What speakers for 2x12 cab and Mesa F50 head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mims2, Aug 5, 2008.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

I just bought an empty Lopoline 2x12 diagonal cab. I play in a cover band doing ALL types of music and I mainly use my Mesa F-50 head. I have vintage 30's and T75's but want to try some other options. Can anyone give any suggestions? Thanks!

2. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

I was gonna suggest vintage 30s when I saw your thread title, I think they sound great with a F-50. You could try Eminence governors if you like that tone but want a slight variation.

3. mims2

mims2 Member

How do the governors vary from the V30's? Also, what would something like Scumbacks or Webers sound like?

4. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

The governors sound a lot like a vintage 30, but to my ears don't have quite as much of the upper-mid spike and have a slightly rounder bottom end. They're also 75 watt speakers vs. the 60-watt vintage 30.

I don't have experience with Scumbacks or Webers, perhaps someone else can weigh in?

5. mims2

mims2 Member

Okay thanks. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

6. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

I had the combo which came with thier black shadow, I put a Vin 30 in there, and took that out and then put in a G12H30 70th which stayed, and I felt like that was The speaker for the combo, sounded better then the others to me.

7. mims2

mims2 Member

thanks. What about anything other than Celestions?

8. hipfan

hipfan Member

I had a F50 1x12 for a month when they first came out. I ran it through a Demeter 2x12 loaded with Weber Blue Dogs (one AlNiCo, one ceramic), and it sounded really sweet. Much better than the combo's single Black Shadow.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I bet my new faves would work nicely with the F-50- a couple of G12K-100's. Smooth on top with big mids and lows. Bob