What speakers for Tweed Deluxe and Reverb Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thiagozt, Jan 6, 2008.

1. thiagozt

thiagozt Member

I just finished building 2 amps and they sound really good. One's a 5e3 Tweed Deluxe and the other one is a classisc blackface Deluxe Reverb. I built them as heads but I want to convert them to combos ( I already bought the cabinets), but I don't know what speakers to get. I've been running them through a celestion blue and a weber silver bell, but they're not ideal for what I want I guess.

The tricky part is, I run both of them at the same time when I practice with my band, so I guess I need to pick the speakers wisely.

I play dirty/gritty garage blues/rock at slight to mid break-up
    amp volumes with only booster as my effects, all the distortion comes from the amps+boosters combination.

A few of the speakers I had in mind are:
    -Weber 12F150
    -Weber 12A125
    -Celestion G12H
    I haven't had much luck with Eminence or Jensens so far.. but I would still consider one of those if it's recommended well enough.

I think that's enough for a post... thanks guys

2. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

For the Tweed Deluxe get a Weber 12A125-A.

3. thiagozt

thiagozt Member

what are the main differences between the 12A125 and the 12A150?
    From what I heard, the 12A125 has more top end but not a lot of low-end, and the 12A150 is the other way around. Of course it's not that simple, but... what do you think?

4. go7

go7 Member

12A125 is 1 1/4 in, voice coil
    12A150 is 1 1/2 in. voice coil.
    Visit Weber vst for more info. Good Luck!

5. gnugear

gnugear Member

6. thiagozt

thiagozt Member

I know they have different sized coils and I read weber's website over and over. I guess the reason why I'm asking here is because I want to know people's opinions, not the manufacturer's. But thanks for the tip.

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

One of my favorite speakers for a Deluxe -- Tweed or BF -- is a Weber California 12 with a paper dust cap.

Tight low end, increased headroom, and the grind of the amp comes through loud and clear.

I've had one in my '54 Deluxe for about 10 years now, and I love it!

8. HKGuns

HKGuns Member

Concur with the Weber Rec's. Also, check out the Celestion Blue.

9. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I have 69 deluxe reverb and I tried:

Weber 12f150
    Weber calif with paper dome
    Original oxford
    Eminence cannabis rex

The winner for my particualr amp was the cannabis rex. It is detailed, good highs and lows and there is no ice-pick effect with the high end. I can now turn my amp up to 6 before it starts getting gritty. It used to only make it to 4 with the oxford.

10. thiagozt

thiagozt Member

I have the tweed deluxe running through a Celestion Blue right now. I really like it, it has the "swirl" going on for sure. The mismatched 16 ohms speaker (against the 8 ohm amp tap) gives it a little extra brightness to compensate the darkness of my gretsch DeArmond 2000 pickups, which I like. I think it's a keeper, now I just have to figure out what to do get for the Deluxe Reverb.
    Any suggestions?

11. Crikey

Crikey Member

Cool. I was surprised at the first post when you said you'd tried a Blue but didn't like it. I heard a Blue in a 5E3-like amp (the new Fender '57 with the piano-lacquered cabinet) over the weekend and I think it sounds great. I wouldn't have guessed before I heard it, but it convinced me.

Then again, it all depends on what your ears like, and no two ears are identical.

Crikey

12. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I like my DR to sound less like a DR so I have a Cannibus Rex in it. Took out the shrill and warmed it up, less sterile sounding now.

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the timbres i use sound not far from what U describe. the 12A125A is my fave speaker in the tweed deluxe. swampier and more character than the highly vaunted celestion AlNiCo.
    no opinion on the black face deluxe...

14. slegros

slegros Member

Jensen Neo, a touch of vintage vibe, but very well balanced, in a 1x12 the lightweight also makes the amp easily portable.

15. 5E3

5E3 Member

I have a Celestion G12H30 in my 5E3 Tweed Deluxe and like it a lot! I think you'll need to try a few that you decide are suitable test subjects and decide what your ears like the best in the end. Enjoy the journey :AOK

16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    I really like the Cannibis Rex with those Fender amps

17. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I agree, that or a JBL D120F (of course that's not going to be cheap, and personally I'd prefer a felt dust cap instead of the aluminum, although some people would shoot you for that).

18. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

19. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

In my opinion nothing beats a vintage (NOT reissue) Jensen P12Q in a tweed Deluxe. This amp and speaker were made for each other.

For a BF Deluxe Reverb I like the Weber 12F150, but these amps are so great and so versatile that lots of different speakers work well in them. The Celestion Vintage 30 is a great choice, as is the G12H. I have a Weber California in a 1x12 detuned cab that I sometimes plug the DR into. The sound is simply amazing, though much of that is the cab itself. But, as Dave Orban says above, the California tightens the low end, increases headroom, and lets everything the amp has to give come shining though.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  20. Redfish

Redfish Member

Are you talking Alnico?