What size lawn justifies a riding mower?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Family Man, Jul 25, 2019.

What size lawn justifies use of a riding mower?

1. 1/4 acre

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. 1/2 acre

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. 3/4 acre

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. 1 acre

21 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. 2 acres +

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Riding mower?! Back in my day...

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Don't all TGP members pay others to mow?

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Family Man

Family Man Silver Supporting Member

Obviously there are variables that can make everybody's answer different for the same question, but I still want your opinion.

So let's hear it in the form of a poll!

2. YBNVS

YBNVS Member

I dont have a big yard but I have a riding mower. What justifies it for me is that the grass would be very tall everytime I had to push mow it.

sixstringfuel and 70 Mach 1 like this.
  3. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

I also use mine to plow snow off the driveway. That justifies it for me more without consideration of the lawn size.

fretless, sixstringfuel and 70 Mach 1 like this.
  4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

5. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

In Connecticut, our yard was 1/2 an acre - about the right size for a walk-behind mower. It didn't take too, too long to get the yard mowed. With anything over 3/4 an ,the time (and energy) you save by not having to walk the entire time seems to be the tipping point for me.

Plus, cannot speak for everyone, but as I have gotten older, an "acre" seems to be increasing in size.

6. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

It's not the size of the lawn that determines the validity of having a riding lawn mower - it's the location - if your lawn is in theSouth (NASCAR Country!) I believe minimum is a strip of semi grass type product 4 feet long x at least 1.2 feet wide. If your lawn is in the North East and not in Jersey - you are required to hire a lawn service for 3 years before you buy a riding lawnmower. And after you buy one you are required by law to let your lawn service use it. If you are in New Jersey only the foolish mow their lawns - and give away where Uncle Fritz buried the competition. If you are in the Midwest - you buy a tractor and not a riding lawnmower - unless you live in St Louis or any part of the Detroit. Then you are required to have at least 25 acres before you give up your push mower. In the West there is no lawn size requirement - in fact the nicer and cleaner your riding lawnmower looks while you have it parked in the garage instead of your SUV the better. Bi Monthly washing and waxing is mandatory. Should you ever start the engine you need to buff out the muffler until it looks like new.

7. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

I bought one when my lawn reached 1/2 acre. I could have done it with a small one but it was still a reasonable amount of room for the tractor. Still took a fair amount of time.

I have 3 acres now and I pay a crew. If it was just the grass, no problem. But I have dozens of large trees (live oaks shed 3X/yr), easily a half mile of edging, shrubs, etc. I pay someone.

8. frankg11

frankg11 Member

.75 acres but it all elevation changes. Grass areas punctuated with planters. From driveway is 20 feet up the road. I have to use a self propelled walk behind.

9. aldocello

aldocello Member

I'm always amazed at my lazy neighbors mowing their 40' x 50' lawns with a John Deere, especially the mowers without mufflers. I used to mow over an acre with an 18" wide toro. Because I'm old and handicapped now I've got people to do it.

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

I went with 1/2 acre. Actually, maybe less. The key is do you have room to get it around everything in your yard. If you have 20-30 trees in 1/2 acre lot, it might not be worth the hassle. I used to have a full acre lot, with a fair amount of trees mostly around the edges, with a 1/2 dozen in the interior lot. That was great for the Dixon ZTR I had then.

Now, I have this little lot, and no room to even drive one to the back yard. I mow it all in maybe 30 minutes with a push mower.

11. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have a Toro snow blower for that. Takes 15 minutes. I used to enjoy mowing with the Dixon. I hate using the push mower even for the small lawn.

12. Rick51

Rick51 Member

I'm ok with two hours with my self-propelled mower and another 20 minutes with the string trimmer. Mowed and bagged. That's a half acre fenced with a lot of trees.

13. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Lawn Time (vs. size) > 1 HR with push or self-propelled mower would be my metric as well as inclines/hills on the lawn. I'm about there now and for the time being I enjoy the walking mower but at some point might go with riding.

14. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

Humidity has more to do with it for me.

wetordry likes this.
  15. wetordry

wetordry Member

If 1/4 acre is roughly 100 ft x 100 ft, that's big enough.
    But if there's a large house in the middle of that, maybe a push mower works.
    Its all about what you want to do with your time, because I'll ride a mower in temps you dont want to push one.
    And when the grass gets a little tall, yuk.

16. Funky54

Funky54 Member

We’re just shy of a half acre and our house with garage is about 2600’. I pushed it for about 4 years and that was probably better quality and exercise. My neighbor bought a new riding lawn mower and wanted rid of his old, I bought it for $50 and have been mowing with it for 4 years now.

Pushing took 3 1/2 hours with trimming, edging, hedges and pickup. The rider cut an entire hour out of that time.

Weird culture where I live, very very few people mow their own grass. Most everyone has a service.

17. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I can trim and mow my yard in 60-90 minutes depending on how high the grass is, but usually 60 minutes is the normal.

For me, it’s also about prioritizing garage space. I’d rather spend an hour with a push mower and have more space in the garage than have a large riding mower to store and save only about 20 minutes per mowing session.

neastguy and time2kill like this.
  18. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I have 1/2 acre and push it. Takes 1.25 to 1.5 hours depending on heat.

Many of my neighbors use riding mowers to do .25 acres. One guy had to install his shed sideways because there wasn’t enough clearance to drive his mower out.

19. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

When I was prowling Craigslist for a snowthrower I found this lawn tractor with a snow blade and mowing deck for about the same price thatsellers wer asking for two-stage self propelled blowers. I'm about 50-50 on whether I mow with the push mower or the rider, but I'll never go back to scooping the snow off the driveway by musclepower.

scottlr likes this.
  20. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

About this size, but it would have to be a zero turn mower.
    [​IMG]

MkIII Renegade, NotWesYet and Hacksaw like this.