What Speaker Am I Looking For?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rumble5, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Just picked up a Tiny Terror combo with an Orange Voice of the World speaker in it which I've read is based on a V30. The speaker is a little harsh and bright, and I'd like more bass response. I realize that with the small cab it will never be really resonant like a 2x12 or 4x12, but I'd like a little more thump.

The speaker I'm looking for needs to be around 100db because I want to make sure the amp can still stand up to drums and compete with more powerful guitar amps at jams.

I'd like a woodier sound like a Greenback to take away some of the harshness, but it needs to have better bass response than a Greenback. A G12H seems like an obvious option because it's 100db and has good bass response, but I don't know if it has the woodiness I'm looking for and may still produce the harsh frequencies I'm trying to get away from. The G12-65 is an option but it's not 100db (97).

I'm mostly looking for Celestion or a Celestion-type speaker to retain the British flavor of the amp, but would consider an American-style speaker if it was 100db, had good bass, and some woodiness.

Anything out there that sounds like what I'm describing?

2. Rkin1

Rkin1 Supporting Member

Orange has used the G12H30 anniversary in the TT combos in the past.

3. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

pretty poor reviews on the anniversary....

Creamback 65 or 75 ? Actually the G12K-100 is suppose to have great low end but I'm not sure your amp has enough watts

4. soulsurfer

soulsurfer Member

Celestion -
    The Heritage G12H-30 is a great greenback with a bigger bottom. It has all of what you're looking for IMO.

But if that isn't for you in this situation...take a look at --

Classic Lead 80 for a neutral (what goes in comes out) type of speaker. Not a lot of character but compliments most amps well with a big but controlled bottom and clear highs. Most guys like this speaker but end up pairing it with another speaker with more character...so it may not be for you...but take a look anyway.

The Creambacks offer that 'greenback' vibe with extended power ratings. The CB-65 is closer to a GB (IMO) with a bigger but more controlled bottom end than the GB. The highs are bright but smooth. Jangles when clean and has the typical GB pushed mids that crunch wonderfully and cut thru' well in a mix.
    The CB-75 has the same character of mids but the mid-hump seems less pronounced with its extended lows and highs that seem to stay more clear, tight and controlled.
    You can tell it is in the GB family, but can just as easily be compared to other speakers too. With its extended highs, it isn't as warm sounding as other GB types.

IMO, the G12-65 is one of my favorite speakers. Don't let the lower db rating sway you from this gem. any volume difference is minimal and they pair well with other speakers (both in the same cab and with someone else's on stage)
    It is a lot like the above spkrs with a much smoother less pronounced high end. Great clean tone. The sparkle is still there in spite of the high end smoothness. Everything about this speaker is Rawk-n-roll! If you get the opportunity, give a listen.

5. lemonman

lemonman Supporting Member

If you want big bass and 100db efficiency I'd recommend you short list the G12H-75 Creamback; smoother and darker than the G12H30, but still fairly crisp on top. Or look at a Scumback heavy magnet with a large dustcap, H75-LD, if you want more rolled off highs.

6. harry65

harry65 Member

The eminence GB128 is exactly what you're asking for , and will not kill your wallet , my all time fave speaker:aok

7. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Scumback!

Russ

8. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Thanks for the input. There are a few speakers listed that I hadn't considered. I think a 55hz G-12h is near the top of my list, but they're expensive and I'm cheap. I'll keep my eye out for several of the speakers suggested.

9. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Actually you may wish to instead try a different Celestion V30, may make a "World" of difference!

10. guitarsngear

guitarsngear Member

+1 on the Eminence Legend GB12 or you may like the Swamp Thang - American voiced but has the characteristics you have said you are looking for.

11. batfish

batfish Member

deleted - my response was irrelevant as I didn't read the OP close enough - sorry.