• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What sound / version are brand new Pi/"nyc" Big muffs?

Auxjoel

I noticed this brand new big muff for sale:

It is a black and red Pi / "nyc" style muff. And not a nano size.
what version is this? If it's available brand new from a chain music store then I have to assume it's a current model. So then, not a v9...?
I'm wondering what sound/tone characteristics it would have?
Similar to a v6 or a v9? Or even a Russian one?
Anyone that's played a current mode with this appearance - please advise?
Edit: it also has the cool knobs. Not the crappier looking plain circle ones.

EpiLP1985

Silver Supporting Member
The NYC reissues are a mish mash of characteristics from a few different eras.

Kind of like a late era Ram’s Head with a Triangle Tone Control and elements of the Russian Muff and using Schottky Diodes. At least that’s what I learned from @Kit Rae

Auxjoel

The NYC reissues are a mish mash of characteristics from a few different eras.

Kind of like a late era Ram’s Head with a Triangle Tone Control and elements of the Russian Muff and using Schottky Diodes. At least that’s what I learned from @Kit Rae
Oh ok gotcha. This sounds quite superficial but would it have the knobs with the "points" on them or just the plain round ones (I think the plain round ones look gross ha ha)?
And I'm guessing by what you're saying, this particular muff wouldn't have much in common with the v2/v3 muff sound then?

EpiLP1985

Silver Supporting Member
Oh ok gotcha. This sounds quite superficial but would it have the knobs with the "points" on them or just the plain round ones (I think the plain round ones look gross ha ha)?
And I'm guessing by what you're saying, this particular muff wouldn't have much in common with the v2/v3 muff sound then?
Many of the Non-Russian Muffs have a similar core tone.

Do you have a specific iteration you are targeting?

Auxjoel

Many of the Non-Russian Muffs have a similar core tone.

Do you have a specific iteration you are targeting?
I guess apart from the opamp v4/5 ones (I had a 79 v5 which was awesome and I somehow stupidly sold it. Trying to rebut it now would cost a lot more!! Urghhh), I'd be happy with anything v2/v3/v6 sounding and I do like that black /red on silver look and logo. But my main aim is a decent amount of sustain and something that's undeniably "old school muffy" but not to the point that you can't hear it in a band mix.

EpiLP1985

Silver Supporting Member
I guess apart from the opamp v4/5 ones (I had a 79 v5 which was awesome and I somehow stupidly sold it. Trying to rebut it now would cost a lot more!! Urghhh), I'd be happy with anything v2/v3/v6 sounding and I do like that black /red on silver look and logo. But my main aim is a decent amount of sustain and something that's undeniably "old school muffy" but not to the point that you can't hear it in a band mix.
The current crop of Vintage voiced EHX Big Muffs are great. Sounds like you’d dig the Ram’s Head version.

Another option is to build one. I used the schematic for the 73 #3 Ram’s Head from Kit Rae’s page and modified the high pass capacitor to be switchable from Scooped to Flat to Boosted Mids. That covers a ton of grounds and makes it compatible with a bunch of different amps and guitars.

AB75C670-17AA-4350-BB06-DAA580A4B25D.jpeg

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
Nah...it's the big box round knob models that have been out for about 20 years now; those Dakaware "pointers" were only like a one or two year thing around 1999 or 2000. EHX has been all "round" ever since. That particular picture often gets used incorrectly and I have no clue why...go to Musicians Friend and you'll see the same picture.

Auxjoel

Nah...it's the big box round knob models that have been out for about 20 years now; those Dakaware "pointers" were only like a one or two year thing around 1999 or 2000. EHX has been all "round" ever since. That particular picture often gets used incorrectly and I have no clue why...go to Musicians Friend and you'll see the same picture.
oh ok cheers. I had a nano EHX bad stone pedal with the round knobs and for whatever reason they felt really cheap to me and also like if you weren't delicate with them, they could easily come off or break. Might just be a mental thing though.

Auxjoel

The current crop of Vintage voiced EHX Big Muffs are great. Sounds like you’d dig the Ram’s Head version.

Another option is to build one. I used the schematic for the 73 #3 Ram’s Head from Kit Rae’s page and modified the high pass capacitor to be switchable from Scooped to Flat to Boosted Mids. That covers a ton of grounds and makes it compatible with a bunch of different amps and guitars.

View attachment 440990
y'know I keep threatening to learn how to solder (I currently have no clue). so maybe a diy muff kit might be the perfect place to start practicing.
Do you happen to know if muffs are an easy build for beginners(a.k.a. a total idiot like me) or would there be other more simpler fuzz circuits that might be easier to get the hang of things on?

