• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What speakers for a Matchless...

I was wondering what speakers others are using/found to work well with a Matchlesss. I noticed alot of boutique and Fender type amp owners swap out their speakers with their favorite types of speakers. Do Matchless owners do the same or are the 'specially modified' Celestions doing the trick for you? I had read one article where Mark Sampson said he tried out a bunch of different speakers and put alot of time into choosing the right speaker. Agreed or given all the new speakers on the market now, are people finding a better speaker(s)? Thanks.

JimmyR

Most guys I know who play Matchless amps keep the stock speakers in. They're nothing special - just a G12M Greenback and a G12H. They do the acetone trick on the dope to make 'em sound a bit more played in but that's pretty much it.

I have heard Matchless' through a Blue and it's a bit too bright. I guess that's why they went with the speakers they did. I suspect that V30s might actually sound pretty good with a DC30.

With my Bad Cat Cub IIR I tried a blue and a G12H (one of my fave speakers) in it but actually prefer the stock Bad Cat V30. In my Hotcat I like the G12H. If I were to buy a Matchless again I would probably stick with the stock speakers. They suit the amp. Marshalls and Fenders are a different story...

Most guys I know who play Matchless amps keep the stock speakers in. They're nothing special - just a G12M Greenback and a G12H. They do the acetone trick on the dope to make 'em sound a bit more played in but that's pretty much it.

I have heard Matchless' through a Blue and it's a bit too bright. I guess that's why they went with the speakers they did. I suspect that V30s might actually sound pretty good with a DC30.
quote]

That's what I kinda notice...that most Matchless players just stick with the stock Matchless speakers (G12H-30 and sometimes also a G12M-25 if they use more than one speaker). However, many players seem to immediately swap out their stock speakers in their Fenders & boutique amps with Tone Tubbies, Scumbacks, Austin Speaker Works, etc. Is it that the other companies speakers aren't as good or are these high end/custom made speakers possibly better than the celestions for a Matchless? Keep it coming please, I would like to get more opinions?

lukeII

I want to try my Chieftain through a Matchless cab with the G12h30 and greenback as I've never heard that combo. For the moment I am playing it through a Reinhardt 12-65H (brighter version of the 1265). Sounds great with tight bass and thick mids and slightly tamed highs (the Reinhardt is not as dark as Celestion or TR 1265). It is probably closest to a Scumback M75HP.

I play my cheiftain prototype through a 2-12 eds matchless cab..stock speakers I got from Michael Landau. I dont hear a reason to change a thing It is an amazing amp setup.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I like the G12H/G12M combo with a 2x12, but I've switched my 1x12 Chieftain over to a V30 - works a lil better to me than the solo G12H did, but it's still pretty bright.

I've thought about trying a Gold, bust most folks feel that it's not a good match. Maybe an EVM-12L should be next on my list?

Stormin!

Madison

I've bought dozens of speakers in the last few years, but would never replace the stock Celestions in my Matchless amps. Both have the treated G12H-30

Last edited:

Rusty G.

I've got a DC-30 and it's still got the stock speakers. Although, if I had a lightning, I'd like to put in a Celestion Blue. . .but I don't, so that's that! :jo

Guinness Lad

I use a Scumback H75 and M75 in my 2x12 and a H75 LHDC in my 1x12. Sounds great to me. I never had a Matchless cabinet however.

lukeII

I wonder if the Matchess 2x12 cabs would also work well with other amps such as Fender, Dumbke types or a Suhr Badger. In any case for most of what I've read here on the forum it seems to be the go to cab for anything Matchless.

sickboy79

I think Matchless amps sounds best with Celestions - but, that's my ears. The stock Matchless Celestions are fantastic! I've got a Matchless 2x10 with their G10L35s which are great, and a a 4x12 w/the GB/G12H30 mix - all fantastic stuff. Especially when they are well broken in. They also sound AMAZING through older vintage speakers - especially Celestions.

They sound good with V30s too - but, I prefer G12Ms/G12Hs more. But, that's my ear.

I haven't played any of my Matchless amps through any other speakers yet - I should one of these days!

bigeric

I had a spitfire combo for 10 years. After a while i switched over to a head and 2x12 cab. I loaded the cab with 2 webers, a ceramic blue dog and a silver bell. Sounded great and warmed up the spit a bit. Curse me for playing the damn Bruno. Shes gone now but not forgotten. The webers were killer.

GtrWiz

I have a c-30 that came as a 4x10 combo, used the stock speakers for years and loved it. I split it into a head and cab and go between the 4x10 and a 2x12 with a V30 and a greenback, both sound great!

