What soldering kit to get ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mitchanator, Jul 26, 2015.

1. mitchanator

mitchanator Member

I wanna start swaping pickups and speaker. Which kit should i get from amazon. I don't mind paying a bit more and not have to buy a new one next year. So what are your recomendation. I have nothing not even a wire cutter.

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

3. guitz

guitz Member

anything made by Weller

4. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

agreed. Weller makes a quality product.
    I'd recommend getting with adjustable wattage to better suit different projects.
    also a wider chisel type for grounding to the back of your pots makes life a bit less frustrating

5. mitchanator

mitchanator Member

I can't seem to find a weller with adjustable wattage on amazon.ca

6. tweedster

tweedster Member

7. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

I use a Hakko. I took a stab at the Weller WES51 but it wouldn't get hot enough despite cranking the adjustable temp. Thought I had a bad unit so I got it replaced - same issue with the replacement. Luckily I had a cheap 20-40 watt Radioshack backup that at least got the job done. After doing some research, it seems that a lot of their newer units over the last couple of years have had problems. I ended up going with a Hakko and haven't looked back.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  8. Flash 442

Flash 442 Member

That's the one I keep looking at (Weller WLC100)!

9. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I have zero complaints about it. Different sized tips are readily available on Amazon too, but I've used the stock sized one for just about everything. Built a Metro Amp, did a bunch of pedal mods, modded a few of my amps, rewired a million guitars, numerous repairs, and even did some other non amp stuff with mine.

10. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

I've had one of these http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-...3493&sr=8-2&keywords=weller+soldering+station Weller WES51 for many years, it's indestructible and as long as you buy new tips for it. It's fine for high heat jobs like desoldering PAF pickup covers or putting ground-solder blobs on pots, and it works great for amp building and guitar repair.

Whatever you buy, make sure to get a metal desoldering pump like this one http://www.amazon.com/Desoldering-S...8&qid=1438053647&sr=1-19&keywords=desoldering

11. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

I would check the reviews of the Weller WES51 on Amazon before buying one. I did not write one on there, but if you see my experience in the post above, you'd see it's consistent with the reviews recently for 2013-2015. I'd save myself the headache and get something else. Seems like Weller's quality is not nearly what it once was.

12. 5881

5881 Member

13. telest

telest Member

A must for me is a duel station setup so you have one iron with a finer tip for general wire jobs etc... The second iron with a fat tip, or chisel tip for ground planes, pot housings, pickup covers etc... As stated above, Hakko, Weller are fine. I bought a no name unit a couple years ago on eBay for $40-50 and was surprised how well it has worked and lasted.

14. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I have a Hakko 939 soldering station. I have several various "pencil" solder irons in the garage. This thing is light years ahead.

15. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I have an adjustable solder iron now. But often still just use the old style.
    My favorite inexpensive is the Radio Shack 40 watter. It is like $13 and comes with some accessories. I have tried the Weller cheap ones and the Radio Shack is actually better for some reason. This may not be true of the Weller more expensive ones. The RS 40 will last a couple years with pretty heavy intermittent use. (some days on for 6 hours etc, some times not used for 2 weeks) You can probably build at least two entire amps and more with one. The other thing is 40 watts will allow you to solder to the back of potentiometers flowing well etc

16. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

Weller is the way to go, I've had one for years, never fails.

17. dsimon665

dsimon665 Supporting Member

Hakko FX888d here too...but I use it for more than OP mentions
    Its pretty great.

18. lhallam

lhallam Member

Whatever you get, be sure to get a temperature control station as opposed to just a pen or a gun.

19. mitchanator

mitchanator Member

Everything is complicated when you live in fkn quebec !
    When i see one recommended here in the canadian amazon store it's either out of stock or double the price