1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What speaker is like a 1265 but louder?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fast ricky love, May 23, 2008.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I love 1265's, but due to their low sensitivity, they aren't loud enough to make it in my Reinhardt MI6 18w'er... Any options that have that tone but are rated higher?

I know the Tonespotter has been mentioned, but it's top end is supposed to sound different (not as good) so I'd rather hear about something else.

2. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

those new WGS 65s may be 100db. no word yet.

3. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

Two of them? ;)

4. bosstone

bosstone Member

Just crank up the amp some more.

5. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

A lot of the guys who are into the "Du*ble" tone like the 12-65's ... in fact, Robben Ford uses them. Prior to the 12-65's being reissued, many of those same people used Eminence Red, White & Blues so you may want to try them.

They are 101db efficient and should work well in a low-power situation.

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

7. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

I think he wants "louder" since he is using an 18W amp

I have a 50W amp and use 2 - RW&B's and I am moving to 12-65 so I can turn my amp a little more. The RW&B's are too efficient in my application and I'd like to turn my amp up a little more closer to it's "sweet spot".

8. fast ricky love

I've got the amp pinned with my 1265 and it isn't loud enough...

9. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Higher sensitivity and/ or efficiency would usually mean a heavier magnet. A heavier magnet would probably flatten the mids. I'm a fan of Weber speakers and they can basically put together any kind of speaker for their customers. I believe boosting the magnet slightly with a neodymium magnet could maintain the tone rather unaffected yet make it more efficient.

10. fast ricky love

Aside from having Ted Weber build me something, I'm thinking there is no option... last chance for a differing opinion! :)