JimmyR

The reason Marshall and Fender amp users swap speakers is because the stock speakers haven't (usually) been selected purely for tonal reasons. The 75W Celestions in most modern Marshall quads are nasty nasal sounding speakers IMHO. The G12Hs sound light years better but cost more. Not much more, but enough to make Marshall use the 75s. Modern Fender speakers are usually cheap Eminence or similar and the amp can again sound hugely better with a speaker change.

Changing speakers can be a revelation in a lot of amps. It is one of the best things you can do to improve the sound of an amp - if you choose the right speaker(s). Matchless players don't need to worry so much because the speakers have been chosen by the manufacturer wisely. You might notice that Matchless amps cost more than the average Fender or Marshall - they don't skimp on what it takes to make a great-sounding, reliable amp.

You don't need to spend a fortune to get a great tone. But now that I have gotten used to what a good amp can sound like I have been a bit spoilt and don't really like the sound of most new mass produced Fenders and Marshalls. They always sound a bit thin and toppy. The hand-wired series are generally better, fuller sounding amps. It's not because they're handwired, but often because they come with better speakers and cabs and sometimes slightly better component quality. And mainly because they are based on old, simple circuits that plain sound good.

It's like anything. You can buy a cheaper version of a bike or a guitar and upgrade some parts to get a good sound for less money. Or buy a more expensive version and not have to change a thing.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
Just bought a used Chieftain head. I haven't had he opportunity to play it through a Matchless cab but I can tell you this:

1. It sounded really good through a Z open back 2 x 12 with Golds. The highs get a little "plinky" so if I'm high up on the neck, I roll off the guitar treble controls. Sweet and punchy everywhere else. TIGHT bottom and very bold.

2. It sounded less good through a Germino open back 2 x 12 with Heritage G-12-65's. Less punchy, bottoms not quite as tight, but less plink on the top end.

3. It sounded interesting through a 1 x 12 Mesa LSS cab with the stock Mesa/ Celestion speaker (is it a V30?). Much less bottom, but it broker up more quickly and actually had an interesting "ratty" dirty tone. Definitiely usable in a small environment.

ScioBro

I use the stock speakers mainly
I do have a Lightning head that is currently used with an Avatar 2x12 opn back with G12H30 and Blue...sounds great.

I think Celection-ish speakers would work great...Eminence C-Rex
Tone Tubby ceramic...Jensen Electric Jet

rburkard

Platinum Supporting Member
I experimented quite a bit with my Phoenix and SC30 with all kinds of different speakers. The original G12M and G12H Matchless is offering are a very good match. I) did not like the Celestion Gold nor the G1265 with these amps. The Scumback M75 is my favourite.
Rene

matchless

Gold Supporting Member
A sro electro-voice (paint can variety) sounds very nice and full with my chieftain,but I still use the stock 2-12 speakers for best over all sound.they also sound perfect with my blonde bassman

I wonder if the Matchess 2x12 cabs would also work well with other amps such as Fender, Dumbke types or a Suhr Badger. In any case for most of what I've read here on the forum it seems to be the go to cab for anything Matchless.
Funny you would ask, I've been playing my TR Classic Reverb through my Matchless DSS 1X12 and I think it sounds pretty fantastic. I noticed that the Matchless cab/treated G12H-30 seem to handle the bright, mid, deep, & negative feeback switch changes really well. I had played the Classic Reverb through the TR cabs while shopping and didn't notice any degradation of tone when I brought it home and plugged it into the Matchless cab. Of course I haven't had the chance to play both cabs side by side with the same head so I can't comment on if the subtle differences. I used to have a 1971 Marshall 4X12 with greenbacks and I did notice that the Matchless sounded a lot better through the Matchless cab than the Marshall cab. I also thought my Marshall heads sounded pretty dang good through the Matchless cab so I ended up selling my Marshall basketweave cab since I didn't need a 4X12 anymore.

That was starting to get a little off the original point of my post though. Back to the original subject =) It seems that the consensus is that people think the Matchless amps pair pretty much perfectly with the Matchless cabs/speakers and don't feel a need to switch speakers. Some folks have also gotten good results with other types of cabs/speakers however I didn't notice anyone bluntly state that they had a Matchless cab/speaker and found another speaker that worked noticeably better for what they were looking for. Sounds like if it's not broken don't mess with it, which is pretty hard to do for many of the folks with GAS/tone chasers. Thanks for all the input, if anyone else has other views/more to add please let us know.

Trending Topics