy any because of Les Paul, Brian May, SS or Santana. that got me thinking. I want a Dean ML. not because I love the design (although I do think it's cool). I want one just because of Dime. And if my instagram searching is any indication, id say almost 99% of ML owners are HUGE Dime fans. And with the amount of import MLs sold I'm not sure any others are close. Anyone have any ideas of other signatures that are as popular?

Bonus question. is a Les Paul a signature guitar or would you need the "Slash" Les Paul for it to be considered a signature guitar? I kinda lean towards the later.

Blanket Jackson

Every day is like Tio's birthday
Gold Supporting Member
Are we to consider all modern day Gibson Les Pauls as being endorsed by Les Paul? No sure I would extend the concept of "endorsement" that way.

A Slash Les Paul? That makes sense.
An Eric Johnson strat? Yup.

Les Paul? I think that is not the same.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
It's got his signature right on the head stock and is named after him. How much more "signature" do you want?
True of course, but it becomes semantics. I look at it as it's an uber signature guitar. When you have multiple other signature versions of a signature guitar, you have to consider it to be a special case, regardless of what you choose to call it.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I don't really have any way to accurately answer the OP's question, doubt there's an way to measure ti, but if I take it to mean what percentage of a signature guitar's sales are based on the signature, regardless of total sales compared to others, then I would say the Brian May model might be a good guess.

Bankston

The obvious answer is the Les Paul.

I read in Guitar World that the Petrucci signature model sells like crazy.

George Lynch has had signature model ESPs for 30+ years. I wonder how many of those they've sold?

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
I’d venture to guess there’s a lot of John Mayer fans that bought a Silver Sky due to his endorsement of PRS.

Les Paul isn’t really the answer because people think of a Les Paul as a guitar type - I doubt the general public even realizes that Les Paul was a professional musician (and one heck of a musician at that).

sedawkgrep

Gold Supporting Member
Les Paul isn’t really the answer because people think of a Les Paul as a guitar type
It sort of transcended beyond sig model didn't it? It absolutely was a sig model by our standards when it was being bought and played in the 50's/60's and probably even 70's. But as all these different types of guitars came and went, very, very few stood the test of time...and I'd say the Les Paul is the only sig model to do so.

Trending Topics