• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

What speaker is in your Deluxe Reverb?

swiveltung

Wish I would keep my posts! I play primarily a BFDR (65) and have for decades. Been thru a lot of speakers. I lean toward a speaker that tames the highs just a bit.... but not too much, big-ish lows. late breakup with a DR. I like a fairly loud speaker with a DR , as at some bigger gigs it struggles a bit.
Here's the short version:
Weber Legacy 65 watt, 55hz cone: Currently using this and loving it.
Weber 12F150, loud, once very well broken is it's superb. Until then it's not... and it takes a while
Greenback: Tried new and vintage. Liked the new one until it got well broken in, then, too early breakup. Bright at times, but goes smooth when pushed on leads.
Emi Re White and Blues: Pretty good in a DR, probably in the top 5 but not the winner for me.
Weber Silver Bell: one of the best. 50 or 75 watt. Hemp cone or not. Similar to the Legacy in sound.
Emi GA SC64: Great in a DR, my favorite prior to the Legacy. SC64 is more like an original speaker tone wise, but with less breakup, more volume and fuller sound.
JBL: Not for me. Poor with pedals.
EV 15B: great, but heavy and used it in a separate cab.
Utah 12 out of a Pro Reverb: Pretty darn nice, if you don't want a super efficient speaker.
Emi 12 out of a mid 70's Twin Reverb: Very Nice, warmish, big, full
Jensen RI C12K: big sound, kind of flat sounding without a lot of character. Clean though, but not bright.
Celestion G12-65 or Creamback also: Too scooped, doesn't cut thru the mix well.
Weber Cali: Not great for me. Kinda flat and clean, like the Jensen C12K.
Emi Texas Heat: like it but a bit too much breakup gigging. Gets a gnarly , but minor "bacon frying" edge to it.
Cannabis Rex: Indistinct, too much breakup gigging.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I have a Tone Tubby original alnico hempcone in my '66 Deluxe Reverb. A match made in heaven. Louder, solid bass, and a sweet high end that sounds great when the amp is driven into distortion. I've had it in there for over six years now with no desire to swap it out.

rufedges

Boutique - Vintage Sound SC22 (larger, custom cabinet). Running an Eminence Commonwealth 12" speaker,........glorious SRV tones with the right guitar, pedals, and settings. Originally the cab was built to house a vintage EVM12L, but after running that for a while, the Eminence kicked the EVM to Ebay overnight.

Oatie

Slider, that is the perfect speaker for the DR, so hard to find the 8 ohm speakers. Where did yours come from? I have two blackback 16 ohm T1221 speakers

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Slider, that is the perfect speaker for the DR, so hard to find the 8 ohm speakers. Where did yours come from? I have two blackback 16 ohm T1221 speakers
I believe I bought it from someone here. It was re-coned, I believe by Weber, before I purchased it. It has pre-Rola doping.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Typically a JBL D120 but recently I've had a Jupiter 12LC in my '78. The D123 is also a great option. I may have to put it in for a bit.

veendog

In my 74 Deluxe Reverb I go between Celestion A-type and Vintage 30. The V30 is a little more loud/aggressive mids and the A-Type is smooother on the top end and a little quieter. Both sound great, I can;t decide between them.

David Garner

Mine is an Oldfield clone, and I've tried three -- the Tone Tubby that came in it (an original green frame ceramic), an Eminence Private Jack and a Weber 12F150. The 12F150 has stayed in it for several years.

They're all good. The Tone Tubby had incredible low end, but didn't play well with pedals, probably because of that low end. It also didn't break up much and when it did it was harsh and spiky. Probably never broke it in to tell the truth. The Private Jack was fantastic with pedals and dirt, but not as good for the typical Fender cleans. I enjoyed it when I was trying to make the DR sound more Marshall-ish. The Weber is just that classic smooth tone. A little warm on the top end, but I just turn the treble up to get more sizzle. Great low end. Still not great with a lot of gain, but I don't use the amp that way anymore anyway.

It really depends on what you want. The good thing about a Deluxe Reverb is they tend to sound like a small Fender combo no matter what speaker you run. If you want the classic tone, the Weber or a Jensen would be perfect. Since you've tried an original Oxford and an original C12N, maybe the Gold is more what you're looking for. If not, give a more Brit-voiced speaker a try. I'd wager in addition to the Private Jack, something like a G12H30 would be good. I may run mine through my Marshall cabinet just to see how that works. It's closed back, but it would at least give some kind of idea.

pantshappened

A good buddy of mine has a 63 (i think?) brownface Deluxe NR and it has a Vintage 30 in it. Literally one of the best amps I've ever heard. His friends would all plug into it when they were younger, since it has 2 channels and 4 inputs and they didn't know any better. Then when it came time to get it fixed I think his tech friend had the speaker lying around so he threw it in and it ended up making the amp sing. Huge sound

David Garner

A good buddy of mine has a 63 (i think?) brownface Deluxe NR and it has a Vintage 30 in it. Literally one of the best amps I've ever heard. His friends would all plug into it when they were younger, since it has 2 channels and 4 inputs and they didn't know any better. Then when it came time to get it fixed I think his tech friend had the speaker lying around so he threw it in and it ended up making the amp sing. Huge sound
I despise Vintage 30s, but I've only tried them with Marshall amps. I'm now intrigued. Maybe one day….

Thanks for posting this. It's always interesting to learn these little secrets that people discover by happenstance.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I have a highly modded '71 SFDR. I keep flopping between a UK made G12H30 Anniversary and a UK made Vintage 30. Both of them sound great with this amp.

This week I'm on the G12H30 - it gives me a bit more sparkle.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I despise Vintage 30s, but I've only tried them with Marshall amps. I'm now intrigued. Maybe one day….

Thanks for posting this. It's always interesting to learn these little secrets that people discover by happenstance.
I've used Vintage 30's with BF and SF Fenders for years now. I love the extra mids that I get - it kinda corrects the mid-scoop of the Fenders.

Bikedude

When I had my Drri (2007) I clipped the bright cap, and threw in a Cannibis Rex. Sounded like a blanket was over the amp. Put the stock Jensen back in and it was better, but my Goodsell MKII-17 killed it tone wise. So I sold in a couple of years ago. Also sold the Goodsell to a good friend, who loves it. I'll have another someday, but I haven't touched any of my amps since the band I joined goes direct, so my Kemper is my workhorse. Quite frankly I have a few Deluxe Profiles that sound better than my Drri.

Trending Topics