EpiLP1985

Silver Supporting Member
y'know I keep threatening to learn how to solder (I currently have no clue). so maybe a diy muff kit might be the perfect place to start practicing.
Do you happen to know if muffs are an easy build for beginners(a.k.a. a total idiot like me) or would there be other more simpler fuzz circuits that might be easier to get the hang of things on?
There’s nothing terribly complex about the Muff but it does have a higher parts count than other simpler devices.

I favor the PedalPCB Muffin board.

Maguchi

I noticed this brand new big muff for sale:

It is a black and red Pi / "nyc" style muff. And not a nano size.
what version is this? If it's available brand new from a chain music store then I have to assume it's a current model. So then, not a v9...?
I'm wondering what sound/tone characteristics it would have?
Similar to a v6 or a v9? Or even a Russian one?
Anyone that's played a current mode with this appearance - please advise?
Edit: it also has the cool knobs. Not the crappier looking plain circle ones.
Wow, great post. I love the Big Muffs and there are such a variety of them. I'm glad to see some of it clarified here. Found a good article on the different versions (see below).

I bought an original early '90s Sovtek big box Green Russian (kind of a camouflage army green) for probly around $50 bucks new at a local store and stupidly sold it because it was so big and didn't fit with my other pedals on a pedalboard. Wish I still had it. That thing sounded as massive as the huge metal enclosure it was housed in!

Last edited:

Auxjoel

Wow, great post. I love the Big Muffs and there are such a variety of them. I'm glad to see some of it clarified here. Found a good article on the different versions (see below).

I bought an original early '90s Sovtek big box Green Russian (kind of a camouflage army green) for probly around $50 bucks new at a local store and stupidly sold it because it was so big and didn't fit with my other pedals on a pedalboard. Wish I still had it. That thing sounded as massive as the huge metal enclosure it was housed in!

yeah it's funny I now have a Mojo Hand FX "1979" which is awesome and certainly covers my "opamp v4/v5 muff" needs. BUT..... I gotta say the original 79 EHX v5 Muff still sounded better. Not that you'd notice if you watched me playing live, but certainly enough that I felt 10% more motivated to write some awesome riffs on the original one! ha ha.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
I really like my NYC. Ive had at least a hundred big muffs.

Save yourself a ton of hassle.
My recording board has a bunch of drives…Klon, KOC, Rat, EQ/Boost in front of the NYC.
Any of these drives set to very low gain and unity volume supplies you with a bumuch of different big muff versions with more control than any of them give you.

The NYC has a wide range of useful gain settings.

Maguchi

yeah it's funny I now have a Mojo Hand FX "1979" which is awesome and certainly covers my "opamp v4/v5 muff" needs. BUT..... I gotta say the original 79 EHX v5 Muff still sounded better. Not that you'd notice if you watched me playing live, but certainly enough that I felt 10% more motivated to write some awesome riffs on the original one! ha ha.
Yeah, that's something that sometimes gets overlooked. If a guitar, effect or amp sounds just a little better, even just 5%, that little extra can and often will motivate us to play longer discover some new riffs and inspire creativity.

Auxjoel

I really like my NYC. Ive had at least a hundred big muffs.

Save yourself a ton of hassle.
My recording board has a bunch of drives…Klon, KOC, Rat, EQ/Boost in front of the NYC.
Any of these drives set to very low gain and unity volume supplies you with a bumuch of different big muff versions with more control than any of them give you.

The NYC has a wide range of useful gain settings.
oh now that is interesting advice. I certainly do like to adjust all my fuzzes with some type of OD. So I like the concept.
When you say "NYC" - do you mean the currently available /new NYC muff or a particular version from past?

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
oh now that is interesting advice. I certainly do like to adjust all my fuzzes with some type of OD. So I like the concept.
When you say "NYC" - do you mean the currently available /new NYC muff or a particular version from past?
I think mine is early 2000.
They are available cheap.
And it is shocking how well the OD before Muff works.
Just keep OD very low. The low cut/mid boost pre-Muff is the ticket.
Still sounds like a big muff

Auxjoel

I think mine is early 2000.
They are available cheap.
And it is shocking how well the OD before Muff works.
Just keep OD very low. The low cut/mid boost pre-Muff is the ticket.
Still sounds like a big muff
man it just freaked me out when I realised that the year 2000 was over 20years ago. geeeeeez I'm getting old.

Top Bottom