• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What speakers should I get for a silverface Vibrolux?

kazukun

It's a '75, currently with a pair of JBL D110f speakers. Great speakers, but the amp just stays clean almost all the way. And it just doesn't like pedals, at all. All I get is unpleasant distortion. The amp sounds way too clean IMO, not sure if the fact it's a SF has anything to do with that.

Not necessarily looking for early break up. As long as I can push the amp with a TS and get there.

swiveltung

Yeah, that would be a clean and heavy amp for sure. There have been a couple very long discussions on speakers for the Vlux in the last couple of years here. Hopefully you can find them.
I would be tempted to try the GA SC64 10". I tried Jupiter and Greenback tens and didn't keep them. Hard to recommend speakers for people though. I had two Weber 10F150's in a 73 Vlux. It was luscious but very loud.

71strat

It's a '75, currently with a pair of JBL D110f speakers. Great speakers, but the amp just stays clean almost all the way. And it just doesn't like pedals, at all. All I get is unpleasant distortion. The amp sounds way too clean IMO, not sure if the fact it's a SF has anything to do with that.

Not necessarily looking for early break up. As long as I can push the amp with a TS and get there.

SRV used the E110s in his Super Reverbs, and they are even more powerful, clean vs the DFs.

I love the DFs myself, but they require a complete Re EQ of the AMP/Guitar. I run 2 Hemp Coned E120s on 1-2 on the Treble, 1-3 on Presence. Bass 8, mids 10, Tone on original 66 Strat neck pup on 3-6. x Metro GMP45. Im also not after speaker breakup.

You may want to look into the Tone Tubby Alnico Reds. Those are what I would get, if you want a speker that does great OD/Cleans. It is much more forgiving than JBL, and I understand many just don't like JBL.

The TT IMHO is 1 of the better 10 inch speakers available.

Also sure that you do know if those D110F of yours have original great shape cones, they are a very valuable speaker.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member

i might catch flak for this, but the c10q's work! put in my 63 vibroverb reissue, and it sounds just fine. those alessandros are probably a winner too, i haven't heard 'em.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Has the amp ever been serviced? That's the first thing to do, if it hasn't. I'll probably get some grief for saying; a silverface isn't going to sound like a blackface, period. By '75 the 5U4 was the rectifier of choice, the power transformer was changed (see 5U4), the cab was no longer finger jointed pine and the circuit wasn't the AA964 or even close. These amps, while tighter and cleaner, need a speaker that has some chime with good overtones . The Celestion alnico gold 10 would work well. Sell the D110F's and grab a pair of golds.

kazukun

SRV used the E110s in his Super Reverbs, and they are even more powerful, clean vs the DFs.

I love the DFs myself, but they require a complete Re EQ of the AMP/Guitar. I run 2 Hemp Coned E120s on 1-2 on the Treble, 1-3 on Presence. Bass 8, mids 10, Tone on original 66 Strat neck pup on 3-6. x Metro GMP45. Im also not after speaker breakup.

You may want to look into the Tone Tubby Alnico Reds. Those are what I would get, if you want a speker that does great OD/Cleans. It is much more forgiving than JBL, and I understand many just don't like JBL.

The TT IMHO is 1 of the better 10 inch speakers available.

Also sure that you do know if those D110F of yours have original great shape cones, they are a very valuable speaker.
I absolutely love the JBLs, and I don't think any speaker will give me a better clean tone, also the tight bass is perfect. I may get a cab for them if I take them out. Thank you for the suggestion, I think alnico is probably the direction I'm going.. despite the extra weight. I thought stevie used EVs, or he switched?

The speakers are in excellent condition btw, wish I could show you a better picture.

i might catch flak for this, but the c10q's work! put in my 63 vibroverb reissue, and it sounds just fine. those alessandros are probably a winner too, i haven't heard 'em.
And I actually really like the C12K in my DRRI, and it seems like an unpopular opinion. Wouldn't hurt to try Jensens I guess, they're fairly cheap.

Has the amp ever been serviced? That's the first thing to do, if it hasn't. I'll probably get some grief for saying; a silverface isn't going to sound like a blackface, period. By '75 the 5U4 was the rectifier of choice, the power transformer was changed (see 5U4), the cab was no longer finger jointed pine and the circuit wasn't the AA964 or even close. These amps, while tighter and cleaner, need a speaker that has some chime with good overtones . The Celestion alnico gold 10 would work well. Sell the D110F's and grab a pair of golds.
I've heard great things about the celestion golds. And I'm actually going to take it to a tech soon for maintenance check. I'm not very tech savvy, but from what I can tell the rectifier has been modded in a SS way. I will get that reverted though.

BlueRiff

I prefer the Silverface sound to the blackface. Just as rich sounding, but more headroom. I would lose the JBLs unless you want to play steel guitar and move into some Jensen C10Qs or EMI Legend 1058s. That will get you some texture and warmth to your notes.

bgio

I have a Weber 10a125/10f150 mix in my '78 vibrolux. I am extremely happy with it. No desire to ever change.

illini

My 71 Vibrolux had Celestion Vintage 10's in it. Not sure if those are still made or not, but it sounded perfect with that amp, and broke up nicely.

fitz

i might catch flak for this, but the c10q's work
I agree as well. The newer Jensens pair nicely with Silverface and Blackface amps. They retain the Fender sparkle w/o coloring the sound. I tried the Eminence 1058 in my PRRI. While it was a good sounding speaker and made the amp louder and more efficient, all the Fender character that I liked in the amp was gone and the original Jensen went back in quickly.

Tone Meister

The unpleasant distortion is very likely from the JBLs and you've gotten plenty of great speaker suggestions thus far. Personally, I like the vintage CTS alnicos, and the closest to those these days is the Eminence 1028K.

You also mentioned the amp sounds way too clean. Assuming the components in the doghouse are stock, changing the dropping resistors to 10K/10K will lower the preamp voltages which will mitigate some of the stridence. The schematic for that amp (AA270) shows there should be 10K/4.7K in there now.

kazukun

A little off topic, but while doing some speaker hunting on Craigslist, I came across someone selling an (I quote) "extremely rare" 76 twin for 3k. Apparently the guy is charging extra for JBLs, recent service, and.. Wait for it... the push/pull master.

gldtp99

I have original Reverend Alltone 1025's in my BF Vibrolux Reverb replica------ they aren't made anymore but there are new Alltones here----- made by WGS to Alltone specs: http://www.alltonespeakers.com/product-page/df19c1f7-07d8-a265-42f8-e8dfa824cc6e

In my amp the orig Alltones provide a beautiful, rich clean tone and pair up well with OD pedals--- I usually use a Keeley modded TS9.
I originally had a pair of modern Jensen C10Q's and it took them a long time to start to sound acceptable (harsh/tinny)---- the Alltones sounded great as soon as I put them in

Last edited:

kwicked

So i am going to do the TGP thing that annoys the heck out of me and suggest something totally different than what you asked about. Talk to your tech about a NFB loop resistor pot. May get you more of the sound you are looking for - check out the Custom Vibrolux Reissues and if that is the tone you are seeking, this may be the way to get there (and adjustable and reversible) rather than different speakers. More aggressive, earlier breakup, different (if not better) sound with pedals. I like it best at lower volume and completely out/off at higher volumes (back to standard). Adds great versatility to the SFVR - imo of course.

71strat

I absolutely love the JBLs, and I don't think any speaker will give me a better clean tone, also the tight bass is perfect. I may get a cab for them if I take them out. Thank you for the suggestion, I think alnico is probably the direction I'm going.. despite the extra weight. I thought stevie used EVs, or he switched?

He switched when JBL stopped making the E series speakers.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom