What speaker has V30 mids without the V30 spike?

Pongo

Warehouse Veteran 30 fits the bill. You may actually find yourself turning the bottom end down and the treble up. As you'd expect, it lacks the cutting ability of the Vintage 30, but it has a lot of personality. It's really nice with modern heavy sounds, and also works great with vintage hard rock sounds (can reel in some of the more shrill older amps, too).

The V-type is a great working-man's speaker. It'll get you into V30 ballpark without the CLAW, but to me, at least, they don't have much of an "it" factor. In their defense, they do pretty much everything quite well, and aren't going to cost a fortune.

If I had a 2x12 I would love to pair a Vintage 30 and Veteran 30. You get a really full, but complimentary sound, and somehow, even though the Vintage 30 is hitting all the same frequencies, the effect of both is not nearly as fatiguing on the ears.

The V-type is a great working-man's speaker. It'll get you into V30 ballpark without the CLAW, but to me, at least, they don't have much of an "it" factor. In their defense, they do pretty much everything quite well, and aren't going to cost a fortune.

This was my finding too, unfortunately. I had one, briefly, in a Marshall DSL40CR (man, are modern Marshalls not for me), and it just sounded like Adequate Guitar Speaker™. I'm not sure anything could've helped that amp much, but the V-Type struck me as the real-life equivalent of what you'd get by clicking "British" on a generic IR plugin.

Zado

My ears seems broken because I find V30s have a smoother top end than a lot of other speakers. But they do have a nasal, cocked wah mid hump.

To my ears, Mesa cabs with their V30 don't really have that nasal sound, but the cabs seem to also just give a stiff, cold quality to the sound as well.

I just take the nasal sound of the V30s. It's kinda charming.
Same here, the V30 are super smooth and polite in the high trebles to my ears. That's why they complement well with H30s and T75s.

blacknoizemachine

Gold Supporting Member
As others have said:

WGS veteran 30
Celestion V-Type

Plus:

A well broken in Celestion V30. Still has the mid spike, but there's something more natural sounding about it once the speakers have had a couple hundred hours at volume.

Last edited:

Roccorobb

I'm using the Mesa V30, which I love except for that little krrk in the top end; the non-Mesa kind, I don't like much.

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. Probably my favorite general-use speaker of all is the Eminence CV-75, which is 99.9% identical to the Mesa Fillmore 75, but I'm not sure I could get the same degree and type of thickness in the mids; I mentioned that speaker earlier, and I did try it with the Triple Crown, but I did it running a speaker extension cable from the cab of my Dual Rectifier Recto-Verb 25 combo, so I'm not sure what it would sound like in TC's larger enclosure. (Mesa is very particular about their cabs & builds each to bring out what they want from each amp circuit.)

So, anybody tried a Mesa V30 and a CV-75 in exactly the same cab, back to back? Could the CV-75 compete in the midrange?

And to all recommending the Governor: I know that speaker and like it quite a lot, but I've never heard it in close comparison with a V30. Is the Guv supposed to be Eminence's answer to the V30, or is it just reasonably close? Does it do that thick, liquid single-note thing? The Governors I remember hearing were a little more transparent and open-sounding, maybe a step (just a step) from the "British speaker" stereotype and toward the EVM12L thing.

And the WGS ET-65 seems to be mega-popular around here lately. Is it supposed to be the original 12-65, the ones that followed Greens and 12H30s in old Marshall cabs, or the 12M65 Creamback? And can somebody tell me about those original 12-65s? A lot of players I love mentioned them back in the day, but I've never (to my knowledge) heard one in person.

Start at 8:53 for gain tones. In this comparison I actually prefer the V30 but it's probably just because it's YouTube and the v30 is brighter in direct comparison. In real life applications, I find that I can bump the treble a smidge with the governor without fatiguing my ears.

J Factor

Silver Supporting Member
V-type from Celestion. Has the big sound, but less mid-spike.

