1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What speaker goes well with an EVM12L Classic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lgehrig4, Jan 21, 2008.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Port City OS 2x12 on the way and I'm looking for a speaker that would compliment an EVM12L. I will be wiring in parallel for 4ohms and the amp I will mostly use through it is an Emerald Pro. I will also use Marshall inspired amps, but mainly the pro.

I do have a 50 watt Weber Ceramic Blue Dog to try with it, but I would still like to try others.

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. lgehrig4

Come on. Someone must have a suggestion?

3. devbro

devbro Member

...........another EVM12L.....?

4. lgehrig4

Thanks. I could have made that deduction since I already know what it sounds like. I'm looking for a speaker to compliment it. Don't have a particular sound I'm after. Just looking to experiment.

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Mesa pairs a EVM12L with Celestion MC90 and it seems to work pretty well. The MC gives an earlier break up and has that nice celestion crunch while the EV stays cleaner longer.

6. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

I'd like to revive this thread....

What has everyone found that pairs/complements the EVM 12L? I've had good results with a 100 watt Weber Blue Dog (ceramic).

Other recommendations?

7. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I have a vintage MB vertical 2x12 with a EVM12L in the lower ported thiele portion and replaced the MC90 with a Scumback H75-LHDC-8 ohms 100w and though I have not played out with it yet, it sounds like a nice balance in my home studio -- fwiw:)

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

At this point in time, I've settled on an EVM12L with a Fane AXA12, 100W AlNiCo - the best of both worlds, IMHO. I've also tried pairing it with a Jensen Jet Blackbird, 100W AlNiCo, and that sounds pretty good too.

The EVM12L also sounds good paired with its smaller brother, the EVM10M or the Fane AXA10.

9. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Hey Macaroni-

I know you're a big fan of the Fane, but I've never heard one. What does it bring to the table that the EVM12L doesn't? Just curious how it complements it.

How tight is the bottom on the Fane?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Well, it's got that classic AlNiCo compression, 3D woodiness, warmth, fatness, a different flavor of detail and presence. The Fane has a tight bottom end - you can punish it like the EVM12L. It compresses somewhat, depending on the tones, ie": clean or OD.

It's similar to the combination of a Blue + G12H30, or a Gold + G12-65, but with the unique mojos of the EVM12L & Fane AXA12.

11. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I have a Port City OS 2x12 with an EVM 12L and...another EVM 12L wired in series to 16 ohms. I am really digging it. It's a very big, full sound with tons of clarity and headroom without a bit of harshness.

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

BTW, I forgot to mention that I also have a PCW 2-12 and an PCW OS 2-12, which has an extra 10" speaker baffle in it, so it's really a 10+2-12, with an older EVM12L + Fane AXA12 + Fane AXA10. The 2-12 has an EVM12L + Jensen Jet Blackbird.

13. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

+1 on that description.

Ron, you've inspired me to listen to my Fane next to my incoming 12L classic before I move anything. The combo must sound amazing. Are your cabs open or closed back?

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Definitely wait to hear that combo - I love it - after a lot of experimenting. I did love the Gold + G12-65 too, but the EVM12L + Fane AXA12 was more pleasing for my tastes and styles, YMMV.

The Port City Wave cabs are all closed back with full length front ports running along the bottom of the cab. Check them out if you don't know about them.

15. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

+1 for the Jensen Jet Blackbird. That is a killer speaker.

16. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Weber California
    EVM12-S
    EV Force 12
    Eminence Delta Pro
    JBL 120 (E,K,D)

I like speakers that compliment the great EV sound, but throw a slight curve and don't easily break up. Makes it easier to decide which speaker to mic, too.

17. gulliver

gulliver Member

I used an EV exclusively for several years, the only thing that I found that matched well with it was a Celestion Sidewinder. The Sidewinder is an aweful speaker on it's own, way too bright and sizzle without cone breakup made it sound fizzy ... but did sound very good with the EV.

18. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Evidently, great minds think alike...

I've got a PC 2-12 OS with an EVM 12L Classic and a Weber Blue Bog ceramic

19. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

I like Altec 417s with mine.

20. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I've been using 12Ls in combination with Celestion Sidewinders.

They are both cast frame, high wattage, high sensitivity speakers that compliment each other well and produce similar volume levels. They are out of production but turn up fairly regularly on eBay...UPS just delivered four of them to me yesterday.

Matching volume is really important. If there is a significant difference in sensitivity you pretty much won't hear the softer speaker.