what small tube amp to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ganzosrevenge, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

I'm split: champion 600 or a vox ac4tv.

if you have any other suggestions, just realize they have to be 5 watts or less and tube. This amp is STRICTLY a home amp, it will not see a gig.

Thanks

Jason

2. huskerjohn

huskerjohn Member

The answer kind of depends on your budget. If you are on a tight budget, both can give you some good tones to play with. I haven't heard the vox ac4tv, but imagine it has the vox voice. So both amps should have a decidedly different tone.

4 or 5 watts can be real loud, and the vix has the ability to cut the wattage down, giving you the overdrive crunch at lower volumes. If you are in a situation where you can't turn the amp up loud, this is a good option.

If you have an unlimited budget, there are about a dozen great amps to add to your list.

3. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Try and find a used Swart Spacetone SE...If you are happy with the tweed sound and want something with a great bluesy edge .

I had one for a while and stupidly sold it but plan on getting another when the time is right .

4. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

ideally, a little baby marshall concept would be best for me.

Jason

5. huskerjohn

huskerjohn Member

The Winnie is a good 5 watt marshall voiced amp.

http://www.winfieldamps.com/

Another option if the money is tight is to get a 70's era silverface champ and a crunchbox. You'd be in marshall and fender heaven.

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

7. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Out of those 2 , the watts switch option and the 10" speaker possibilities = Vox .

If you decide on the 600 , the Gretsch G5222 is same amp/mo'cooler cosmetically

What's street price on the Vox ?

8. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I wouldn't limit possibilities to 5 watts just because it'll be played at home. The LOUDNESS of 5 watts isn't that much less than a 12/18 watt amp, but you would gain significant headroom with the more powerful amp.

I'm enjoying the heck out of my newish Fender Super Champ DX. It does require better tubes and speaker to get the most out of it, but it's perfect for home use. The benefit being, I wouldn't have to think twice about grabbing and going out to gig or jam with it either. Try that with a 5 watt, unless you rely on a PA.

9. go7

go7 Member

I use a Victoria 5112 at home. A 5F1 champ circuit in a Deluxe size cab w/ a 12 in. speaker. I have been using this for about 5 years. Totally happy. Good luck!

10. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

I'd like to stay under $1000 if possible. The problem with 12/18w is that I'm just not sure if my 3 little sisters will not try to kill power to my room if I want to open it up. I like wide open throttle at a roomable volume, hence 5w all tube. I like the s2s, and what's a star nova?

Jason

11. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

5 watts can get pretty loud. The Vox is a cool amp but it probably gets pretty loud with a 10" speaker. If you want true bedroom volume, look into the mini amp that ZVex makes. I think it's 1 watt. Some guys have even said the ZVex is too loud if you crank it. I gig with a 6 watt '73 Fender Bronco sometimes in smaller places. That amp only has an 8" speaker and it keeps up with our drummer with no problem if he keeps his volume under control.

12. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

The trick with most of those amps is run the amp cranked but use the volume on your guitar and maybe an OD if you need more gain . doing that you can usually get a great sound at lower volume . Your other options are a POD or something of the sort with a headphone option .

13. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

what about this:

a champion 600 with a mercury magnetics mod in it?

14. huskerjohn

huskerjohn Member

You should look into amps with built in power scaling that allow you to crank an amp full tilt, but also back off the volume. You can get a Reeves custom 6 combo with power scaling for about $1000 new.

http://www.reevesamps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=45

You can get a Goodsell Super 7 for about $1000. This rocking amp can switch between 2 watts and 7 watts. If you can find this amp used for less, this may be your best value for what you want.

http://www.superseventeen.com/goodsell_models.html

As I posted above the Winnie from Winfield Thomas Amps is a good one.

Checking the amp emporium shows someone selling a Bumbox lead 1 with a nice looking 1x12 cab for $700. This is a one watt amp that you should be able to crank at home volumes. Here is a soundclip

http://www.bumboxamps.com/mp3/Lead1/20071113/Lead120071113_jackson_bust_none_bust_d.mp3

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  15. froglord

froglord Member

In which case, check out the Blackstar HT-5. Made by ex-Marshall engineers, 5w, two channels, all valve, and cheap as chips (as we say here in England).

http://blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-5/index.html

I'm not sure what the availability is yet in the US, but over here they're flying off the shelves.

16. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

Update: apparently, I can go to $2500 (my grandfather is going to match me $ for $ on this as I got my college transfer approved). Does this open any other avenues for the "mini-marshall" I want (I want something that can do a vintage stack style and the plexi as well)

jason

17. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

I want nice cleans, the ability to get squarely into black sabbath territory as well, something that has 5 watts, I play an american special stratocaster with a mahogany body, decked and clamped tremolo, 2 SSL-1s and a Brobucker are in it, and I like to use it for everything from buddy holly to sabbath. It will SOLELY be used in the house. I'd like hand-wired more than pCb.

Jason

18. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

I'm looking at the set-neck showmaster that's on the music gallery's website... one of the few guitars that gives me unreal GAS

Jason

19. huskerjohn

huskerjohn Member

Jason,

With that kind of money you can get a great amp. I'm having a Reinhardt 18 built for me with power scaling so I can use it at home and live. I really suggest you look here:

http://www.reinhardtamps.com/

Others to look at that include power scaling or the ability to lower wattage include:

Fargen Mini Plexi MKII: http://www.fargenamps.com/ampminiplex.html
    Goodsell Super 17 MK3: http://www.superseventeen.com/goodsell_models.html

20. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Member

I got my 80's, red snakeskin, Champ 12 for 50 bucks in a pawnshop. Single ended 6l6 output, sounds like it's turned up real loud at bedroom levels and the gain channel is loud enough to play at practice and in small clubs (although there's not a lot of clean headroom at high volume).