• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What Songs to teach to female students?

SteveStevens

Not to get to into the nature/nurture thing, but I am getting more girls as students and I am finding it much easier to get the boys to grock over a great classic rock riff than the girls. It seems the girls want guitar lessons, but don't really seem interested in music. (To be fair, lots of young kids don't seem to listen to any music anymore.) It just seems the boys are more open to any suggestions. The girls are more "meh" about it. I am sure there is newer stuff out there of just stuff I've blanked out on. What music do girl guitarists want to listen to and potentially learn?

I do find that the girls are more focused on things like reading and theory than the boys. I just want them to be excited about some music! Playlists please!

Steve

dk123123dk

Why don't you ask them what they like?

Hannah Montana, Pink, Jewel, Joni Mitchell, Heart, Tracy Chapman, Sheryl Crowe, Ani DiFranco, Melisa Etheridge, Emmylou Harris, Joan Jett, Courtney Love, Sinead O'Connor, Dolly Parton, Bonnie Raitt, KT Tungstall, Susan Tedeschi.

Find out what kind of music they enjoy and teach em that.

dk

cameron

Why don't you ask them what they like?

Hannah Montana, Pink, Jewel, Joni Mitchell, Heart, Tracy Chapman, Sheryl Crowe, Ani DiFranco, Melisa Etheridge, Emmylou Harris, Joan Jett, Courtney Love, Sinead O'Connor, Dolly Parton, Bonnie Raitt, KT Tungstall, Susan Tedeschi.
That's really the only answer. And don't necessarily expect them to cite female artists. Don't be surprised if they ask you to teach them Joy Division or Smiths songs.

Clifford-D

Not only ask them but empower them with choice in all aspects of their lessons.

Male or female.

I never felt it was my job to set direction for the student.

Ask them what brought them to take some lessons. Then react to that.

Litsa

I am girl guitarist and LOVE Jimi Hendrix, SRV and BLUES!!! Plus anything that is cool!!!

The best thing to do is ASK!!! If this gal is taking guitar lessons she must be interested in guitar and music that jam or why else would she be taking lessons.

That is UNLESS her Parents are making her take them....

Litsa

I've been teaching the young girls Taylor Swift, Jonas Brothers, Colbie Callait, stuff like that. But some are into GnR....you never know.

If they don't have their own taste, I nudge them to discover things, but I do put it in their hands....otherwise it's just the dreaded M E T H O D B O O K. LOL

SteveStevens

I've been teaching the young girls Taylor Swift, Jonas Brothers, Colbie Callait, stuff like that. But some are into GnR....you never know.

If they don't have their own taste, I nudge them to discover things, but I do put it in their hands....otherwise it's just the dreaded M E T H O D B O O K. LOL
That's pretty much the answer I'm looking for. These are girls under 12 who seem to want guitar lessons, but don't listen to music. Asking them what they like has invited repeated blank stares. Young kids seem to really hate the pop music being shoveled at them. I feel so sorry for kids these days. So many of them are like little nihlists.:huh Thanks for all input. There's always Mel Bay...

Steve

If the kid has no idea about what to learn, just prepare them in a general way (reading, scales, technique, chords, basic ear training, etc). Many are happy to work through the method for a while. At certain point they discover music. I have a boy like that now, he started with me at around 8 and did nothing but method for over a year, gradually getting into AC/DC riffs, now he's 11 and playing "Toys in the Attic." I don't think he's learned anything recorded during his lifetime LOL.

I make recommendations, but I'm happier when the kids come in with their own thing. I might suggest something based on what they like. One girl was learning some new band that reminded me of Veruca Salt, so I suggested she check them out.

The worst thing is to disparage what they are into, other than that, maybe play recordings of what other students are learning.

russ6100

Gold Supporting Member
...These are girls under 12 who seem to want guitar lessons, but don't listen to music. Asking them what they like has invited repeated blank stares. Young kids seem to really hate the pop music being shoveled at them. I feel so sorry for kids these days. So many of them are like little nihlists.:huh Thanks for all input. There's always Mel Bay...

Steve
That's just sad on so many levels. I guess the guitar for them is just another "accessory" to accent their "lifestyle"...sort of a prop....

SteveStevens

If the kid has no idea about what to learn, just prepare them in a general way (reading, scales, technique, chords, basic ear training, etc). Many are happy to work through the method for a while. At certain point they discover music. I have a boy like that now, he started with me at around 8 and did nothing but method for over a year, gradually getting into AC/DC riffs, now he's 11 and playing "Toys in the Attic." I don't think he's learned anything recorded during his lifetime LOL.

I make recommendations, but I'm happier when the kids come in with their own thing. I might suggest something based on what they like. One girl was learning some new band that reminded me of Veruca Salt, so I suggested she check them out.

The worst thing is to disparage what they are into, other than that, maybe play recordings of what other students are learning.

Again, great stuff. Thanks. I actually find I do a lot of ear training by default. Kids seem to really like being tested. I guess I was just fishing around for some music that kids are into these days that was maybe way under my radar...

Try to get them to write their own songs.

That's how my bandmate taught herself guitar. She had songs in her head but not always a guitar player available at her beck and call, so she got her own and learned how to play guitar by figuring out how to play her own songs.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I am a huge proponent of using whatever music they like, since music appriecation is not gender based. However, I had a female jazz student for a couple of years whom I introduced to Mimi Fox and Emily Remler. She seemed to relish the fact that a couple of females were viewed as among the top players.

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
That's really the only answer. And don't necessarily expect them to cite female artists. Don't be surprised if they ask you to teach them Joy Division or Smiths songs.
Or Metallica and Blind Guardian. My little sister's favorites!

It's one of the three songs on Preston Reed's instructional DVD. Not surprisingly, most of the Preston Reed covers on Youtube are of those three songs.

This girl got ragged a bit for her fingerpicking but she's further along overall in this very physical style of playing than I am. :JAM I'm learning "Tribes" - the first song - myself. She's way ahead of me on that tune, and adds a nice little intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrkmyEgEUpM&feature=channel_page

The challenges for me are the no-pick strumming (fingers down, thumb up), and coordinating the rhythmic syncopations between the two hands. I play this tune at 1/10 this girl's speed.

Trending Topics