what signature guitar do you think sells the most based on it's association with the endorser?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wsaraceni, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

true. Brian May guitars are probably 100% Brian May fans. its so unique.

TB72 likes this.
  3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

good reply. this makes a lot of sense to me. I wonder what the sales figures are between this and the dean ML

4. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Supporting Member

I know of at least 4.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shane8, Bill Lumberg, gerg6 and 5 others like this.
  5. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

My gut tells me probably Clapton, with the chance the it's the 000-28EC from Martin that has the tightest "buying this particular guitar because of this particular player".

I'd be curious to see what sort of market data Gretsch has on the pull Brian Setzer's name has on their target audience. Another potential would be Chet Atkins - both Gretsch and Gibson have placed a degree of importance on his name with respect to some distinctive guitars over the years. Joe Bonamassa seems to have a pretty loyal following as well.

Though I suppose one of the things that's difficult with signature instruments is untangling the "person wants guitar b/c famous player's name is on it" from "guitar company has put together a fantastic guitar with specs I really like." For example - I'm a Warren Haynes fan, but didn't buy my Warren Haynes 335 because if it, it just wound up being the right 335 for me with the right feel/tone (after going through a bunch).

gerg6 and FenderBigot like this.
  6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before

I couldn’t agree more, but the premise of the thread is what sells because of the player on the headstock, not who had a sig guitar transcend the musician.

People buy Les Pauls not because they’re into the ridiculously good jazz musician, but because they want a punchy low mid throaty, fat singing tone that few guitars other than Les Pauls do. The biggest irony about the instrument is that it’s a cornerstone of rock and roll and yet Les’ idea of it was the Recording model - keep things as clean and clear as possible, distortion was the enemy.

Nobody outside of a few niche musical circles even knows who Les Paul is or understands his relevance these days. I don’t agree with it, but if you ask what sells because of the musician I bet it’s a select few: John Mayer, Joe Bonamassa, John Petrucci, Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck...

Corvid likes this.
  7. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

8. poppunk

poppunk Member

I'll avoid the Les Paul situation, so aside from that I'd like to support the Mayer and Pettrucci options in the expensive guitars. Apparently not only are there 233 different JP style guitars over the years from EBMM, the Majesty is by far their best selling guitar.

In non-expensive guitars, I'd throw out J Mascis Jazzmasters. There are tons of these out there and a huge number of people seem to love them. But are the bulk of these people J Mascis fans?

9. Shnook

Shnook Member

I’d say any of the EVH models...EBMM, Peavey, EVH.

A few mentions of the Clapton Strat. Funny but true, I’ve purchased 2 Clapton Strat’s not because of Clapton but because Mike Keneally plays one albeit a thoroughly modded one.

shane8 and ESW. like this.
  10. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I think although the volume is probably lower than something like a Jem or a Clapton Strat, the ESP George Lynch signature guitars probably get sold to Lynch fans more than any other type of player. I am not going to consider a Les Paul a signature guitar. It is not 1958 any longer, Les Paul is a type at this point.

11. Qstick333

Qstick333 Member

Im guessing PRS with John Mayer. I don’t own one, but with the plethora of strat options on the market, there has to be a strong link to Mayer with the majority of purchases.

12. GT40

GT40 Member

Yup. I figured Les Paul was the name of some guy at Gibson. I didn't find out he was some hundrd year old Jazz guy until after I bought mine

Corvid likes this.
  13. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

I actually think a lot of people can't get along with the vintage frets, but I could be wrong.

FenderBigot likes this.
  14. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Going by the prerequisite of sales based on the artist then the Les Paul would be out. People aren't buying them in mass because they are all huge Les Paul fans. Clapton strats probably sell more based on specs than Clapton admiration. Petrucci is a really solid guess.

Corvid likes this.
  15. I R P

I R P Member

The expensive ones probably don’t sell that well. I’m guessing Epiphone Slash is a big seller. The Bonamassa stuff seems to sell well.

Also... I’ve seen more than a few St. Vincent guitars in the wild.

shane8 likes this.
  16. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Perhaps we need to start asking ourselves why we buy a signature guitar, is it because of the name on it? or because it offers us something other guitars don't?

I have a PRS se Zack Myers VS (not the snot green one lol) why? because it offered me what I wanted at my price point, single cut semi hollow, 24.5 scale length, wide fat neck carve & bird inlays, ok so the tuners will probably get swapped out but man is that bridge the mutt's dangly's! .. so who the hell is Zack Myers? you guessed it never heard of him before finding the guitar and never heard his band.

I wouldn't buy a guitar simply because it has someones name on it, its not going to help me play like them.

PS only the early Les Pauls , SG's & recording can really be classed as signature guitars, as the guitars started selling the range expanded far further than can have been imagined.

Fr3shMak3r likes this.
  17. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Id guess petrucci for many many models and mayer for the one model.
    Technically id guess the les paul is the greatest selling signature gtr by leaps and bounds and for 70 years too.

18. babel2

babel2 Member

+1 on Petrucci & John Mayer.

I think both of them sell way beyond their fan base because the wider range of customers trust both of them to do a good job tonally and to put out genuine tailored guitars ... not just badges.

19. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

Yes, Petrucci.
    On another note, I find it interesting EBMM is possibly the only company that relies and focus on their sig models more so than their regular line up. The Axis used to be hot in the past but they are kind of hard to come by nowadays.
    Granted they actually make killer sig guitars, not just for the die hard fan's, but for the players.
    I recently got me a Valentine sig and it's a pure joy to play on, and I didn't even know who Valentine was until I looked him up.

Beto likes this.
  20. babel2

babel2 Member

Good point. The axis was the EVH model prior to him leaving for peavey.