What smooth fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dksouthpaw, Jul 29, 2008.

1. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

So a while ago i purchased a Fulltone Soul-Bender to solve my lack of a really smooth organic fuzz tone. But i find it kind of lacking. I really want something with that Gilmour feel to it, clarity with bite but plays well with full chords etc. But yeah really trying to nail the smooth fuzz with a slight echo/delay in the background. any thoughts?

Recently been looking at the Skreddy Top Fuel, Mojo Hand Huckleberry and the MI Audio Neo Fuzz because of their versatility and so many knobs to tweak. any help would be wonderful. Looking to trade the Soul-Bender in for whatever would fit my need better

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

DK - What guitar and amp are you using? Fuzzes are finicky about that sort of thing. That said - if you are going for that Gilmour'ish type of fuzz - I'd look into Skreddy most definitely! Also - do you use a compressor? That helps a lot to get those Gilmour tones. Now - for smoothing out fuzz - a Klon after it with the gain low really helps to get rid of the "raspiness" - IMHO.

3. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

hah forgot to mention the set up, MIM tele with seymour duncan vintage pups into a Blues Jr NOS tweed.

4. SoulToStrings

SoulToStrings Member

I have outstanding results with a Homebrew UFO.

Reference tones with a strat and fender clean can be found on www.soultostrings.com

It can be very light fuzz or smooth and saturated

5. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I'm using a Keeley Fuzz Head as a lead boost. I just played my first gig with it and it was great. I wasn't necessarily going for the Gilmour thing but that's what it reminded me of.

6. Sixteen Down

Sixteen Down Member

I just purchased the MI Audio Neo Fuzz, in large part due to it's reputed "tweakability". I'm liking it so far, but I think I really need to spend some time playing with it to realize it's true potential. Right off the bat, I was able to dial in a really nice Mick Ronson "Ziggy Stardust" era fuzz tone. It does the Fuzzface thing pretty well and it can get you the real "splatty" type fuzz as well. Putting a nice clean boost after it really smooths out the rasp and fattens things up so the potential is there for the Gilmour type singing sustain, I just haven't tried to dial it in. I'm using an SG w/ Kent Armstrong P90s into either a Pro Jr. or Matchless Chieftain so YMMV.

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

"clarity with bite but plays well with full chords"

The Keeley FuzzHead is capeable of this and does it well.

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

The Fuzz Head does not have enough gain for late-era Wall tones, IMO. I would try something Muff-like. Maybe a MJM Foxey Fuzz. Maybe even a *Big Muff*...

9. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

thanks for all the input guys. any thoughts with the Skreddy Top Fuel? from the sound bytes it sounds great, but anyone have personal experience with it?

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

I personally don't have any experience with Skreddy pedals - I'm more of a fuzz face guy.... But from what I've heard from Skreddy - it sounds like some killer stuff....

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I'd shoot for the Psionic Audio 3.14.

In 'vintage' and 'hard' modes, it sounds very close to my D*A*M Ram Head - think: the solo from Comfortably Numb. Throw it into 'modern' and 'soft' and you've got more of an OD type tone that's a bit less biting. I think you'd dig it.

-Ben

12. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I know that, but the OP said he was lookin for a fuzz that he wanted "clarity with bite but plays well with full chords " thus the fine recommendation. Too much gain wreaks havoc with clear chords. :cool:

13. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

wow man that's really awesome. like seriously. I read your old pedal listings and that you had a Top Fuel. Kinda the same Floyd sound right but then the 3.14 has a little more variety yeah?

14. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

Hey DK,

I was going to post in this thread but I forgot. As I said in my PM, I think the Top Fuel does this really well. Good sustain and nice clarity on chords. Decent clean-up as well.

15. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Try a Muff..Big, Little Big, whatever.

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I thought the Top Fuel sounded like a very slick, smooth, compressed distortion. The Pink Flesh, IMO, sounds more like live, recorded, DSoT-era Floyd. Again, a bit slick and compressed, but the PF has more fuzz qualities than the Top Fuel.

The Ram and the 3.14... they don't have the slickness and compression. To me, they're more 'authentic' sounding if that makes sense and they're leaps more 'open' and 'big' sounding. Perhaps more along the lines of what was actually coming out of Dave's speaker before it was all treated by the sound guys or producers in post-production. I still own the Pink Flesh as it's an absolutely killer sounding pedal, but given what you want I think the 3.14 (or the Ram) would work better for you. Yes, and the Little Big Muff also gets good reviews and sounds great in the soundclip comparisons with higher-priced pedals that I've heard.

-Ben