• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What sound / version are brand new Pi/"nyc" Big muffs?

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
I think mine is early 2000.
They are available cheap.
And it is shocking how well the OD before Muff works.
Just keep OD very low. The low cut/mid boost pre-Muff is the ticket.
Still sounds like a big muff
Great Muff for sure, but the rest of the guitar playing crowd has definitely caught on and they are getting more expensive. Fran from Frantone designed the early 2000-2001 NYC Big Muffs. I’ve had a few, great muffs for sure. If you’re on the lookout for one, look for the 3003(buffered) or 3003-a(true bypass) ones.

J-Flanders

If you’re on the lookout for one, look for the 3003(buffered) or 3003-a(true bypass) ones.
3003-A is true bypass, as are revisions B, C, D, E of the NYC version (2000 to 2021)
3003 is not buffered. It's simply not true bypass. It only switches the output. The input is always connected, loading down your guitar pickup, 'sucking tone'.
You'll mostly notice this when your guitar is going straight into the Big Muff.

How to tell the NYC V9 revision from the outside:
If it comes with a wooden box it's a 3003 or 3003-A.

If it doesn't come with a box or a cardboard box you can look at the knobs or the switch:

Davies/Daka-Ware knobs: Mostly 3003 but some 3003-A have them:

Hockey puck knobs? Look at the switch.
Knurled screw is most probably 3003 and is not true bypass.

Regular screw is 3003-A and is true bypass.

On the 3003 and 3003-A the black print on the lower half of the pedal is 'circled out' around the switch and screw. (see images above)
On later revisions (B, C, D, E...?) the black is not 'circled out':

Auxjoel

Great Muff for sure, but the rest of the guitar playing crowd has definitely caught on and they are getting more expensive. Fran from Frantone designed the early 2000-2001 NYC Big Muffs. I’ve had a few, great muffs for sure. If you’re on the lookout for one, look for the 3003(buffered) or 3003-a(true bypass) ones.
Are the 3003-b and 3003-c different in sound to the -a one? Seems to be a lot of Cs around but not 3003 or 3003-a's

Auxjoel

3003-A is true bypass, as are revisions B, C, D, E of the NYC version (2000 to 2021)
3003 is not buffered. It's simply not true bypass. It only switches the output. The input is always connected, loading down your guitar pickup, 'sucking tone'.
You'll mostly notice this when your guitar is going straight into the Big Muff.

How to tell the NYC V9 revision from the outside:
If it comes with a wooden box it's a 3003 or 3003-A.

If it doesn't come with a box or a cardboard box you can look at the knobs or the switch:

Davies/Daka-Ware knobs: Mostly 3003 but some 3003-A have them:

Hockey puck knobs? Look at the switch.
Knurled screw is most probably 3003 and is not true bypass.

Regular screw is 3003-A and is true bypass.

On the 3003 and 3003-A the black print on the lower half of the pedal is 'circled out' around the switch and screw. (see images above)
On later revisions (B, C, D, E...?) the black is not 'circled out':
Oh wow thanks for al this!
So if it's hockey puck knobs, regular screw and paint all Way to the screw... then it's 100% not a 3003 or a 3003a?
I found this one online and couldn't see any revision details on the board (attached)
AEF02225-668A-4C89-94B0-39E69E39D979.png

J-Flanders

So if it's hockey puck knobs, regular screw and paint all Way to the screw... then it's 100% not a 3003 or a 3003a?
I found this one online and couldn't see any revision details on the board (attached)
With EHX there's no such thing as 100%. :)
But yeah, highly probable.
The one in your picture is defintely not a rev C or later. They have a ribbon cable going to the switch.
I don't know what the rev B's look like.
If I were to guess, I'd say it's a 3003 rev A.

Last edited:

openbar

Silver Supporting Member
@Auxjoel mine is exactly the same, no paint circle, but a 3003-A circuit board. There seems to be no way to date it, the pots are so cheap that they don't have date codes.

BTW I also have the recent Ram's Head reissue, they sound VERY similar. The big box I like slightly more, but that could easily be explained by the cool big box.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
My modded Rev C (blend knob) needs a buffer AFTER it.
Or I should say I prefer it that way.
I think it is probably because of the mod but haven’t compared it to another to see

Auxjoel

Pointer knobs?
No, the one I bought has hockey pucks unfortunately ha ha.
but I do want to buy some dakaware knobs to put on it as they make me feel 40% more excited to play it (my old 79 v5 that I sold had Dakawares).
Does anyone know who sells dakawares that fit the early 2000s NYC muffs? (From what I was reading, the ones that fit v5,v6, don't fit the v9s?)

Last edited:

J-Flanders

No hockey pucks unfortunately ha ha.
but I do want to buy some dakaware knobs to put on it as they make me feel 40% more excited to play it (my old 79 v5 that I sold had Dakawares).
Does anyone know who sells dakawares that fit the early 2000s NYC muffs? (From what I was reading, the ones that fit v5,v6, don't fit the v9s?)
These will fit: http://www.banzaimusic.com/Black-Knurled-Pointer.html
together with these: http://www.banzaimusic.com/Axis-Adaptor-6-0-to-6-3mm.html

It's what I use on EHX pedals with hockey puck knobs that have lost their white indicator line.

Banzaimusic.com is in Germany but you should be able to find both in AU or from other international sellers on reverb.com

I never held the pointer knobs of an ec-3003 but I do have some older EHX pedals that have them.
The original pointer knobs feel heavy and solid and bakelite-like whereas the ones in the link feel more lightweight and plasticky. Still good quality though and they look the same.

Last edited:

Auxjoel

These will fit: http://www.banzaimusic.com/Black-Knurled-Pointer.html
together with these: http://www.banzaimusic.com/Axis-Adaptor-6-0-to-6-3mm.html

It's what I use on EHX pedals with hockey puck knobs that have lost their white indicator line.

Banzaimusic.com is in Germany but you should be able to find both in AU or from other international sellers on reverb.com

I never held the pointer knobs of an ec-3003 but I do have some older EHX pedals that have them.
The original pointer knobs feel heavy and solid and bakelite-like whereas the ones in the link feel more lightweight and plasticky. Still good quality though and they look the same.
Oh ok cool. So it's the adapter that makes it connect correctly to 3003-a era big muffs?

Last edited:

Top Bottom