I recently fell hard for this speaker. I mostly can't stand V30s except for certain uses but these I love. I've been playing with IRs and just bought a pair to load in my cab. Based on the IRs they sound like a good combo of Greenback and V30, more GB though to me (and others who have wrote about them here). Lovely. Also they're a few pounds lighter than a V30. I'll report back when I get some hours on them in the cab.

I'm using the Mesa V30, which I love except for that little krrk in the top end; the non-Mesa kind, I don't like much.

Yep, that thing like an angry cat's hiss that's on top of everything you play. Sounds cool in the right context, but drives me nuts otherwise. I bought one of those Mesa recto 2x12s (well broken in) and couldn't stand it at all.

I found the Creamback 75 had a similar hiss/claw that's at a slightly different pitch, so that had to go also. Greenbacks have their own scratchiness but I find it a lot more pleasant, more character than annoying.

Anyhow, I overall prefer the Fane F70 to do what one might like V30s for. It's not identical: still has the fat mids, a bit more low end, lots more clarity in the mids and highs. It might be brighter way up high but it doesn't seem brighter because it's so smooth, clear, and balanced. The midrange vowel frequency is different, more "Ah" than "Ee". It's WAY less fatiguing to listen to than a V30 because that angry cat isn't fighting whatever you're playing. By my description one might think "hey that's not even remotely the same thing", but the F70 really works well as a V30 replacement.

Edit: all my observations and preferences are specifically using a TC-50 head, btw. I had similar preferences with a Mark V but tended to lean to Greenbacks for that one.

Not my video but it really helps highlight my observations.

I recently fell hard for this speaker. I mostly can't stand V30s except for certain uses but these I love. I've been playing with IRs and just bought a pair to load in my cab. Based on the IRs they sound like a good combo of Greenback and V30, more GB though to me (and others who have wrote about them here). Lovely. Also they're a few pounds lighter than a V30. I'll report back when I get some hours on them in the cab.

Yep, that thing like an angry cat's hiss that's on top of everything you play. Sounds cool in the right context, but drives me nuts otherwise. I bought one of those Mesa recto 2x12s (well broken in) and couldn't stand it at all.

I found the Creamback 75 had a similar hiss/claw that's at a slightly different pitch, so that had to go also. Greenbacks have their own scratchiness but I find it a lot more pleasant, more character than annoying.

Anyhow, I overall prefer the Fane F70 to do what one might like V30s for. It's not identical: still has the fat mids, a bit more low end, lots more clarity in the mids and highs. It might be brighter way up high but it doesn't seem brighter because it's so smooth, clear, and balanced. The midrange vowel frequency is different, more "Ah" than "Ee". It's WAY less fatiguing to listen to than a V30 because that angry cat isn't fighting whatever you're playing. By my description one might think "hey that's not even remotely the same thing", but the F70 really works well as a V30 replacement.

Edit: all my observations and preferences are specifically using a TC-50 head, btw. I had similar preferences with a Mark V but tended to lean to Greenbacks for that one.

Not my video but it really helps highlight my observations.

Thank you for the recommendation – is the "Ascension F70" the same speaker you're talking about, or something different?

I definitely like the Fanes better than the WGS, which just sounds boxy and generic to me in the demos I've found, but even the Fane has less ... I guess I would say color than the V30? Whatever its faults, Vintage 30s are excellent at pulling out a ton of frequency response and really making you feel like you're hearing the full personality of your guitar and amp, and the Fane sounds more monotone, less texturally varied across the harmonic spectrum.

It's a very good monotone that I'd be happy with 99% of the time, I think – if those came stock in an amp, I doubt I'd ever consider changing them – but there's something a little bit too colorless about it compared to Mesa V30s, a tendency (in the demos I've heard) to impose its own sound over the amp/guitar tone that I don't like. And I notice that same thing in amps/cabs that use modern Fanes, like Fryette's stuff: I love and respect that guy to no end, but his amps often sound a little too monolithic for me, like one giant slab of sound without a lot of detail or color going on.

