What small shops are building with piezo's?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by samdjr74, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:21 PM.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74 Member

Hey all,

I really want to add a piezo equipped guitar to my arsenal. I had a Godin years ago but I bought it for the midi system and neglected the piezo. I sold that years ago and now I'm looking for something without all the midi set up. Basically a semi hollow with a piezo, nothing fancy. Who's making such a guitar that won't break the bank ($2500 or less) I know there's Kiesel/Carvin, but who else?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

I know that you are already aware of Kiesel, but here is a review I did of my SH550, which fits the conditions of less than $2,500, semi hollow, and piezo:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/not-the-typical-kiesel.1878097/

I don't think you will run into a problem finding a small builder who will add a piezo, but I don't think you will find many that will fit your other criteria. At that price point, I would probably look at a used PRS, here is an example I found on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/6933503-prs-mccarty-hollowbody-1-piezo

If you like Godin, they use to make the Flat-Five, which was a bolt semi hollow, with a simple piezo setup. You can find one of those for quite a bit less than your target price.

samdjr74 likes this.
  3. samdjr74

samdjr74 Member

Thanks for the info. I was looking for a Godin Montreal 2 voice but either that or the flat five would fit my needs perfectly. Problem is neither is being made right now and they don't seem to come up used that often. But this helps, thanks!

Benz2112 likes this.
  4. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

I'd get a used PRS HB1 or HB2. Covers all your bases at high quality and should be within your price range.

samdjr74 likes this.
  5. dB

dB Supporting Member

6. django49

django49 Member

PRS is a good bet. There are other makers building them......Actually have two in the queue for 2018, but neither would fit under $2500.

7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yep, Pete uses them regularly.

whuppo likes this.
  8. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    Steve Benford, Benford Guitars. It will be under your budget.

9. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

I’d hold out. The Montreal is outstanding and despite being a little rare-ish sells for way less secondhand than it should.

10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

Almost everyone that does semi-custom work will do piezos as long as their hardware company supplies a piezo version of the bridge.

bet bet is a used musician man jp or a prs hbII in that price range.