What small digital recorder do you use?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Yossi, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Yossi

Yossi Member

I am interested in recording our regular jam sessions without getting elaborate with a studio-like situation. We've made a recording with just a simple digital handheld dictation type of recorder that sounding surprisingly good for what it was. There are several types advertised. What do you use and what do you think of it?

Thanks

2. Clapton is God

Clapton is God Supporting Member

I've heard great things about the Zoom H2. It seems it was designed for band practice in mind. It retails for $200, which is reasonable, but is also the reason I have not bought it yet. Do a google search, there is a lot of information about it. Hope this helps. :AOK

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Zoom H2. Cheap, easy to use and sounds great.

4. karmadave

karmadave Member

Highly recommend the Zoom H2 as an inexpensive, portable digital recorder...

-KD

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I use a Korg MR-1 and I love it.

6. Birddog

Birddog Member

I use a Zoom MRS-8 for practice and for gigs. It has a built in condenser mic which works fine. For gigs, I run a Shure mic. The Zoom works great.

It's also very good for multi-track recording.

7. barkndog

barkndog Member

Edirol R-09. So many people I know use this and all are happy.

8. DaveF

DaveF Member

anyone compare the sound on the H2 and H4? the xlr inputs on the H4 are somewhat attractive, but if I bought one of these things it would be used 99% of the time with just the built in mics.

9. sears

sears Member

I use the Olympus DS-30 for songwriting sketches. For remembering ideas and rehearsing a band you don't necessarily need WAV. If you think you might make a demo out of what you record, it's not good enough.

The plus is, I put it in my pocket and carry it with me everywhere for lyric and melody ideas.

10. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

+1

I bought mine when they first came out. The internal mics sound suprisingly good and they can take very high SPLs. Perfect for recording jams and rehearsals IMO. Just put it in a good spot, set the levels and push record.

11. gregm1948

gregm1948 Member

+1 for the HR2. The internal mics do a surprisingly good job. You can configure them to record from the front, the rear and front&rear. I don't want to use external mics and get more complex, so the HR2 keeps it simple.

Greg

12. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Just got an H2 and love it. It's like a digital camera for audio.
    I love that I can just stick the SD card in my laptop and open the files.
    A++

13. Butterfly

Butterfly Gold Supporting Member

As others have said, I believe the Zoom H2 was designed exactly for what you have in mind. And at the price point, its hard to go wrong.

14. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

We've been using the H2 to record practices now, and honestly, it sounds better than our demos using a $1k standalone.

15. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
  16. DøøG

DøøG Member

Edirol R-09. Sounds better than the Zoom H2. I had that Zoom, and traded it in for a R-09. Many bells and whistles on the Zoom, but just for a good capture, the Edirol beats it out. Better lows, for sure. I've used both for band rehearsals and gigs, drums and bass are more prominent with the Edirol. Thing is, the Edirol is about $200 more.

Go check out the Oreilly digital media site, they review a lot of the new digital recorders AND have sound clips. One is recording the same gtr, pretty much the same tune, you can AB them if ya like.

Anybody try the new Sony? PCM-D50? I've heard they're great (the clips on the oreilly site sound really good) but $100 more than the Edirol....

17. eyeteeth

eyeteeth Member

I'm listening to last nights audition from my Zoom H2 as I type. For ease of use and price point its exactly what I want... the 4 mic 360 degree feature is great for rehearsals where the amps are facing one way, and the monitors for vox are facing the other. Just set it in the middle of the room and hit record. I'm sure there are other units that sound better out there, but I have a fully stocked studio if I want high quality recordings, and the price point starts jumping exponentially to the audio quality. My only real complaint is it can go through batteries pretty quick, but it does ship with a wall wart which I've started using.

If you're ambitious... a little processing via your favorite audio app brings even more life out of the recordings.

Shop around.. you can find refirbs as low as $140.

Search the forums... there are a few H2 audio samples linked in this forum.

18. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

I use the Boss BR Recorder.

I think its the same as the Zoom but $189?

I cant remember

19. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Just got a Sony PCM-D50. In side by side recording with my bandmates Edirol R-09 it clearly has better fidelity, handles higher spl levels, has better bass response plus a bunch of nice features like "Divide" that the Edirol doesn't have. On the other hand it's about 1 1/2 times the price of the Edirol. We both agreed it worth the bucks.

20. DøøG

DøøG Member

I believe it, just by hearing the clips on the oreilly site, definitely better! Funny, a week after I got the Edirol (trading in the Zoom), was talking to an old jam mate who works at Sony. Said he could give me a break on it.....:jo