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
Check out the Eminence DV-77’s. I’ve got a pair and they are an excellent replacement for v30’s with a smoother top end. There are a lot of videos on them now.

DGDGBD

Silver Supporting Member
A well broken in Celestion V30. Still has the mid spike, but there's something more natural sounding about it once the speakers have had a could hundred hours at volume.
I was going to say a V30 and adjust the EQ! there's nothing like a broken in V30 in the right amp.

J Factor

Silver Supporting Member
Thank you for the recommendation – is the "Ascension F70" the same speaker you're talking about, or something different?

I definitely like the Fanes better than the WGS, which just sounds boxy and generic to me in the demos I've found, but even the Fane has less ... I guess I would say color than the V30? Whatever its faults, Vintage 30s are excellent at pulling out a ton of frequency response and really making you feel like you're hearing the full personality of your guitar and amp, and the Fane sounds more monotone, less texturally varied across the harmonic spectrum.

It's a very good monotone that I'd be happy with 99% of the time, I think – if those came stock in an amp, I doubt I'd ever consider changing them – but there's something a little bit too colorless about it compared to Mesa V30s, a tendency (in the demos I've heard) to impose its own sound over the amp/guitar tone that I don't like. And I notice that same thing in amps/cabs that use modern Fanes, like Fryette's stuff: I love and respect that guy to no end, but his amps often sound a little too monolithic for me, like one giant slab of sound without a lot of detail or color going on.

Yes, the Ascension F70 is the one I'm talking about.

It's interesting how we hear things differently! My take is that everything played through V30s sounds like V30s, but some other speakers (F70 for example) let more of the rest of the rig shine through.

I was going to say a V30 and adjust the EQ! there's nothing like a broken in V30 in the right amp.

It's not really EQ-able; it's a kind of krrk sound that I think is the psychoacoustic result of getting hit right in the resonant frequency of my eardrums with a portion of that high-mid spike (I can get the same thing out of certain amps with a very particular midrange or lower treble – my Boogie Mark I will poke you RIGHT in the ear if you're not careful).

Adjusting EQ doesn't have much effect on it, other than cutting Treble until the amp is totally inarticulate, but even that just nicks a bit off the spike; Gain, Mid, Bass, and Presence controls don't interact with it. But I'd really love it if I could keep everything else about this speaker, because it sounds fantastic in every other way! The midrange in the combination of Mesa/Boogie Triple Crown + Mesa-spec V30 is maybe the thickest and most fluid I've ever heard.

How long would you say it takes you to break in a V30? I live in a house with someone else and in a residential neighborhood, so I can't pump bass pulses through it for 36 hours or anything like that.

Yes, the Ascension F70 is the one I'm talking about.

It's interesting how we hear things differently! My take is that everything played through V30s sounds like V30s, but some other speakers (F70 for example) let more of the rest of the rig shine through.

You may be totally right – this is the only amp of mine with a V30, so it's wholly possible that what I'm hearing as the signature of the amp is partly the signature of the V30, and I just don't know what that is yet.

But I've heard so many other guitar rigs, live and especially recorded (I was an adolescent listening to rock radio from, say, 1997-2003, so "Recto or related high-gain amp + quad of V30s" is stamped deep in the part of my brain that regulates things like heartbeat and body temperature), that didn't sound much like my Triple Crown, so I'm guessing we just have different ears – and to be entirely fair, I've got weird ears, like medically weird.

Some of the hollow resonant spaces in my skull are shaped oddly and make me hypersensitive to particular frequency bands, including, I would guess, this funny scratchy anomaly in the V30. (To quote the last doctor who gave me an ear exam: "Damn, you've got crevices on top of crevices.")

KFJ

KFJ

I don’t play metal anymore, though. I still use them in a 4x12”. They are more than just “metal speakers”.

Eminence CV-75 is the answer to the question.

I love that speaker – maybe my all-time, all-purpose favorite – but I'm not sure if it's quite thick enough in the mids. Aggressive in the mids, hell yes, but maybe lacking a shade of low-mid chunk.

Top Bottom