• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

What slide should I get?

pennylink

I've played guitar on and off for 47 years, but have never tried slide. What would be a good first slide and in what material? Are there different sizes? I play blues and rock both with single coils and humbucker equipped guitars, and prefer a warm tone.

Stringrazor

What's your favorite color? ;-) Really, you have to try and see what you like. Everybody's different. I prefer a thick glass slide, a Dunlop 212, but I also have other glass, ceramic, chrome, and brass slides. I like the way the chrome sounds on my acoustic but think glass has a better midrange honk on electric. It's fun to experiment so pick up a bunch of different types and see what works for you.

mannish

No one can decide for you. I prefer a craftsman 5/8 deep well socket - occasionally I'll use thick dunlop glass -

forget the gadget-fad BS and get a basic dunlop or craftsman

acwild

Anyone have any experience with the Jetslide? I think those seem pretty cool
I got one of the original Jetslides. It takes a little getting used to but works well once you'd do. Out of my drawer-full of slides, my absolute favorite is the Joe Perry Boneyard. That one sounds and feels right for me.

cram

I had a similar thread a while back and went through several. I've always had this brass slide that I tried to play with - it's heavy, but when I have it on my middle finger, it works well enough.

I will tell you one thing: That brass slide isn't going to break.

Which brings me to glass :)

I loved the glass slides that I got. I tried a slightly oversized one for my liking and I got one that fit snug just above my first digit on my ring finger 3. I loved them both. I'll miss them both :) I have to put carpet or something near where I have them. I will get more soon.

Diamond

If you're just beginning slide you'll need something cheap, durable and a nice fit ~ to get the tone you're looking for on electric instruments i'd also say a Rocky Mountain Slide from my good friend Doc, and get hold of a Dunlop Pyrex - again, cheap & easily replaceable ;)

Slide On!

Ian.

Tito83

+1 for Glass. It does have a (way) warmer tone then any metal one - never tried ceramic ones, but from description they seem to be brighter. I use an old medicine glass bottle one that a friend gave me. It's pretty light, which made me play a lot better a lot faster, so, from personar experience, I advise to begin with a lighter one. After while, when you get confortable, try other ones for better tone and sustain - although I have to say I don't find myself really craving for new slides to test around.

Slides are way fun! Good luck on your search! ;)

dazco

1-buy one brass slide
2-buy a couple hundred glass/pyrex etc

Your choice. I guess if you don't use them over a hard surface you're ok with glass. I went thru them faster than beer on a hot nite.

drolling

If you're just beginning slide you'll need something cheap, durable and a nice fit ~ to get the tone you're looking for on electric instruments i'd also say a Rocky Mountain Slide from my good friend Doc, and get hold of a Dunlop Pyrex - again, cheap & easily replaceable
Agreed! Doc's slides are among my favorites; Very light, but as toneful as the heavier mo'fo's I've gravitated to over the years. The one I grab when my tendonitis is acting up!

The thing I like best about Dunlop slides (besides price/availablity) is that you can use their code number (for size/diameter) when you're ready to order a Diamond Bottleneck from Ian. I was a bit leery about ordering something so fragile from overseas, but haven't recieved a busted one yet. I'd recommend a hand-blown lead crystal model, but their hybrid glass/metal one's pretty cool, too

Trending Topics