What size guitar is good for a 7 y/o?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by samdjr74, Dec 12, 2005.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

Hi All,

My nephew wants to take up the guitar and I'm not sure if I should get him a 3/4 scale or full scale. He is 7 and every other musical instrument I've gotten him he loves but in the past it was a drum set and a keyboard so size wasn't a huge concern. But I don't want to get him something that is too big for him or too small. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

3. jsmith45

jsmith45 Member

Look here for some samples.
    http://www.thatllteachyou.com/smallsizeguitars/

http://www.rondomusic.net sells some short scale guitars under the SX label (or at least the used to).

The shortest scale decent electric I have used is the FenderĀ® Stratocaster Jr. Guitar. It is made in Mexico, comes in black or red, and is really very good in quality considering the low price (about $360). There are more short scale acoustics around than electrics, probably because they fall under the category of "travel guitar".

Good luck. Let us know what you decide on.

Jeffery

4. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I got my first guitar when I was 6, it was a 3/4 scale classical (my mom wanted me to be segovia). It worked out great for my size, but eventually I wanted to rock, so it was time for an electric when I got a little older. I still have the classical, and my niece who's 7 is started to take a little notice to it.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I teach a 7-year old and recommended a 3/4 classical for him. It's not expensive - decent imports cost under $200 - but it's a real instrument, it sounds good, it fits him comfortably (which eliminates an unneccesary obstacle to enjoyment) and he can keep it forever.

6. samdjr74

Thanks for the advice all, looks like he's getting a 3/4 scale.

Thanks,
    Sam

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

1/2 or 3/4. Get him an electric with very good action. Acoustics can be rough on little fingers.

8. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

That's why a classical guitar with nylon strings would be a bit better.

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yeah, that's what I thought. He can always make the transition.

10. samdjr74

The only problem I see with a nylon is changing the strings. I don't live near him so I just can't stop by and take care of it plus an electric should stay in tune better with the steel strings. Then again his parents can always take it to the local music store i suppose.

11. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

Fender makes a Bullet hardtail for around a hundred bucks - its approx. 3/4 scale.

HT

12. jazzchaos

jazzchaos Member

I bought my 7yo a Squier '51 and had my local tech work on it. He loves it...perfect size for him.

13. warren0728

warren0728 Member

my son is getting the bullet for christmas with a roland mini cube amp. The body is thinner than a strat and is much lighter but the neck size is closer to a standard guitar.

I didn't want him to learn on a child size guitar....and then have to retrain his fingers for a full size.

I find my son spends more time trying to keep my heavier guitars in place because of the weight so i think the bullet will be perfect.

ww

14. samdjr74

So are you guys saying get him something with a 3/4 size body but full scale neck?

15. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Trust me on this -- Ibanez Daytripper Electro-acoustic. It's downsized, blue and plays easily. And a 7 yr old can get his right arm around it.

I have a used one I'll sell to you -- but even ignoring my spam, it was the best guitar I could find when my son was 7.

16. samdjr74

Joe,

Can you send me some pics of it and your asking price?

Thanks,
    Sam

17. TBone

TBone Member

If you've got the time and a little bit of crafting skills, consider a more personal approach that I took.

I built my 4 year son a Stewart McDonald mini Strat - finished it daphne blue with a white pick guard. It tunes higher to A instead of E due to the 17 fret short scale. 11 years, and a couple of production guitars later, when I had a custom Strat made for him and asked what he wanted. He picked a Melancon Pro Artist with a daphne blue finish and white pick guard.

The baby Strat lives in a custom anvil case now and my son is majoring in guitar at college.

TBone:AOK

18. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I can do that tomorrow. I don't have pics of it right now. It's not in mint shape. We lost the washer and nut that holds the output jack in its hole -- I've been meaning to get a replacement, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think I paid about $235 for the guitar, and another $25 or so for a gig bag. I'd let the whole thing go for $125.

Another option for you --- if the kid wants an electric is a Squier mini-strat. They play surprisingly well for a $99 guitar. I didn't buy that for my son because I thought it might be too small for him.

19. samdjr74

I hate to say this but I think I'm going to head ove to GC today, ouch!!!

Let me see what they have in stock, maybe something will jump out.

20. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Check out that Ibanez Joe mentioned . ;)