What solid state amps are you guys using these days?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Bummer about the DI out not allowing silent recording, as I was planning to try recording with it in the next few days and I was keen to compare it with the Ampman in that respect.
You should be able to get all your preamp signal out of the fx send jack which normally shuts off the signal to the power section, or use a dummy plug into the return if the cutoff is there.
OR you should be able to disconnect the speakers and use the DI if the DI is actually run from the speaker output.
SS amps do nor need a speaker load, USUALLY. Orange should be able to advise you on these options.

sturge

Based on the recommendations in this thread and after a few weeks of watching various demos I pulled the trigger on a Quilter Aviator head. Should be here today. I'm looking forward to giving this a go. I've had a few SS amps early on and they all sucked but that was like 30 years ago. So here's hoping...

Been giggin an Aviator head w/2X12 vertical cab for a few years. Head weighs 9 lbs, T/M/B tone controls, hi-cut filter, gain stage, effects loop, reverb, DI and sounds great. I use just like a tube amp...set at edge of clean then use attack or ride vol for clean/dirty. Hit it with OD/Dist pedal for leads & heavier tones. I'm using Strat/Tele - cuts through 6 piece rock cover band with ease. Tube amps stay home now!

LordByron

The Dude abides!
I've got some really great Solid State amps, including a Katana Head MkII, a Katana 50 MkII, a Yamaha THR 30 II, a Quilter Aviator Cub US, and a Fender ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb.

But the winner? The Katana Artist MkII I just picked up recently. I really, unapologetically love the Crunch channel of the Katana amps and paired with the Waza Greenback speaker and next-level EQ and voicing options, it makes the Artist Mk II the undisputed ruler of the Katana line and the favorite of my current SS amps.

Last edited:

Frank C

Fender tonemaster twin is the backline amp at Tavern on Lagrange. Almost everybody that uses it doesn't realize it's a modeling amp until I point out the Tonemaster tag on bottom right and ask them to pick it up ( 33lbs ). Don't buy until you at least try one.

I'm asking because solid state has come a loooong way in the last decade or so, and almost all my amps are tube-driven. I realized the other day when I was testing a new pedal I'm developing that I only have one solid state amp I can test things on: a Yamaha THR-10 MkII. Now, it's a great sounding amp, but I'm thinking I should have another SS option that I can hook up to bigger cab just for the variety.

I usually prefer heads (to save space) and I already have a cab I really like. But I'm open to suggestions on whatever.

I'm thinking a Quilter, or maybe Boss Katana, or even an Orange Pedal Baby. What do you guys think? Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Thanks

The Katana is the best guitar- related purchase I've ever made. Gigged it, practiced with it, had tons of flexibility and FX.

Can't fault it. But does it sound as good as valves? No.

Arf

I'm asking because solid state has come a loooong way in the last decade or so, and almost all my amps are tube-driven. I realized the other day when I was testing a new pedal I'm developing that I only have one solid state amp I can test things on: a Yamaha THR-10 MkII. Now, it's a great sounding amp, but I'm thinking I should have another SS option that I can hook up to bigger cab just for the variety.

I usually prefer heads (to save space) and I already have a cab I really like. But I'm open to suggestions on whatever.

I'm thinking a Quilter, or maybe Boss Katana, or even an Orange Pedal Baby. What do you guys think? Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Thanks
I have the Quilter Aviator Club 50 and I love it. After 11 years lugging a 76lb. AC30C2 around this in a breath of fresh air at 21 lbs. Great sounding all analog SS with digital verb that sounds perfectly Fender. PLENTY loud, sounds 3X as big as it looks. Now they just came out with a "British" version.

Apollwn

Vox AV30. Perfect for the smal (really small) room that I use as my studio/office these days. A versatile little amp with more than decent sound quality, yet light and portable. Can be quiet enough not to annoy anybody, but can also get really loud if cranked up.

Orange Super Crush 100. Absolutely incredible; two channels with a buffered loop and reverb for about $500. I got the head after seeing Ty Tabor’s demo, and it smokes (they offer a combo version as well for about $700). If it’s good enough for Ty, it’s good enough for me…honestly, it’s got the best cost/benefit ratio of any amp I’ve ever seen, valve or SS.

Duneland Labs

Thanks
Quilters!! Henriksens!! (I THINK they do heads... all mine are combos.)

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom