What speakers in your Goodsell?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by akivisuals, Apr 9, 2008.

1. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

I've got a Goodsell 5 on it's way to me and was wondering what you Goodsell owners have in your amps. I know that he's only made 19 of these 5's though. I'm thinking of replacing the speaker with a Celestion Blue that I have sitting around. Since the amp is an EL84 amp and I've heard it has an AC15 kind of vibe maybe the Blue would lend itself to that kind of tone. What have you guys tried in your Goodsells?

2. mild

mild Member

You can't go wrong with a Blue.

I run a 17 into a THD cab - stock speakers are still in there (Longhorn + V30). It sounds fantastic, a really pronounced, tight bottom end. I've tried it with a Celestion Gold as well, and it all of a sudden had a lot more grind in the upper range - I really liked it, it was that instant "vox" sound.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I would venture to say it's going to sound really nice and chimey with a Blue. If the Blue is not broken in it might sound a tad harsh in the upper midrange and highs but once it's breaks in it would be sweet.
    I say this because I've had a blue that I used with a number of different amp heads (with Vox, Marshall and mixed Vox Marshall tones) and that is the exact experience I had.
    I have to say, if only 19 of the Goodsell 5's were produced I'm almost positive that they are ALL owned by TGP'ers... unless the same few amps are getting passed around between everyone.

:stir

I want one ;(

4. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

They are probably getting passed around on TGP. I've seen a few over the past week though and there's one for sale right now in the buy-and-sell forum.

Thanks for the input on the Blue, I think I'll have to give it a shot.

Anyone else have experiences with different speakers in a Goodsell?

5. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

most of the time I use a G12H-30 in a Dr. Z open back cab. Sounds really good. I also have used it with a Mojave 2X12 semi-open back w/ Blues. It sounded really great with that too. FWIW, due to taxes the 17 is for sale here at the emporium. Great amp, wish I could keep it.

6. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

Richard's new RGB seems quite interesting! http://www.superseventeen.com/goodsell_models.html can't wait to hear it or reports on it. I have an older G12H 70th anniversary in my S17 combo which sounds great. I've also used a S17 head through an AC30CC 2x12 cab w/ blues that sounded tremendous. you can't go wrong w/ that choice.