What speakers best resemble a Fender Twins?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tmd187, Feb 6, 2006.

1. tmd187

tmd187 Member

Hi Everyone,
    I am trying to buy an Avatar Custom 412 Cabinet, but I must choose what type of Speakers I want in it! Having no knowledge besides the one's I have used in the past, being the Fender Twin's, I need your input on which ones to get! Having that said, my Choices are between Celestions and Eminence Speakers.
    The Celestions are:
    -G12H80's
    -7080's
    -Vintage 30's
    -Greenbacks
    -G12H30's
    -Classic Lead 80's
    The Eminence are:
    -Alnico 122's 35 watt
    -M12's
    -Swamp Thangs
    -Govenors
    -Private Jacks
    -Tonkers
    -Texas Heats
    Remember, I want the closest thing to what a Fender Twin has, since I am miking my Twin, going through a Mixer, Mesa 50/50 Power Amp->Cabinet, in Stereo, so the Input A will control the Right side of the Cab, Input B will control the Left side of the cab, so I can mix and match, or just go straight up will 4 of the same, I need your input. I play music like Phish, Grateful Dead, Rush, but I love the American Sound, and don't want any British sound i.e. Marshall type speakers. So what would you do? I really do need your advice, thanks so much everyone! God Bless You!
    Trav
    You can either respond here, or email me what you think!
    My email is tmd187@psu.edu

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

Out of the speakers you listed, Swamp Thangs and Texas Heats are best for the Fender Sound.

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I don't believe any of the speakers you listed will sound like a Twin. It's a very subjective thing as Twin's came with,Oxfords,Jensens,Utah,JBL's and later CTS and Rola speakers. The Jensen's sounded the best to me with the CTS's coming in second. Weber has a great selection and will make you anything you want as long as you know which magnet size,voice coil size and cone type you prefer.Just MHO.

4. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

+1 for the Jensens. I have a pair of C12N's that I use with my Bassman when I want the fender clean tone. My 65 Twin had these same speakers and to my ears, they are the best.

I say buy the cab unloaded, then get the Jensens.

Steve

5. Shea

Shea Member

I'd agree as to vintage Jensen C12Ns. I have one in a Twin, and IMO it's a perfect match for it.

I don't know about the reissues. I haven't tried them, but I gather they are not exactly the same speaker. I think I've read that a recone kit for a vintage Jensen won't fit a reissue, which would seem to indicate that they're not the same speakers.

Shea

6. hasserl

hasserl Member

Of the speakers you listed the closest you will get for a Twin sound is the Swamp Thang. The Tonker may be the second best for you, and two of each might be really cool. Put them in a cross pattern.

The other one you might consider is the Texas Heat. But it will give a bit more speaker breakup than either the Swamp Thang or Tonker. The Texas Heat is great for that Texas Blues Rock ZZ Top thing.

7. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I tried reissue Jensen ceramic C10Q TENS in a Vibrolux and didn't like them though they sounded ok at low volumes.

Then I tried a reissue Jensen C12N TWELVE in my '64 Deluxe and loved it. Just bought another for my second '64 Deluxe. My Deluxe with the 12 actually has more volume, bass, and clean headroom than my vibrolux ever did even with new output tubes and proper bias.

IMHO Jensen got the 12 right, but the 10s are questionable.

I'd try them in a Twin if I had one. They're only $47 or so each (plus shipping) from http://www.vintagespeaker.com/search.html?fullpage=1&productid=C12N&selectmain=Speaker&selectsub=12%20inch%20speaker