What solid state amp impressed you?

Lullabies

Big fan of Roland stuff.. I liked the Blues Cube a lot.. the Jazz Chorus is pretty good too. I have a Fender m-80 head that has great cleans.. not too terrible with pedals either.

vbjamin

Roland JC 77, rugged, ecxcellent chourus ,clean pedal platform, lots of headroom and grab n go. Whats not to love?

Brooks

i've got a randall rg8040 that is a good grab n go combo for metal;
its lightweight, has tons of gain, clean/crunch/reverb/solo boost/LOUD.
replaced the stock spkr w/ an emi manowar. i use it for band rehearsals, and on multi band gigs where we have to set up fast.

i also have a powerblock that is a great backup as its so tiny & light.
used it in a rush tribute w/ a vox tonelab st (bypassed the powerblock preamp),
would go back to that rig if i needed some flexibility & FX (actually prefered it to axe fx).

Stev1e

Owned a Fender Eighty Five, and a Deluxe Eighty Five at one stage, sold both, and often think about trying to track one down. Very cool amps, red knob types from about 1986/87.

mtm105

Marshall Lead 12 Head (My Heads in Mississippi)

Made in GB. Everything after this doesn't compare.

Also the latest/greatest is VOX Pathfinder. (But my ears start to cry after so many minutes of playing.)

ducker 1

Fav Power amp of all time is a TubeWorks MV962
its in and out of the rack but it always comes back. Turn em to 8 and let er rip

Jonny D

I had a Fender Stage Lead from the Rivera era for a long while and it was VERY good on the clean side.

playon

Silver Supporting Member
The one that impressed me the most was a vintage Standel. About the size of a Tweed Deluxe, it really sounded sweet.

3dognate

Silver Supporting Member
My band kept a Peavey Bandit 112 in the band trailer for a backup for several years... only had to use it on few occasions. But when I or our other guitarist used it... it was always rather impressive... plenty of power on tap, clean crunch or even rather high gain sounded excellent in the mix... the foot switch compliment of channel/reverb/boost is perfect. I always thought it sounded better than my other guitarist's usual rig... (Valve King 2x12 + GT-10) and when I used it... it had the core features and tones I needed to get through a night of cover songs... I could do one of these amps with a simple pedalboard no problem-o.

3dognate

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Fender Stage Lead from the Rivera era for a long while and it was VERY good on the clean side.

Omg... The circa '85 Fender Stage Lead 212 is amongst the worst amps I've ever owned... I hate that amp it does nothing well... I tolerated it for years as a young musician... No where near enough headroom for any gigging and the lead channel was so anemic and it was heavy as hell. I have ZERO love for this amp... And much hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

pieroh

for sure stompamp brown (that is the only they make, I believe). I have bought one last year and it's lovely. Not just for its size. I would love it even if it was a 20kg full size head! I was thinking to add another one to my setup to switch from one to the other by their ab box.

oldtimer

I have a '72 Kustom Hustler (4x10's) that is SS and sounds VERY "tubey" if that's a word. Great tone. I also used LabSeries L5 (2x12's) on stage for years. Loved it. And I picked up a LabSeries L7 (4x10's) that sounds great but never got the chance to put it on stage. These are all great sounding amps and very "workable" in my opinion.

Trending Topics