What sounds like a Maxon OD-808 but is more reliable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Geetar_Will, Oct 8, 2012.

1. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I sell Maxons and I love them. I also sell Ibanez and I love them. Anyone can fix an OD9 or Ibanez pedal as they use normal type pots and jacks, but they rarely break. Why would I trash talk? I am trying to help people, as always, even though I could make a lot of money selling OD808s. TS-10 is very poorly built and when the pots break nobody can replace them. They don't break due to mods, but due to fragile construction. I did edit my website to not be so negative as I don't like negativity.

please go look on another grassy knoll, vanguard.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. MollyPolly

MollyPolly Senior Member

it does need to be modded.

it needs to be modded because it can be modded.

c'mon now, mate...didn't you get the memo?

incidentally...and with all due respect to Analog Mike, because I think he does fine work...I've bee playing for many, many years and have been through my share of stomp boxes over the years, and the only thing that ever failed was the switch on an original Ibanez CS-9 chorus.

3. b3john

b3john Member

:agree

4. americananalog

americananalog Member

Never had any problems with mine, even after I modded it (replaced the JRC with a Burr Brown). And yes, it IS a pain in the ass to work on and reassemble.

5. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

I respect Analog Mike for joining the thread and clarifying his position. I think the Maxon 808 is a cool pedal and had one for a while, but I think the Maxon VOP-9 is the cat's behind so to speak!!

6. vanguard

vanguard Member

do you mean the VOP-9? i'm curious about that pedal. . .how does it sound different from the OD808 (part. at 9v)? also, could you check out the board to see if it has the orange diodes with a single white stripe?

7. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

This is why I love these forums.
    Couple of things...

- It is the closest thing I've heard to the real deal (to my ear)
    - I emailed Analog Mike first - he was very helpful as usual and I dig his pedals
    - The switch is giving me an issue now and then but I'm having it replaced (only issue I've had)
    - I don't plan on modding it besides the switch - sounds excellent stock
    - I bought it used and the price was right
    - Snark/animosity was not the intention here - as usual just trying to get info

Thanks for the info guys!

8. Geetar_Will

This vid explains quite a bit in the maxon TS world....

9. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

I have both the Maxon OD 808 and the XOTIC Ac booster.
    To my ears they are very simlar. The AC has more control but they can be dialed to sound pretty much identical

10. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

oops yes, the VOP-9, it sounds very different than the 808, mmmm tough to explain what it sounds like, its pretty open, not a big mid hump to it like other TS's, very very dynamic like the SHOD, lots of gain on tap, its just a great OD.

will check the diods tonight

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Aren't there one gazzilion quality Tube Screamer pedals on the boutique market?

;)

12. Geetar_Will

One gazzilion and 1 actually.:banana

13. blackba

blackba Member

I bought my Maxon Od-808 around 2000 and its been very reliable. I also own a Maxon OD-9 and they do sound different.

Saying that the OD-808 is hard to work on is different than it being unreliable. They don't always go hand in hand. Take a car, it may be hard to work on and piss off your mechanic, but if it never breaks down, than why does the owner care how hard it is to work on.

14. TylerSavage

TylerSavage Member

I have many overdrives/distortion (Keeley RAT, Fuchs Cream, Boss BD2, modded SD-1, .. uhhh, some other things I'm sure) and still to this day my MAxon OD808 is my favorite. it works with my setup. It has a bass/low end cut, but my setup already has tons of low end so I like that. Sound is dirty but very smooth. Our other guitar player uses a modded TS9 and the contrast works well.

that said.

I have had to repair it over 10+ times. I'm hard on my stuff sure, but I also don't just play in my bedroom.. The old-TS9 style box (and the Maxon OD9 box) has much, MUCH better construction. our other guitar player hasn't had a single problem with his pedal.

I don't have any other single pedal that has caused me so much grief. The power jack has lifted from the board 3-4 times, and the pots have separated wipers from base over and over and over.

However.

I'll still keep using it. I like it that much. Emails to Maxon basically said "it's not poorly constructed, it's up to standard, you're just too hard on your stuff... but we'll send you replacement parts"

Didn't know what I was hoping for - was a bit cheesed but probably for 95% of people it's fine. If you play around people who like to jump on stage and/or spill beer, good luck.

15. blackba

blackba Member

^ Wow, amazed that you have had some many issues with the OD-808 and I am surprised you haven't given up on it and just bought a new one.

Its not like the 9 series pedals are perfect either, the one big flaw in general with the Ibanez of Maxon nine series pedals is the footswitch. Maybe they are better on the Maxons, but the footswitch on my 80's Ibanez CS-9 and SD-9 were not that reliable, generally contact cleaner worked for a while.

16. ungarn

ungarn Member

Killswitch Engage beats the hell out of Maxon OD808 pedals on world tours...

17. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I got a used OD-808 for $80. It's was well gigged... I stomped on it even more and it's yet to fail.

Did I mention it sounds great?

18. Master Flash

Master Flash Member

A Maxon OD-808 with Analogman's KWS mod

19. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I've had a Maxon OD808 for going on 10 years and have had not one problem with it. Not one. For me, that's plenty reliable.