What solid state amps are you guys using these days?

Alejandro

My choices

Boss Katana MKII 100 W
Vox Pathfinder 15w modded with a Celestion Greenbank 10"
Peavey Envoy 110 Transtube 40w with a Celestion Greenbank 10"

iluvfender

I Go Back So Far I’m In Front Of Me
Silver Supporting Member
Just picked this up at a random garage sale stop for $20. I guess it has been sitting for over 20 years and they just wanted to get rid of it. It was very dirty/dusty. I put a new Accutronics reverb tank and a WGS speaker I had laying around in it. Great practice amp that I don’t have to worry about, sounds pretty darn good
4038C86B-E86B-4B9C-9BE3-5787E1075A71.jpeg
D2AC833D-6EC0-412B-B2B5-4BDDB6C45E01.jpeg
491C7E47-0F62-4BF7-886B-21CC7FF121C9.jpeg

Good Grief

Just picked this up at a random garage sale stop for $20. I guess it has been sitting for over 20 years and they just wanted to get rid of it. It was very dirty/dusty. I put a new Accutronics reverb tank and a WGS speaker I had laying around in it. Great practice amp that I don’t have to worry about, sounds pretty darn good View attachment 573222 View attachment 573223 View attachment 573224

Speaker swap helps a lot. I always felt the stock speaker in those was very "shouty".

Bluedano1

I do small combo/trio R&R/blues/ old Country brewpub/Cafe/ Winery gigs.

The Frontman 25R ( with Emi 1058 speaker) and Vox Pathfinder 15R are portable and perfect! ( usually goosed with an OD pedal)

Attachments

• 20201010_200155.jpg
    20201010_200155.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211019_183456.jpg
    20211019_183456.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201010_200050.jpg
    20201010_200050.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 9

DrSax

I like my Katana 50 watt. When I bought it, I was like “man, if they had only put an XLR out with cab sim it’d be perfect.” Still feel this way.

Love the idea of the Tonemasters, but we’re talking $199 vs. whatever those cost….

Good Grief

I like my Katana 50 watt. When I bought it, I was like “man, if they had only put an XLR out with cab sim it’d be perfect.” Still feel this way.

Love the idea of the Tonemasters, but we’re talking $199 vs. whatever those cost….

The L6 Catalyst 60W is $299 new and it’s got an XLR direct out. Just a heads up.

I got my Gallien-Krueger back but it seems it still has some issues to work out with amp tech.

First used SS that’s bit me hard on the purchase. I shoulda probably just picked up a used Orange Crush CR120 but I took a gamble. This one may not be salvageable. We’ll see. Tech has offered to try and repair again at no charge. Seller has agreed to reimburse half repair costs if shipping insurance doesn’t pay out full.

No more old SS amps for me. I’ve been lucky on so many, I should have figured one was bound to come up and be a problem.

My Sweetwater rep is going to drop me a note as soon as the Super Crush amps in black tolex are on the way.

Think I’m done after that. I have enough SS that sounds great to me to last me the rest of my life.

Echo Are

Roland Micro Cube GX (desk top practice amp). For open jams it's either a ZT Lunchbox Reverb or Quilter Aviator 8. I also have a Katana 50. Mostly it's the Quilter lately; it sounds great, and has lots of volume on tap if I need it.

Echo Are

Just picked this up at a random garage sale stop for $20. I guess it has been sitting for over 20 years and they just wanted to get rid of it. It was very dirty/dusty. I put a new Accutronics reverb tank and a WGS speaker I had laying around in it. Great practice amp that I don’t have to worry about, sounds pretty darn good
I used to have one of those amps, back around 2001-2002. I bought it as a grab-and-go for jam nights, when I first started going to jams. I remember it had like a master output volume control (0% to 100%, etc.), and, at the time, I didn't quite understand how that knob worked, so I ended up selling the amp in consignment and getting another amp. Looking back, I should've just pegged that knob and be done with it, LOL.

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member
I got my Gallien-Krueger back but it seems it still has some issues to work out with amp tech.

First used SS that’s bit me hard on the purchase. I shoulda probably just picked up a used Orange Crush CR120 but I took a gamble. This one may not be salvageable. We’ll see. Tech has offered to try and repair again at no charge. Seller has agreed to reimburse half repair costs if shipping insurance doesn’t pay out full.

No more old SS amps for me. I’ve been lucky on so many, I should have figured one was bound to come up and be a problem.

My Sweetwater rep is going to drop me a note as soon as the Super Crush amps in black tolex are on the way.

Think I’m done after that. I have enough SS that sounds great to me to last me the rest of my life.
Have you heard a recent ETA for the black SuperCrush?

Around the house i tend to use tech 21 trademark 30 amp a a lot. I have a tradmark 60 but to me tonewise the trademark 30 is worlds better. I love and all the mini switches which were very well done on the amp giving me very useful simple versatility for playing around and direct recording.

If i were to design updated version of that trademark 30 based on what i like on it. I'd make version that's
1) Way more wattage. Perhaps a head version too.
2) Two independent channels footswitchable separate eq, sepaarte full set up of three mini sliders including cab sim.
3) Have a TRS input on the foorwitch that an expression pedal (like boss ev5) can be plugged in to control overall volume of amp (similar to boss katana).
4) Instead of the amp selection of Calif have Liverpool or just add 4th selection.

Last edited:
Have you heard a recent ETA for the black SuperCrush?
No ETA on those yet. I’m signed up for email notifications and my Sweetwater rep will email projected date too.

There has occasionally been a new black tolex Super Crush come up on Reverb, but most of the sellers are just pre-order right now

Trending Topics

Top Bottom