What speaker did you replace your vintage 30 with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nrvana8775, Jun 22, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I'm running a strat/tele into a rivera knucklehead; it goes without saying that the highs are little heavy :rolleyes:. I swapped out one of my vintage 30s with an eminence legend v12, and have been running that and the v30 in tandem.

The highs are really starting to get to me though, and I'd like to roll them off a little bit. I've messed with the tone knobs quite a bit, and I can't seem to find the right balance between cutting through/shrill.

So, what did you replace your vintage 30 with? I can't even begin to describe the type of music that I play, so I'll just say 'rock' :BEER. I'd like tight/focused bass, rounded highs, and enough mids to cut through (not scooped metal territory though).

2. marty44

marty44 Member

Actually I've used two in different amps.
    The Eminence Legend GB112 and The Governor. Both reduced the V30s annoying ice picks. I found their bottom end fine for my ears.

I still have thought of using Weber's "Beam Buster" for $20.
    If you go to Harmony Central under Weber there are many people that found the Beam Buster an inexpensive solution for their V30s.
    Marty

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Well, tightening up the bass and removing the shrill highs are my two main concerns. The bass farts a little bit when using low e and a strings, and the focus knob on my rivera can't really seem to correct that.

I don't want to deviate too much from my base tone, I'd just like to refine these tonal issues.

I utilize my clean and distortion at the same rate, so I'm not looking for something that is specifically voiced to give 'marshall lead' tones. I enjoy the shimmery cleans that I have now, but they can get ice-picky if I hit the string too aggressively.

4. vettelt11992

vettelt11992 Member

Some say the Veteran 30's are a good replacement for this, i have never tried it but maybe someone here could post their opinion on it...

5. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Other threads were suggesting helltone 60s?

I might try out the veteran 30s. Like I said though, I want something for open cleans and focused distortion.

6. just ken

just ken Member

I found the Eminence Governor and the Mesa Celestion 90 more to my liking. The Governor more closely in the V30 camp, but w/out the grating response that you're describing.

7. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Badcat Cud 11 stock speaker is a V30. I replaced it with an MC90 and then a Greenback, couldn,t be happier.

8. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Greenback?

I don't think that will work for what I'm doing :)

I might end up getting the warehouse veteran 30. I want something similar to the v30, but I'd like I'd like to tame the highs and move away from the fizzled mids.

9. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

Austin Speaker Works 70 hrtz

10. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Can't find any info online :eek:

11. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

These are the speakers to use if you like the basic sound of a V30 but cannot stand the high midrange peak. This is often the frequency which cannot be dialed out in many amps. The Veteren 30 is same basic voice without the spike, I really dig them and it is all I use right now.

13. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

I have a couple WGS Vet 30's and they definitely aren't lacking in the high end dept. I used to use V30s exclusively, but it's been a while and I haven't done a side-by-side, but I don't think the Vets are gonna do much for you if you're trying to tame the sizzle.

14. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

The Celestion Sidewinder is great if you can find one (they were highly recommended by John Phillips). I also like the ceramic EV SRO's.

The two work well together and eliminated some concerns I had with my Knucklehead Reverb. The highs are smooth and the bottom is full and tight.

15. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Scumback M75-HP
    Eminence Private Jack
    Celestion Heritage G12-65

All are great, great speakers and much better than V30's IMO.

16. Guinness Lad

Be honest, you just prefer GB speakers. It's all application, if you want high volume and clarity without compression a BG will not deliver it.

17. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I replaced one of the V30's in my 2x12 cab with an Emi GB12 and it's more balanced now and a little smoother.

18. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Really? :eek:

My gear is bright by nature, so I have been looking for speakers that are a little more rounded in the high end department. You're saying the vet 30's don't really live up to the tonal description that the company gives?

19. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Ahh, someone with a similar setup :AOK.

I will be keeping the eminence legend that I have in there, so I would like something that mixes well with that. I bought the legend v12 because it was described as being like a v30, but with the cuts in mid/high. Since the v12 is really similar, I might go for a speaker that is a little more rounded/dark.

I think some of the speakers you guys are suggesting might not work for my application. I play indie/math-rock and I'm not really going after the 'vintage' tones of a jtm45 or bluesbreaker type amps. I prefer the full-bodied/spanky/jazzy cleans and the tight/focused/just enough mids to cut through distortion.

Has anyone tried using hemp cones at all? I might end up going for something a little darker.

20. Guinness Lad

I disagree with the earlier assessment. You will probably find that a majority of the people out there think the Veteren 30 is far smoother then a V30. Go to the Warehouse site, they have clips you can listen to.