What sounds like a tonebone classic?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lolaviola, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

For straight up distortion, recommend a pedal that sounds great, not too pricey, and simple i.e. no boost, just on/off.

The Tone bone gets good reviews, but there must be a more economical alternative...

2. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

What about a Tonebone? :p

A Tonebone Classic is pretty much it's own thing. If you want a cheaper solid state alternative -- that sounds very similar -- I'm not sure there is one. Robert Keeley might have what you're looking for, but you won't be saving yourself any money.

You can find used Tonebones as cheap as $125 -- sometimes a bit more. Check the emporium. ;)

And, no, mine isn't for sale. :nono :D

3. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

nothing gets a dark distortion as the tone bone
    The Stage Hog can get very very close to the darkest settings, but the tonebone's drive is a little boss ds-1 like, IMO, so the StageHog is out on that one. Maybe an Emma Reeza/??? Never tried one, but/...

4. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Nady makes what some people say is the "original" TB circuit. I can't verify that, never played one. MF has 'em for $125 or so. Still, I'd just buy a used TB Classic. I love mine and it contiually bumps just about every boutique distortion pedal I've owned off the board.

5. Tprince

Tprince Member

I agree, my Tonebone and treble booster combo can make just about any necessary OD/distortion sound. I've just started experimenting with the low gain settings, and they're also very responsive. And, the test of a great drive pedal, it cleans up when you roll back the guitar volume - so just get it and spare yourself the frustration and waste of money you'd have with a clone.

6. POD Buster

POD Buster Member

I wish they (Radial) could have designed their ToneBones to use 18VDC instead of 15VDC so I could use my DC power brick. Wall warts suck! :BITCH

7. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

+1. turned me off from getting one despite awesome tone. :(

8. gulliver

gulliver Member

Anyone try one of these along side an H&K Tubefactor? The Tubefactor has such an explosive attack, I was wondering if the Tonebone has that going for it.

9. RickB

RickB Member

Only $10 cheaper but I would not rule out looking at the new 6 knob MI Audio Tube Zone. Not a real tube in it but sounds like it. It can do the lower gain sounds very well and has the most gain on tap that you would ever need. Also, it is far more versatile with the 6 knobs. Especially since the mids is a knob and not a switch.