What sits between vintage RAT and vintage MXR Distortion plus?

I play different guitars for different band.
I've landed on a guitar I'm in love with but it takes Distortion a little differently than my others.
with all my other guitars a vintage MXR distortion plus produces my favourite distortion sound. with this one, that is a tad on the shrill side and a little thinner. I also have a vintage RAT which makes this same guitar sound albeit awesome but just a tad too warm/flat.
I want to hold onto my overdrive stacking as the "2nd gain flavour" in the band so stacking is not an option.
Ideally I'm looking for something that does that "lively responsive tube like distortion" sound that a vintage Distortion + does so well; but one that has an additional knob to get a bit warmer/fuller without getting muddy/flat.
The guitar is a Johnny Marr Jaguar.
2 single coils.
surprisingly it's a pretty warm sounding guitar for a Jag. I'm most likely to play it in the standard bridge and neck on switching option.

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
KO Amps D+? It’s basically a vintage Distortion + but adds a tone knob. To my ears when the tone knob is all the way up it’s a standard Distortion +, but as you turn it down it removes treble.

i’m confused, the Filter knob of a RAT can go from warm to harsh / splatty. isn’t there a sweet spot?
Yes my RAT sounds great on all my guitars. But I just notice that even with the filter fully dialed to CCW (the most Trebley setting) that on this guitar jag still has slight my warmth than I want. It's not like that on my other guitars. Just a nuance of this one.

KO Amps D+? It’s basically a vintage Distortion + but adds a tone knob. To my ears when the tone knob is all the way up it’s a standard Distortion +, but as you turn it down it removes treble.
Oh I hadn't heard of these guys. Will check it out. Have you played one?

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
Yep, I dig it. i had a reissue mxr dist+ that was ok but I like this one better. It also has more volume than the reissue I had which is good for this style pedal. The only thing I don’t like is that it’s a mini pedal which isn’t my thing.

If you send Ko amps an email they’ll make it in a larger size box (which I might do at some point).

Oh I hadn't heard of these guys. Will check it out. Have you played one?

modernp

I like the sound of the SD-1 but when I tried it in the past it didn't stack well with my overdrive. I have changed overdrives since then so I could give it another try.
Are they all the same or do older SD-1s have abetter sound?
I use mine with the gain almost off, volume to unity and tone to taste.

A.Maiah

I´ve played a Jaguar as my main guitar for almost ten years. It has a SD Halfpounder on the neck and a P90 style single on the bridge. I played mostly a vintage MXR D+ but also a modified RAT 2 (modded to vintage specs). I´ve been happy with both running into a clean Fender Blackface Bassman. Now, in the last years i´ve played mostly through an OKKO Diablo, which is a BluesBreaker style OD, so you might wanna look into this circuit. It´s amplike and you have more control over the eq than with the MXR and the RAT.

Kind of sounds like you need a Brad sarno solar flare. It’s like a a non shrill d+ on steroids with a tone control.
I owned one of those for a while last year. And although it's a great pedal it just did not bring enough gain and character to the party Compared to my favourite vintage d+

Trending Topics

Top Bottom