What size lawn justifies a riding mower?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Family Man, Jul 25, 2019.

What size lawn justifies use of a riding mower?

1. 1/4 acre

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. 1/2 acre

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. 3/4 acre

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. 1 acre

21 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. 2 acres +

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Riding mower?! Back in my day...

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Don't all TGP members pay others to mow?

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

People around here don’t buy riding mowers much anymore. Zero turns are the thing.

2. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I voted 3/4 just to see the results.

I have around a Hectare (10,000 sq meters) which is about 2 acres (I think).
    Currently, a local farmer harvests the hay once are twice a year depending upon yield.
    That is about to change and I want the grass maintained not too long a length for the foreseeable;
    more than 3" is too high.
    All of my property isn't hay growing field, neither.
    We have tried a couple of garden services, but they are far too expensive for the shoddy quality of work.

Currently we have a couple of neighbors cutting for us and it is a s good as it has ever been....better than the jungle I been fighting for the past 7 years. We are really on the cusp of requiring a tractor as we have other task which need doing.

Personally, I'd rather walk the entire place...which equals an expensive pro mower. Still, it would take many hours to cut the whole place walking. We haven't figured it out yet.

3. time2kill

time2kill Member

My sister gave me an older Jonn Deere riding lawn mower. I spent two days and about $100 to make it work. My 1/4 acre lawn has trees, gardens, flowerbeds, and a firepit. I spent so much time backing up and mowing around stuff, it just wasn't worth it. I just use the push mower.

I was thinking about selling it, but I do like the idea of putting a blade on it and plowing my driveway when the snow arrives.

Storage is another issue. In the winter season, I want the wife's car in the garage and the motorcycle in the shed.

Still trying to decide if I'm going to keep it or not.

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Just pave your yard and enjoy the weekends mower free.

Family Man and C-4 like this.
  5. auralfeast

auralfeast Member

Riding mowers are fun - they take the drudgery out of mowing.

6. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I think the deciding factor is not size, but time and effort. Our old house took about 1:15 with a self propelled mower, but it was reasonably flat and didn't wear you out too badly.

Our new house has a bit more acreage, but it's on a hill and even with the self propelled mower it was brutal. I did it twice before I went out and bought a rider.

7. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Member

Storage. That's what made the choice for me. Once I had adequate storage that didn't displace a car out of the garage, the deal was sealed.

Now days, I have a 36'x36' shop with a riding mower, a ZTR, and a tractor with a 6' brush hog. To say "I mow a lot", would be a gross understatement.

ctreitzell likes this.
  8. drewl

drewl Member

I like to use the push mower for exercise.

All I know is when the tractor would break I'd have to mow my parents two acres with the push mower.

ctreitzell and neastguy like this.
  9. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

It’s a question of time for me, vs physical size.
    Anything that takes longer than an hour with a conventional mower requires something bigger, whether that’s a ride on, or a multi blade commercial type mower is up to y’all.

10. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Or xerisescape your yard.

FenderBigot likes this.
  11. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

There's a house down the street from us where they covered the entire front yard with paving stones. They installed some sort of Greek God fountain as well. It's incredibly tacky.

12. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

If ya can’t walk size won’t matter.

sixstringfuel and ctreitzell like this.
  13. neastguy

neastguy Member

I had a riding mower at our old house and it was fun... totally did not need it, but got a good deal on it..... it finally died and I bought a lawn mower... but it was fun while it lasted.. I know I looked pretty stupid out there on it..lol... push mower does a better cut IMO ..

14. gjohnson441496lpjr

gjohnson441496lpjr Member

It takes me 45 minutes with a self propelled Husqvarna. I consider it a workout.

Scrapperz and ctreitzell like this.
  15. RJLII

RJLII Member

For me it was a time thing. More than 30 minutes with a pusher = I need a rider. I use the rider to chop and bag leaves in the fall too.

scott58 likes this.
  16. scott58

scott58 Member

Not exactly sure what size my yard is, but 3hrs with a push mower or 40 minutes with my tractor. Tractor wins every time.

17. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Buy what you want, pay who you want, do you thing!

[​IMG]

It's tough from some people to push around mowers as they get older and sometimes people you think should be able too really can't (knees, ankles, painful tattoos). And yes, the heat, humidity or time play a roll here too. I push mow, too many trees and angles around my yard to make much use of a riding mower and I like the exercise; generally...

gjohnson441496lpjr likes this.
  18. Stike

Stike Member

My tattoos only hurt during the application.:dunno

19. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Whatever size the owner of the lawn and mower deems necessary? :dunno

20. Woodenfish

Woodenfish Member

I have a half acre lot. Started off with a walk behind and it was brutal during rapid springtime growth. Way too much time and energy spent so I sold the walk behind and bought a new Cub Cadet lawn tractor with a 38” deck. It reduced the time from 4 hours to 40 minutes to cut, trim and clean up the lawn. I thought how great! The tractor cost me about $2650 with the mulching blade upgrade plus tax and delivery charges from the dealer.

The tractor cut great but ate gasoline, tires, batteries, blades, spark plugs, oil, filters for engine oil, air, fuel and hydrodrive. Service maintenance and repairs grew quickly. I needed to replace the exhaust manifold and ignition coil once engine trouble developed past warranty. Spent much time on cleaning it from heavy grass build up on the deck after each use and greasing fittings. Needed to build ramps for storing the tractor in my 10 x 12 shed which in its entirety of needs consumed a lot of space for other things. Had to purchase a string trimmer which required 2 stroke fuel, additional gas can, grease gun and cartridge, oil drain pan, a pressure washer to keep it clean and a battery charger.

Although it was fun to operate, its ownership required a lot of money and space and it was already needing much more work after less than 150 hours of operation time. The padded vinyl seat was now torn and the deck was rusting and needed repainting. Headlight bulbs had burned out for the third time.

When operating the lawn tractor I found it really threw a lot of cuttings and ground dirt containing pollens and molds which would affect my allergies. After mowing I would have to strip off my clothes into the washing machine and immediately shower. My allergies would become relentless for three days following a cut and made sleeping in a recliner chair necessary in order to breathe.

I’ve cut huge amounts of grass over my lifetime but this was the final straw. I sold it during a garage sale for $1200 and have had a lawn service ever since. I pay a professional crew $35 per week to mow, edge and blow. It just didn’t make any financial sense to me to own and operate a lawn tractor any longer. I would never recommend one to purchase and I absolutely love lawn care and spending time in my yard. I fertilize the lawn myself and have one of the most beautiful lawns in the subdivision. I just now have more free time, a savings and much allergy relief. Your mileage may vary.